1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama should lose on both competency and philosophy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Aug 12, 2012.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You try and try to claim that, but it's not true. Just listen to his speech. It's obvious that he is discrediting the hard work that people have put in, instead describing how others have helped them out.

"If you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own." NUFF SAID

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YKjPI6no5ng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fixed that for ya.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

lol, for the 1% maybe. Everyone else will see their taxes raised.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Please provide a story of someone who was successful solely on their own accord?

Thanks!

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

that wasn't the spirit of Obama's speech, and you know it

what a stretch on your part

6. joesr

joesr Member

Lets just reverse our technology and everyone will get their jobs back.

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Pretty sad that Romney has to rely on an out of context quote as the lynchpin of his attacks on the President.

Everyone sees it that way texxx

8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Here is the full quote from Obama's Meltdown: If you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think well it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than anybody else. Let me tell you something, there are a lot of hard working people out there. If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have to allow you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The internet didn’t get created on its own. Government research crated the internet so that all of the companies could make money off of the internet.

So entrepreneuers:
    1. Aren't as smart as they think they are
    2. Didn't work as hard as they thought
    3. Didn't build their own business

Hard to argue with his OWN WORDS.

9. mc mark

Well anyone who is sane knows what the president was saying.

10. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

First -

Your conclusions are incorrect. If you were able to consider the quote objectively the conclusions would be:
    1) You did not succeed based on your intelligence alone
    2) You did not succeed based solely on hard work
    3) You did not succeed solely with what you accomplished with your own two hands.

It brings about a philosophical point that my uncle was fond of hammering into my brain at an early age: Nobody gets rich based on their own two hands. And he was as right wing as you can get with a couple of tours in Vietnam. Yet, he still understood this universal truth where it seems you have difficulty grasping the concept.

Which, in fact, says more about you than it does about your president for the next four years.

11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Here is Obama, literally MOCKING the intelligence and work ethic of small business owners. This man has a DISDAIN for people who own their own businesses and entrepreneurs. How anyone can say otherwise, after 4 years of demonizing businesses and making it harder for them to function, is just unbelievable. It's his own words people -- and four years of context to back it up. Go ahead and try to tell us why you think his own words really don't tell the story -- we'll enjoy laughing at you (like Obama laughs at the efforts of American business owners).

I’m always struck by people who think well it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than anybody else. Let me tell you something, there are a lot of hard working people out there.

12. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

Your president is exactly correct.

13. mc mark

Mr Obama has done more for small business and kept taxes lower for small businesses than any president in the last 30 years.

from the Obama website

That’s why President Obama has passed tax cuts for small businesses 18 times and streamlined the patent process, providing a new fast track option to cut wait times by two-thirds and help small business innovators move ideas from the lab to market.

The Affordable Care Act provides small business owners with better affordable health care options for employees, simpler administrative operating rules, and billions of dollars in tax relief.

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

hard work?

Digging a ditch or cut and paste boiler plate?

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

So when you said "NUFF SAID" you really meant you had to add some more commentary to get across your point? ok, got it!

16. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

The fact that you can't see both parts of the statement you quoted says all anyone needs to know about you. There is no "discrediting" whatsoever, just an acknowledgement that the society we have created plays a part in the success of every single successful person in this country. You are welcome to disagree, but you are arguing against the reality of the situation.

17. GladiatoRowdy

Yes, it was. This was the entire point of that speech and it is obvious to anyone with a brain what he meant. I am sorry you don't seem to be in the aforementioned category, but there it is.

18. GladiatoRowdy

He said nothing of the like. The words we are arguing with are yours, not Obama's.

19. GladiatoRowdy

I really, TRULY love laughing at you and this is making me laugh, literally out loud.

After 4 years of Fox telling rubes that Obama "demonizes businesses," now they are reduced to using an OBVIOUSLY out of context quote as the central theme of their candidate's campaign.

Freaking hilarious, please continue.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Indeed