1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama responsible for bringing $5 per gallon gasoline

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

First, jo, I'm not so sure why you care so damn much about the fact that my political views have changed in the last four years. I've been spending them at one of the most politically active universities in the country, I'd be disappointed if they haven't changed. But yes, I've changed. I no longer support Paul. People are capable of leaving his little cult, it happens. And if you want to cry that I've flip-flopped, go ahead. Paul and the Tea Party to me represent the dangers of fanatically adhereing to some set of principles no matter what the consequences. Fiat iustititas et pereat mundus, I guess.

I supported Paul because I fell for isolationist propaganda back then, didn't understand the dangers of the gold standard, and thought libertarianism was a good idea. I don't now. As far as I'm concerned, libertarianism is basically the new Marxism in that college students love to spout those theories without fundamentally understanding them.

First? Yeah, I'll support Obama easily if he actually goes against Paul.

You've demonstrated this in the past jo, but you don't seem to understand that politics is fundamentally about making choices and compromising. To be fair, Paul doesn't really get that either, given how successful he's been in Congress. Politics, no matter the system, no matter the rules, will always be about picking the best out of a series of imperfect choices. That's how life works, and politics, as a representation of human society, isn't any different.

Consequently, an argument of "I'm voting Romney just because he's better than the others" is, in fact, perfectly legitimate. He's not isolationist, like Paul is. He doesn't want to end the Fed, like Paul. He doesn't have suspicious ties to racists, like Paul. He's not a Christian nutcase, like Santorum. He's not some economic populist, like Santorum. As for Gingrich, I respect him, but I think that his long and contentious history in Washington will make it incredibly difficult for him to get things done, even though I'm probably a little closer to Gingrich policy-wise, such as on immigration.

I remember a couple months ago that there were a series of polls that showed that a "Generic Republican" stood a better chance against Obama than any of the actual named candidates. Romney, to me, is more or less that. He's a generic, not exactly inspiring, but competent guy who doesn't have the severe flaws that the other candidates do.

Either way, if you want to continue our endless bickering, we can do it in another thread. This really isn't the place for it.

1 person likes this.
  2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

im just trying to figure out where you are coming from. you are an enigma.

very true, but its bizarre to have someone go from representing paul as a delegate in 2008 to four years later being opposed to virtually everything he advocates. it would be one thing if you simply didnt support him anymore, but you really seem to hate paul and his supporters - to the point where it determines who you support for president. i could understand if you said "you know, i used to support paul and there are some things he says i like, but romney is my guy" - i could actually respect that...but there is literally nothing about paul you like. you have nothing but disdain for him and his followers. how do you change that much in such a short amount of time? and how do you know you wont totally change again by the next election?

would that be the same tea party who romney has been desperately courting for their vote?

mitt romney represents the establishment/status-quo and a return to the failed polices of george w. bush. he is the one who is "crazy" and "insane" - not paul.

aggression towards iran - military action/more sanctions
    continue the failed war on drugs
    pro-torture
    pro-gitmo - said he would "double" the size of gitmo
    pro-patriot act
    increase defense spending - we spend more than rest of world combined and he wants more...and he also wants to reduce the deficit? thats insane.
    supported the iraq war and wants to keep tens of thousands of troops there.
    reinstate DADT
    puts dog on roof of car.

anyone who advocates/supports these kinds of polices is crazy.

how have i demonstrated that? how do i not understand this? please enlighten me!

finally! congratulations! you are able to list an actual tangible policy position you support! so romney is not an isolationist, you say? romney is the one against opening up trade w/ cuba - ron paul wants to establish relations w/ them. who is the "isolationist" again? and remember, NOT wanting to preemptively attack another country does not make one an "isolationist".:rolleyes:

even worse, romney doesnt even want to audit the fed. i think its "insane" to be against our elected officials having a degree of oversight over this agency.

no, he just goes around condescending to black people and treating them like props for his campaign...
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EXGMi7a53jA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i know its not the place for it. it started in a different thread when someone asked you why you supported romney and you said "ron paul is crazy" and went off on a 3 paragraph rant about libertarians. i asked you directly what you supported about romney and you ignored me. i tried to bring it up multiple times in multiple other threads including one you started and you ignored me.

so sorry for derailing everyone, but i had no choice - kojirous neglect forced me.

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Where are all our concerned $5 gas[i/] residents at and why are they not demanding Obama prevent the Seaway reversal?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/21/pipeline-operatiions-seaway-idUSL2E8DL5M520120221

And where is their criticism of GOP leaders who want to block Obama from using the Strategic Petroleum Reserve...in the event of an emergency?

http://www.alternet.org/newsandview...il_reserve_hostage_to_force_keystone_approval

4. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

We would rather cripple 'Merica to get Nobama out of office than sit here and watch him cripple this fine country. And if you don't like it you can geeeeet out.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

We here in Germany are at ~8.15$ per Gallon, you guys should feel lucky that gas is so ridiculously cheap in your country.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

7. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

bigtexxx, I am truly touched by your recently-discovered concern for the poor in this country. It's a sign, from my perspective, that you've truly had time to reflect on your values and have found fault with your former ideological stances - hoping to see you continue this newfound respect for the plight of the economically disadvantaged in this country.

8. bigtexxx

noted that you tried to make your post about me, rather than the topic

you sound frustrated

9. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

THANKS WALL STREET AND TRADERS

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2017563277_oil22.html

yeah, good job people. i hope the traders out there enjoy waxing poetic about inflation taxes on the poor while they go about their business doing much much worse.

10. Major

Major Member

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Obama's problem is that both he and his energy secretary have advocated for higher gas prices as a way to make green energy viable.

So all Obama can say is "not my fault" (which never works), while the GOP can say "you wanted this".

1 person likes this.
  12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Speculators gonna speculate.

13. bigtexxx

Obama is all about excuses. excuses, excuses, excuses.

He blames everybody but himself. That's why he's a terrible leader.

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

15. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

noted that you tried to make this about your concern for poor people, rather than your tired old partisan hackery

you sound frustrated

1 person likes this.
  16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Much like the GOP candidates for president, it looks like the gas price angle has run out of gas as well.

Time to throw something else against the wall and see if it sticks...

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

It appears Obama can't control his gas. The public has noticed the smell, and I hope the GOP is smart enough to light a fire.;)

#117 thumbs, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Too bad for you, 'cause he's gonna get a second term.

Deal with it. Many of us survived, if barely, the so-called presidency of George the Lesser. The day his brother's little army in Florida disenfranchised 90,000 voters (more than half of them, as you would call them, "the blacks"; see also, "The Best Democracy Money Can Buy"), until 8 years later, how many times did you post, "This George Bush dude, he just sucks? What an idiot."

I remember the day he looked at the camera like a deer in the headlights and said that there was no link between Iraq and al-Qaeda (9/11) when he spent so much time letting people believe it.

And Obama has no accountability??!!

Obama could start a war in Iran, with you having already decided where to put your stocks to get (even) rich(er) in this event, and you'd still hate the guy.

19. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Seriously man, are you here to debate & discuss... or are you just going to ignore everything that is said and scream what you please?

I honestly feel that you could offer a lot more than you do if your main priority here wasn't to try to push people's buttons.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Debating biggie is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how skilled you are, inexorably, the pigeon will just knock the pieces down, crap all over the board, and strut around as if it won anyway.

[​IMG]