1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama gaffes and claims Egypt is not an ally. Then backtracks on it

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Sep 13, 2012.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

He's been in over his head in foreign policy since day 1. Somebody fix his teleprompter please.

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/p...s_obama_s_statement_that_egypt_is_not_an_ally

White House clarifies Obama’s statement that Egypt is not an ‘ally’
    Posted By Josh Rogin Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 12:30 PM Share

President Barack Obama didn't intend to signal any change in the U.S.-Egypt relationship last night when he said Egypt is not an "ally," the White House told The Cable today.

In an interview with Telemundo Wednesday night, Obama said that the U.S. relationship with the new Egyptian government was a "work in progress," and emphasized that the United States is counting on the government of Egypt to better protect the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, which was attacked by protesters on Sept. 11.

"I don't think that we would consider them an ally, but we don't consider them an enemy," Obama said. "They're a new government that is trying to find its way. They were democratically elected. I think that we are going to have to see how they respond to this incident."

That comment had Egypt watchers scratching their heads, especially since technically, Egypt was designated as a Major Non-NATO Ally in 1989 when Congress first passed the law creating that status, which gives them special privileges in cooperating with the United States, especially in the security and technology areanas.

White House spokesman Tommy Vietor told The Cable Thursday that the administration is not signaling a change in that status.

"I think folks are reading way too much into this," Vietor said. "‘Ally' is a legal term of art. We don't have a mutual defense treaty with Egypt like we do with our NATO allies. But as the president has said, Egypt is longstanding and close partner of the United States, and we have built on that foundation by supporting Egypt's transition to democracy and working with the new government."

Vietor referred to Obama's Wednesday phone call with Mohamed Morsy, during which Obama pressed the Egyptian president to ensure the safety and protection of U.S. personnel and facilities in Egypt. Morsy agreed to do so, according to a White House statement on the phone call.

"The President said that he rejects efforts to denigrate Islam, but underscored that there is never any justification for violence against innocents and acts that endanger American personnel and facilities," the statement said. "President Morsi expressed his condolences for the tragic loss of American life in Libya and emphasized that Egypt would honor its obligation to ensure the safety of American personnel."

Administration sources told The Cable that Obama's "ally" comment was not pre-arranged or prepared by staff and that the question was not anticipated. Nevertheless, Middle East experts said Obama's word choice and tone is likely a reflection of the administration's feeling that Morsy's reaction to the attacks has not been forceful enough.

"I think it's a message from Obama that taking a less than assertive position on this is going to cost the [Egyptian] leadership at least rhetorically in the short term," said Andrew Tabler, senior fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Studies. "We heard that the Muslim Brotherhood was going to be a cooperative partner and their actions and statements yesterday were not a good example of that."

Pre-planned or not, the comments carry weight, Tabler said. He also noted that Obama was surely crafting his message not only for the Egyptians, but also for his American audience as well. The White House has come under fire for a press release from the Cairo embassy issued before the protest started that Republican challenger Mitt Romney slammed as an "apology for our values."

As The Cable reported Wednesday, State Department officials in Washington objected to that statement before it was issued -- and the White House later disavowed it -- but it has nevertheless become an issue in the presidential campaign.

"It's important to remember, Obama's comment happened in both a security and political context," Tabler said.

2. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

If your party understood how foreign policy works you would be able to comprehend the quotes in the article.

But as the best your party has to offer as an alternative is Romney I am not surprised by your lack of competence.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Pretty sure it is meant to be what exactly it sounds like: a warning to the Morsi government to protect the embassy and condemn violence. It is not a gaffe and theater clarification is not a backtrack. Basically, the message is that "we are still partners, but I am not so happy with you now."

Of course, you people lack the mental capacity to understand such things.

4. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Am I missing something? Where is the backtracking?

5. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Tollolololollllllll lol lol lol lol

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

2/10

Please try harder.

7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obama is foreign policy EXPERT! He could see Indonesia from his house growing up.

And he gave a speech, in cairo.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Speaking of teleprompters, I have noticed that Romney is using one....

1 person likes this.
  9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah, I see no backtrack. These are just word games, and there's no reason for Obama to retract what he said.

Romney's gaffes are legitimately worrisome, and not becoming of a nominee for President.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Eh, it seems like a mistake to me. It sounds from the article that he was speaking off the cuff and he achieved the general tone and message he was trying for, but the word choice of 'ally' was probably not the best one for that sentence. You shouldn't say official allies are not allies. And, I don't much like the clarification either, that Egypt isn't ally enough because they aren't NATO-like. We're actually just close partners, even though we officially call them allies. I think it's the wrong thing to imply to Egypt that the dictator Mubarak was an ally, but the democratically elected government is just a partner. You can see too clearly where our priorities lie, and they're not on self-determination. Even so, the point is clear and makes sense -- our relationship with the new Egyptian government could change officially if they become anti-American or anti-Israel.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You guys are hilarious and incredibly hypocritical

So quick to give Obama the benefit of the doubt.

1. Making fun of special olympians

2. Removing God and Jerusalem as part of the party platform

3. "you didn't built that"

4. "What I was suggesting — you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith..." — Obama on ABC's This Week.

5. Calling Egypt not an ally

All just silly misspeaks!

12. Major

Major Member

Meanwhile, John McCain agrees with him.

Sen. John McCain, a strong critic of President Obama's foreign policy in the Middle East, agreed with Obama's characterization of the evolving relationship between the U.S. and Egypt in an appearance on CNN Thursday morning.

McCain signed on to Obama's assessment that Egypt is now neither an ally nor an enemy. "First of all, I think the president is basically right," McCain said. "I hate to get into these word parsings but they have gone from a staunch ally under [former President Hosni] Mubarak to one which is obviously…seeking its own way. But we have to have a good relationship with with them or we should make every effort to have a good relationship with them."

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/mccain-obama-got-it-right-on-relationship-with

13. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

Yet the best you can offer is Romney who is being soundly demolished in a public election.

14. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Yes, if you are followed around every day and your every word is quoted, you're bound to have some. Every President does.

At least the President limits his mistakes to a few every year. You say dumb things every day- what's your excuse?

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The OP is good for a laugh. I suspect sillier and more and more desperate threads from conservatives and Romney fans as it gets closer to election time.

Let's face it. It is the last time for the good old boy party to have a shot till they expand their base. How horrible it must be to have Romney be their horse. Every year more of the old guard die off and many of their kids have become better educated and sophisticated deserting to the Dems..

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Watched some FAUX on the treadmill; whatever obscure talking point they have on is what Texx will come on and post about. I think he just watches TV all day. He's been sucked in to the alternate reality they create.

(I still think they are just trolling cons for ad revenue)

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I gotta agree this seemed like a gaffe or poor choice of words. "Ally" probably wasn't the best term, maybe something like "close ally" or "BFF" ;) might've been better. "Ally" is too loaded with official meaning to just use it loosely.

Anyway I find it interesting that the OP criticizes Obama for being too nice on the Egyptians and seemingly apologizing to them yesterday and now is criticizing Obama for saying they aren't an ally.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Obama shoots first and aims later I guess

19. YaosDirtyStache

Basso is a joke. That is all.

20. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member