1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama exposed for his obvious hypocrisy over super PACs and their ads

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Romney couldn't get elected Dog Catcher (pun intended...poor Seamus). in Mass. right now.

Track record of screwing workers is something to be proud of.

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he's not an actor.

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Whining about super PACs!

Thanks Citizens United!

4. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

There is no one running in a national election who is innocent of taking money from super PACs.

5. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

Hence the hypocrisy born of desperation and fear.

Why do they want our country and our president to fail?

6. Nook

Nook Member

When you open up the flood gates to limitless money from groups that do not have the public good at heart, but only limited specialized interests, this is what you have...

This is only the beginning, it will get much, much, much worse in this election and future elections based on the short sighted, politically driven ruling by the Supreme Court decision....

I can hear it now: "I didn't say Romney was a Mormon baby eater, I cannot control what folks say, it is their money."

"I didn't say Obama was a banana eating foreigner, that is what they said, not I."

This is not good, it gives the .000001% even more power, and insures that they will have an even greater say in how the country is run.

That giant slurping sound is the billionaires taking even more from the lower and middle class.... Only way it stops is when there is literally nothing more to take, and then hopefully the people will take up arms and take the country back.

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

That's Bob Newhart.

8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

No honest review of Mitt Romney's business record would come up to that conclusion. His personal efforts have created thousands upon thousands of jobs in the private sector. His reputation is outstanding in the business community.

Obviously your "analysis" of Romney's record was based upon a sleazy Obama attack ad that deceives and distorts.

9. mc mark

FIFY.

Government is not a business. It cannot be ran as such.

10. Nook

Nook Member

He hasn't created #$%. Just like Obama and Bush and Clinton and Bush Sr. and Reagan... he sucks off of others.

11. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

No, your statements above are an indictment of how truly dumb you are- and how truly laughable it is if you believe anyone but a numbskull wouldn't see through your distortions and outright lies. You need to post this drivel on CNN or Fox where you have enough idiots to buy your swill. The intelligence on this board is way above the intelligence you'll encounter on most other boards- which explains why it's mostly moderate and liberal.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Obama is right; Super PACs are a scourge upon our electoral process. Unfortunately, at the moment they are legal and effective, and Romney is using them against Obama. So, it'd be dumb for Obama to not use them. In the mean time, I like that we're focusing a lot of attention on them. Maybe we can get some sensible reform that will actually stick.

Accusations of hypocrisy are dumb when you're talking about politicians. Of course they're hypocrites. To survive and prosper in politics (here and now and at any time in any place in the history of civilization), you pretty much have to be a slimy SOB. I'm a fan of Obama, but I think this is true even of him: if you actually want to be president, there is something wrong with you.

13. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

I would prefer if had created those jobs here in America. However I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Are his personal tax returns available for review? I also would like to see a copy of his birth certificate and school transcripts.

14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The outsourcing meme has been completely and thoroughly discredited by all independent analysis. Again, it's just yet another example of mindlessly believing a pro-Obama advertisement instead of actually examining Bain's performance. Bain Capital is one of the best of the best in the private equity world, and Romney built it from the ground up. Thousands upon thousands of American jobs were created by Bain investments, IN AMERICA. But those are just the facts... probably of little importance to you since you have already made your mind up by listening to a biased, dishonest tv ad.

Why is "Obama" hiding his entire life's work and spending millions of dollars in legal fees to conceal his law firm work, his college records, his passport, etc, etc. "Obama" has gotten a free pass on all of his sleazy associations with felons, shady dealings (like Rezko), foreign relationships (Kenya, Indonesia, Pakistan), Fast & Furious (where Brian Terry is dead and Obama uses Executive Privilege to conceal information), and gutter politics in Chicago. It is truly the height of hypocrisy for him to campaign on the transparency argument.

It must pain liberals to have to support a campaign as sleazy and dishonest as Obama's.

15. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

No, not really. I think a quick look at the slime on the other side makes it highly digestible.

Repeating half-truths and lies, born of desperation, still will not make them true. Hopefully you will come up with some new attack points before election time as the party line is is sagging pretty low these days.

Perhaps you can attack his diet next? Or his taxes? Oh, right...

16. mc mark

Mitt Romney Started Bain Capital With Money From Families Tied To Death Squads

In 1983, Bill Bain asked Mitt Romney to launch Bain Capital, a private equity offshoot of the successful consulting firm Bain & Company. After some initial reluctance, Romney agreed. The new job came with a stipulation: Romney couldn't raise money from any current clients, Bain said, because if the private equity venture failed, he didn't want it taking the consulting firm down with it.

When Romney struggled to raise funds from other traditional sources, he and his partners started thinking outside the box. Bain executive Harry Strachan suggested that Romney meet with a group of Central American oligarchs who were looking for new investment vehicles as turmoil engulfed their region.

Romney was worried that the oligarchs might be tied to "illegal drug money, right-wing death squads, or left-wing terrorism," Strachan later told a Boston Globe reporter, as quoted in the 2012 book "The Real Romney." But, pressed for capital, Romney pushed his concerns aside and flew to Miami in mid-1984 to meet with the Salvadorans at a local bank.

It was a lucrative trip. The Central Americans provided roughly $9 million -- 40 percent -- of Bain Capital's initial outside funding, the Los Angeles Times reported recently. And they became valued clients.

"Over the years, these Latin American friends have loyally rolled over investments in succeeding funds, actively participated in Bain Capital's May investor meetings, and are still today one of the largest investor groups in Bain Capital," Strachan wrote in his memoir in 2008. Strachan declined to be interviewed for this story.

When Romney launched another venture that needed funding -- his first presidential campaign -- he returned to Miami.

"I owe a great deal to Americans of Latin American descent," he said at a dinner in Miami in 2007. "When I was starting my business, I came to Miami to find partners that would believe in me and that would finance my enterprise. My partners were Ricardo Poma, Miguel Dueñas, Pancho Soler, Frank Kardonski, and Diego Ribadeneira."

Romney could also have thanked investors from two other wealthy and powerful Central American clans -- the de Sola and Salaverria families, who the Los Angeles Times and Boston Globe have reported were founding investors in Bain Capital.

While they were on the lookout for investments in the United States, members of some of these prominent families -- including the Salaverria, Poma, de Sola and Dueñas clans -- were also at the time financing, either directly or through political parties, death squads in El Salvador. The ruling classes were deploying the death squads to beat back left-wing guerrillas and reformers during El Salvador's civil war.

The death squads committed atrocities on such a mass scale for so small a country that their killing spree sparked international condemnation. From 1979 to 1992, some 75,000 people were killed in the Salvadoran civil war, according to the United Nations. In 1982, two years before Romney began raising money from the oligarchs, El Salvador's independent Human Rights Commission reported that, of the 35,000 civilians killed, "most" died at the hands of death squads. A United Nations truth commission concluded in 1993 that 85 percent of the acts of violence were perpetrated by the right, while the left-wing Farabundo Martí National Liberation Front, which was supported by the Cuban government, was responsible for 5 percent.

17. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Got a link to one of them? We'd love to see it. Thanks in advance.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Mitt Romney's experience absolutely blows Obama's out of the water. It's hilarious that it's even a discussion point that Obama is trying to use. Obama was a community organizer and lecturer at a law school. Romney was one of America's most successful businessmen.

19. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love the smell of panic and desperation in the morning. It smells like...victory.

20. mc mark

The last thing we need is a corporate raider and vulture (oops venture) capitalist in the People's House.