1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama Doesn't Have It And It May Be Too Late to Get It

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Aug 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

"it's the economy, stupid"

-Bubba-

But Bubba had a stock market bubble that produce trillions from nothing and taxable capital gains that produced a budget surplus.

A lot of a President's perceived success is from conditions that are out of their control and it is primarily about the economic conditions he serves under. The rollback of civil rights in the Bush era were the result of 9/11, I doubt we would ever even considered it if the event hadn't happed. But the perception of his administration as an economic success was due to the bubble of the housing market creating trillions out of thin air.

Mr. Obama has just had the misfortune of being elected at the crash of a bubble. The Herculean effort to stave off a depression is not appreciated because the nation is not feeling prosperous, and the required public debt is counter-intuitive and easily assailable by the opposition.

We are basically saying he needs to dumb down his explanations into a 20 word sound-bite so Teabag level Americans can understand it.

"The rich have exploited the people long enough, we are going to tax them and get you your money back" ....maybe.

#41 Dubious, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

In modern America, how have the "rich" exploited anyone? By not serving up more of their "richness?"

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

by fooling people into defending when they get called out for exploiting people

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Seriously?

[​IMG]

5. Dubious

Creating a culture of crass materialism in order to sell useless crap.

Expanding the profit exponentially by creating an irresponsible 'easy' credit system to prey on the created deisre.

Trotting out "experts" in what is really just boiler room baiting creating a ponzi scheme of irrational exuberance in stock markets.

Then when that failed, changing banking laws to allow for the exploitation of the housing market.

Buying off the rating agencies to make junk grade CMO's look like real investments.

Declaring imminent bankruptcy and economic crisis to get cheap or free tax payer money while paying billions in bonuses.

When have you ever seen a commercial about fiscal responsibility or not buying something useless?

When have you ever seen a political ad about the redistribution of wealth to a wider population? You don't, because there is no moneyed interest served to do it. The money is spent by the people who have it so that they can get more if it. Only the occasional 'crusader' like Ralph Nader or Sinclair Lewis ever makes a tiny crack in the system and only then when the egregiousness of the exploitation becomes undefendable by the bullsht artist.

1 person likes this.
  6. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Wow, that was a great post. Repped.

7. Major

Major Member

Have you ever heard of lobbying? Do you think it's the poor that lobby for tax policy? Do you think it was the poor that was making deals to influence the health care legislation? :confused:

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, it was, and I'm not the least bit dubious about that.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

but glynch is old, his problem is that he wants obama to run roughshod like bush did, the only problem is that democrats didn't stand up to bush. obama has opposition, I don't know what he expects obama to do about that

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bill Clinton had a really bad first two years not because of the economy, but because he tried to reform Health Care, allow gays in the military, and followed idealism.

After the mid-terms he got smart.

11. Dubious

The point is, given the circumstances, Obama has actually kicked ass.

(and I'm just a cranky old hippie too)

12. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

As someone who is right of center politically I can only hope Obama succeeds. I never understood hoping the guy you didn't vote for fails. It's just shooting yourself and country in the foot. Let the guy do his job.

"Well I didn't vote for him so I hope he accomplishes nothing (and wastes 4 years of my life)."

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not exactly what I had in mind but I do think it would be better if asked about Glenn Beck he was more genuine in his response. Instead of insulting the people, he should hit Beck/Palin as 'selling snake oil instead of real solutions'

He could say, 'It's easy to use people's fears to stir them up, but it's not serving the country - all they are doing is to create further division at a time when we all need to pull together'

14. Dubious

The President speaking of them at all gives them more legitimacy than they deserve. If anything he should address the misappropriation of the fourth estate, telling them they should follow the money and question the motive.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OK, so you should understand my point exactly.

16. parmesh

parmesh Member

Or propagating them.

17. parmesh

parmesh Member

Herculean effort? You must mean doing the same thing as his predecessor, only worse and with more social programs. Borrowing and inflating money to get out of something caused by borrowing and inflating? Staving off the recession/depression/whatever-they-want-to-call-it-at-the-time by doing what got us into it, and furthering it? I'm sorry, but when it comes down to it, this effort isn't Herculean at all. He's just trying to control the symptoms without looking at the disease, like Bush, and most presidents since Nixon really.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

People are idiots. Why anyone would believe tax information from a chain email as fact is beyond me. These things get proven false 99% of the time. I've had a number of my clients assume this is true and I've had to re-assure them that it is a lie.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Not only has it been a unanimous "No" on most issues from the Republicans, but there is also a division amongst the Democrats.

20. Dubious

OK, how would you have handled it.