1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

O. Pace to the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by YaoMcGrady, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I was hoping it was BS

2. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Face it. The Texans got played. And fat boy didn't even use the K-Y.

3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

according to ESPN OP just agreed to a 7 year contract with the Rams......To bad, he would have been a great fit for the Texans

4. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I kinda had a feeling Pace was using the Texans.

Oh well

5. yc324

yc324 Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2014577

Rams, Texans never got deal done
    By John Clayton, ESPN.com

The St. Louis Rams reached a seven-year, $52.8 million deal with franchise left tackle Orlando Pace Wednesday that ended three years of efforts to get him to agree to the long-term contract.

Included in the deal is a $15 million signing bonus. By agreeing to the contract Wednesday, the Rams will be able to use the franchise tag on future players instead of losing it for the next seven years, the length of Pace's contract.

The Rams and Pace's agent, Kennard McGuire, exchanged proposals and counter proposals Tuesday afternoon and evening and narrowed the gap enough that Pace went on a radio station and said he was optimistic a deal could be struck with the Rams.

That did not sit too well with the Houston Texans, who were willing to give Pace the second-best left tackle contract in the NFL if they could work out a trade with the Rams. Pace visited the Texans on Monday with hopes of convincing them to trade for him.

Unfortunately for the Texans, the Rams were reluctant to consider taking less than two first-rounders for Pace, the team's franchise player for the past three years. Trade discussion never did heat up enough for the Texans to get a deal with the Rams.

The seven-year, $52.8 million contract is slightly more than Seattle Seahawks left tackle Walter Jones earns. The payout is $22 million in the first two years and $26 million in the first three years. Only Baltimore Ravens left tackle Jonathan Ogden makes more than Pace and Jones at that position.

6. Fatty FatBastard

Screw Florida Salsa.

7. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

I somewhat disapointed, but not at all down or sad about it. I'm just glad we didn't give up the two #1's. Remember when the Cowboys gave up two #1's for Joey Galloway? Great move! Even though Pace is 100 times the player Galloway is.

And anyone comparing this to the Beltran situation doen't have a clue.

Pace may have used the Texans to get a deal, but it's not like he held us up for the whole offseason; I mean we never even had Pace to begin with. I'm still pissed about the Beltran/Boras thing, but I have no ill will whatsoever towards Pace.

8. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

I wouldn't be as disappointed if it weren't ORLANDO PACE. I mean, it's not like we're stockpiled with young, talented LT's.

How is it possible that we had the possibility of having two of the best OF ALL TIME on our team, yet it never quite transpired.

9. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

True, our neverending quest to protect Carr continues. Wand, Pitts, and McKinney better get it done this year.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Pace isn't fat, that's one of the reasons he's so good. He could have really taken the Texans to the next level.

Speaking of fat linemen, has anyone ever seen Lincoln Kennedy on NFL network. Its disturbing.

11. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Face it, he just used us as leverage, as BOB ALLEN in Ch. 13 said, to get more ca$h from the ram$.

Orlando... Orlando... now why does that ring a bell in this BBS...? :eek:

13. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

You would think Charlie would be smarter than that by now. Maybe he just could not afford to take a chance things might break his way. Would have been nice but we will pick-up something good in the draft. Users end up losers eventually. OP will get cut when he loses a step and the roster bonus is coming due. I doubt he'll see all seven years of that salary. Come to think of it, "Too bad the NBA doesn't work that way".

14. fya

fya Member

I smell borASS.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Who cares if Pace used the Texans to get more money? In the end it doesn't hurt the Texans any - maybe they picked up his airfare or a dinner or two, but so what? - Chas has nothing to be ashamed of.

16. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but it is better than starting a new one I guess:)

Andre Ware just said (as a inside scoop type of thing answering a callers feedback ->where Andre stressed a few times to the other 610 announcers that Casserly is in NYC now so he can release this info) that he has rock solid sources from someone very familiar with the Orlando Pace contract negotiations back in the day that C Casserly pulled the plug on something that was considered to be a done deal to land Pace in Houston.

No explanation from Andre, just counters the thinking that Pace was just using the Texans. He just said this a few minutes ago on Sports Radio 610 football talk thing-a-ma-bob.

17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i nominate Casserly for NFL GM of the millenium.

18. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

You know in Colombia he would have already been killed. In Italy as well.

Show some devotion Texans fans. Do what needs to be done.

19. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

What can we do? Even if it was remotely doable to STILL get Pace now that competent, sane leadership has finally come to the Texans, how do we know that Pace does not turn out to be Boselli, Part II? I mean hasnt OP been injured either most of last year or this year?

What would be the cost of this transaction? If he's healthy I'm all for it, he would be BEAST for us on the OL. :D

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

in the future, start a new thread.

I'm usually not the one who does this stuff... but I ignored the date and clicked on the link.. and I was pumped for a whole 5 minutes.