1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

O. Pace to the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by YaoMcGrady, Mar 14, 2005.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Orlando Pace fits exactly what Houston needs. Plus, the Rams have made it a priority to upgrade their LB corp this offseason(see Coakley/Claiborne). I'd say a 1st and Sharper is where I would start.

Pace makes the entire offense better. The biggest flaw with the Texans offense is Carr all too often had to go to his checkdown options because he had no protection or Davis couldn't get a hole to run through. That changes with a motivated Pace.

Also, just thinking here, but if the Rams don't want sharper(but will trade Pace) I'm wondering if Indy might in a Edge deal. I figure it's doubtful that the Texans could afford both players with longterm deals, but it's a nice dream nonetheless. But I'd much rather have Pace over a RB if I have to pick one.

2. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I think Pace is the core of what this offense needs.

I know Carr has made his share of mistakes, but I put most of the sack count against the offensive line. Carr is actually pretty decent at avoiding some of the potential sacks. The numbers could have been worse, but he can make something out of nothing.

Now adding Pace in, gives him that extra time to put the ball down the field or open up holes for the running game. This team will be dramatically improved with Pace.

Obviously, we can say goodbye to the possibility of getting Johnson, Jones, Williams. I'm fine with that.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I guess I'm missing something but since St. Louis is dying to assume Sharper's 6m salary for this year rather than let him test the open market and, you know, make real big money why don't we just try to package him to San Francisco for this years #1 pick and a 2006 2nd rounder?

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

You underestimate Sharper's value. The man can flat out sell jerseys, posters, and peanuts.

Pace for the #13 pick is a no-brainer for the Texans. The #13 plus a 2nd rounder next year should be the most they give up though.

Is lil francis the same guy who wanted to give up the pick that got Andre for Priest? I'm sure someone with search could find that pretty quick.

5. coma

coma Contributing Member

Depends how much they have left in their stack, their position relative to the dealer, how much I've got, how they've played all night, and if this is pre-flop or not. :)

6. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I hope you guys get Pace! He is fantastic!

Also LT's play a long time. Anthony Munoz played till his late 30's. So if he's just turning 30 hr legitimately could hav e 6-7 great years left.

Obviously the question becomes is getting Pace worth giving up 3 peices (1st round pick, 2nd round pick next year, current player). noone knows the answer but Orlando is that good.

7. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Official O. Pace for 2 first rounders

My co-worker just told me he heard it reported on espn790am.
    Can anyone confirm?

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

interesting. dalati broke it i guess. figured if it broke it would be on the texans radio affiliate...or with berman in the evening.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The story has been that the Rams want 2 first rounders, but I don't know if anybody actually agreed to give it to them.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

We need this guy in a big way, but 2 first rounders, not sure we'll do it...one and a couple of scrubs, no problem...

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Your title is misleading, considering in your own post you asked if anyone can confirm it.

12. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

They (790am) just said the trade is on hold. The Rams backed away hoping to sign him to long term contract. Nothing new

13. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

This is like the whole T-Mac trade bonanza

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

except not nearly as long and drawn out....and without the player to be traded from the houston team complaining about it publicly...and without magical weisbrod.

this thing should happen very soon if it happens at all.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Pace, agent trying to facilitate trade to Texans
    The Rams would have to receive two first-round picks if Pace signs an offer sheet, but if Pace intends to leave the Rams for the Texans, it would be more likely the sides would have to work out a trade for a first-round choice and something in addition. At the scouting combine in Indianapolis, the New York Giants and a couple other teams heard initial inquiries from the Rams about the possibility of trading Pace.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This is pretty much a lose-lose situation for St. Louis. They're so messed up cap-wise, that if they do sign Pace to a long-term deal, it will severely hamper their future development (but not their current team... which is still a playoff team).

17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I never said trade Andre Johnson for Priest Holmes. Where did you get that from?? You alright?

18. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

RUMOUR: 610 just said that "a St. Louis station has reported that Pace has signed with the Rams."

Apparently, someone called the station (610) from St. Louis.

Again, just hearsay.

19. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Game Over. This comes from a St. Louis radio station via the Rams fansite
    http://forums.stltoday.com/viewtopic.php?t=241706

Mike Claiborne (KFNS) had a lengthy discussion with Orlando Pace -- last night and then again today.

Claiborne believes the Rams and Pace are very close to reaching a deal.

That was the indication he got from Orlando.

And Pace confirmed on KFNS just now, saying, "we're very close."

The Rams sweetened their offer today (Tuesday).

Terms are not final, but Claiborne has been told that it's a 7-yr deal worth $52.8 -- again, that's not official. OP gets $15 million to sign....$3 mill salary first year....$4 million in second year....about $4 mill in third year....gets a total of $26 million in first three years (including the bonus).

Pace just finished up an interview on KFNS.

Pace just said "we're close. I'm about to get on a plane right now (to Orlando) and hopefully by the time I land, we'll have a deal."

He said turning point was the Houston trip...it brought about a new offer from the Rams...

(The leverage that Pace attained by going to Houston -- which some of you denied was the case -- was pivotal in a quick conclusion of this deal).

Also important was the structure of the deal....Rams adjusted it....more money in front part of deal.... Pace said that means more to him then the end number in the contract ...

"It was important to me to get money up front," Pace told KFNS. "The way the deal was structured was important to me." Pace joked that he's lost his way to Macomb...said it's important for him to be in camp, "get back on track, and do the things I do well...I miss the camp to some extent, just being around the fellows."

As for criticism he's received in STL, Pace said, "It was tough, but as far as the fans go, they want a winner. I can understand that, but a lot of people don't understand the business part. You have to take care of the business befdore you get on the field."

20. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

Now, let's get back the the #13 pick . . .