1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

O. Pace to the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by YaoMcGrady, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But, according to the ESPN article... Pace IS in town.

I'd much rather the player we're trying to trade for make a last-second trip all the way to that city, rather than just the GM be here (see Carlos Beltran deal).

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

[​IMG]

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

ESPN News reported that Pace and His agent are in Houston and are going to meat (if they haven't yet) with Texan officials.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That would be huge...literally and figuratively. Not only would it be a huge upgrade for the line, it could get the walking penalty known as Chester Pitts out of the lineup. Anyone else notice that when a big play was called back for a penalty last season, it was always Pitts? Pace in at LT and move Wand into LG.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Pitts would remain at LG.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

7. rezdawg

610 is throwing out the #13, Sharper and a 2nd rounder next year.

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

What is the lifespan of a LT? 29 is still considered young?

I am clueless....

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

That's a high price to pay for one player, especially an OL who's gonna be 30 this season and wasn't at his best in 04. Still, I like to see Casserly being proactive about getting a pro-bowl caliber left tackle. Most important position on the field after QB, imo.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hmm... maybe they'd agree to the 3rd rounder we got in the Henson trade.

Right now, I hope that is their initial demand, and not our initial offer.... but then again, its not like there's one of these stud LOT available every year.

In fact, they're never "available"... these guys are only obtained via drafts with a top-5 pick.

I take it back... lets go for it.

11. rezdawg

Pace will be 30 during next season. Still, considered young for an OT. He should have about 4 or 5 good years left in him.

Also, I read somewhere that the Rams gave up something like 50 sacks last year, but that only 2 of them were due to Pace.

In his career, Pace has yet to miss 1 game due to injury.

This is a deal that should get done. Giving up a first rounder and some other stuff is definitely worth it.

610 wants to throw in a 2nd rounder as well, but I think we can get it done with a 3rd rounder.

#31 rezdawg, Mar 14, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It should be noted that the Rams give up a ton of total sacks because they pass so damn much.

Their actual sack amount, per attempt, was still less than the Texans number last year.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

An old college buddy of mine works for the Texans. I haven't spoken to him in a few years, but we did exchange some e-mails last year. As luck would have it, he just happened to e-mail me today, so of course I asked him what the deal was. His response:

He was in my office earlier today...GOOD LORD, that man is a BOHEMITH
    !!!
    I swear to god he is the missing evolutionary link.

I was just talking to coach about him...the deal is, we have talked to
    him and his agent and we can definitely work out a contract with him
    that he will sign.
    Only hanging point is St. Louis, and what they are willing to take for
    him.
    But, we will know one way or another tomorrow...

From what I hear it is a "60% chance" of Pace becoming a Texan
    (keep your fingers crossed)

I'd love Pace, btw, and would be very willing to give up what the rumors have us giving up.

14. rezdawg

nice scoop RM95. I agree, the asking price thats being thrown around is worth it.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If they got Pace to agree to a contract of both parties' likings, then the Texans HAVE to get this deal done.

The hardest part, in fact, was the Pace contract situation... St. Louis should be more than ready to work out a trade, given that the deadline for them signing him long-term is coming up on Wednesday (otherwise, his franchise tag starts counting big-time against their cap), and if they don't they'll be losing him for nothing after next year.

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Thanks for that info RM95. Man I would love to have Pace on the Texans line next year but boy I would be nervous to give up the 13th pick. If Rolle, or Williamson, or Thomas Davis turn out to be superstars and Pace flops when he comes here that would hurt. Hopefully im wrong.

17. drapg

drapg Member

The guy is only 29 with no injury history.

You gotta give up 1st round in 2005, Wand and Sharper.

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

18. rezdawg

The odds of us getting a pro bowler with the 13th pick arent that high. We know what we are getting with Pace. Its tough to give up first rounders because its fun to draft a rookie and see how he develops, but in this case, it should be a no brainer.

Rolle could turn out to be a superstar, but Pace is already there.

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you're playing poker, and someone goes all in in front of you. You have pocket kings- do you fold on the off chance he has pocket aces?

Pace is a known commodity- a bona fide Pro Bowl left tackle.

You're asking for two rather semi-long shots to happen- our pick to turn into a superstar for someone else AND for a known pro bowler on the good side of 30 with minimal injury history.

This isn't the Weigerts, Wades, and McKinney's of the past offseasons. This is freaking Orlando Pace!

I'm more than willing to say goodbye to Sharper et. al if Orlando Pace is who is saying hello.

20. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I don't know how to play poker so I can't answer that first question. I was just saying that you really don't need a dominant LT to be a super bowl contender. The Pats and Bucs won the last 3 super bowls with just an overall solid O-Line. With the 13th pick we can get a playmaker like Rolle or Williamson who can help this team for 8 to 10yrs. Giving up the 13th pick in this years draft seems to be a little too much IMO. All we need is one more playemaker at wideout and another CB and I think the Texans will be well on their way. Giving up the farm for an O-Lineman is not needed.