1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYTimes] Francis Maturing

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Visagial, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

Interesting story. Stevie now realizes JVG was trying to make him and the team better.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/01/sports/basketball/01francis.html

As Francis Starts Over, Knicks Seem a Good Fit
    By HOWARD BECK
    The staid look was familiar to anyone who had followed the circuitous career of Steve Francis. Nearly seven years ago, Francis walked across a stage at the MCI Center in Washington and entered his N.B.A. career with a blank expression.

No smile, no fist pump, no twinkle in the eye. Francis had been drafted by the Vancouver Grizzlies, and he did not hide his disappointment.

Seven nights ago, Francis sat at a table at Madison Square Garden, making his first appearance as a Knick after a trade with Orlando. Everything — the team, the time, the circumstances — was different. Only the expression seemed the same. No smile, no twinkle.

It was a strange first impression, and given the sorry state of the Knicks, it caused some understandable consternation: Did Francis want to be here? Or would this be merely another brief and unhappy stop on his rambling N.B.A. path?

"I was fatigued," Francis explained, waving off any doubts. The news conference was, in fact, the endpoint of what Francis called "not the worst two weeks of my life, but it was the most draining time."

His relationship with the Magic had soured. Trade speculation had Francis landing in Denver, Minneapolis, Los Angeles or New York. He had a fiancée and a 6-month-old daughter to consider. Then came a whirlwind day in which Francis attended a morning meeting with the Magic in East Rutherford, N.J., spent three hours on the phone getting updates from his agent, Jeff Fried, and, finally, made the trek through the Lincoln Tunnel and headed straight to his news conference.

"There was a lot that happened within the 12-13 hours before I was traded," he said.

The intrigue, the mixed feelings, the multiple destinations and the exhaustion made for a nice microcosm of Francis's career.

He is starting over, again. The Knicks are Francis's fourth N.B.A. team, including one he never played for, the Grizzlies. From high school through college, he played for six different schools.

That makes 10 new beginnings in 13 years, enough to make anyone road weary. So here is the truth, Francis said: He is not only happy to be with the Knicks, despite their ghastly record, but he also wants to be with them for the long haul.

Fried called the Knicks "our first preference by far" when the trade became inevitable. Indeed, Francis said he felt it was partly the rough edges that made the Knicks attractive to him. Francis is owed $62.5 million over next four years, not counting this year.

"I know it probably sounds crazy," he said. "I'm a guy, I have scars as far as the things I've been through in my career. Just like Coach Brown, just like Isiah Thomas, just like Stephon Marbury, just like a lot of players on our team."

It was a surprising explanation. But then, nothing in Francis's life has been easy or predictable. He grew up in Takoma Park, Md., with little money and no father. Francis was reared by his mother, Brenda Wilson, who died of cancer in 1995, and by his grandmother, Mabel Wilson.

His mother's death left him so disconsolate, he gave up basketball for two years. It was the first of many detours in his jagged career path.

Francis led two junior colleges — San Jacinto (Tex.) in 1997 and Allegany (Md.) in 1998 — to undefeated seasons and berths in the national junior college tournament.

By the time he signed with Maryland in 1998, he was entering his sixth program in six years. He led the Terrapins to 28 victories and a Round of 16 berth in 1999.

"He was very unselfish," Maryland Coach Gary Williams said. "I think he averaged 13 shots a game, and he could have taken 20 a game with his individual skills."

N.B.A. scouts were not sure how to classify Francis — as a shoot-first point guard or as an undersized shooting guard — but his gifts were clear. He had a 43-inch vertical leap, the instincts of a running back and the fearlessness of a street fighter.

Francis's first move as a pro was a crossover dribble. Taken No. 2 over all in the draft, by the Vancouver Grizzlies, Francis demanded to be traded.

Two months later, Francis joined the Houston Rockets in an 11-player deal. He was criticized on both sides of the border as a pouting prima donna, an image he has fought ever since.

"He rubbed me the wrong way when he came into the league and demanded that Vancouver trade him," Scottie Pippen, the former Bulls star, told NBA.com after the trade last week.

Francis said, "There are situations that happened, things you have to mature from."

In five seasons with Houston, his teams won 34, 45, 28, 43 and 45 games. He teamed with Cuttino Mobley in a frenetic, high-scoring backcourt that ranked among the best statistically in the league. For four seasons under Coach Rudy Tomjanovich, Francis was given free rein.

But everything changed when the easygoing, player-friendly Tomjanovich was replaced by the controlling and uptight Jeff Van Gundy.

Van Gundy helped guide Francis to his lone playoff appearance (a 4-1 series loss to the Los Angeles Lakers), but Francis was gone two months later, traded to Orlando in a package for Tracy McGrady.

"Jeff wanted to trade him a soon as Jeff took the job," said Knicks forward Maurice Taylor, who played for four and a half seasons with the Rockets. "Jeff ran a type of system that he didn't really want most of the scoring to come from his point guard."

Under Van Gundy, Francis averaged a career-low 16.6 points a game, down from 21 the previous two seasons. Francis seethed. He said he saw the experience differently now.

"I've matured so much," he said.

He once felt the need to be his team's top scorer, but now Francis said he was comfortable playing a more complementary role. Referring to Van Gundy, he said, "It took me a year or two to realize that he was just trying to help his team get better and help me get better."

Yet there was another bad ending in Orlando. On Jan. 11, Francis defied Coach Brian Hill, refusing to re-enter the game in the final minutes of a blowout loss to Seattle. He was suspended for two games, prompting the trade talks that culminated with last week's deal.

"He was eager to get out of the situation he was in," Mobley, now with the Clippers, said by phone.

So Francis, who bounced through a half-dozen schools, who forced his way out of Canada and who was kicked out of Houston, was on the move again.

"I still have time left in my career that I can help this team win games and get to places that they haven't been in a long time," Francis said. "One of my goals is to leave the Garden with my jersey hanging from the rafters. When I got traded, I went into the gym and I was looking up at the history, the legacy of that arena. Now that I'm one of them, I'm thinking what can I do to get myself up there, what can I do to help my team get one of those banners."

2. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Very nice read, thanks for posting it.

I am conflicted and have always been about Francis. I really like the guy and he's still to this day one of my favorite players in the league, I am still intrigued by his career and follow him and even cheer him on even when they play us...as long as the Rockets win, of course.

I relaly wish him the best, the bottom line is this: the trade was pure business, nothing personal. No one ever expected McGrady could be had, and once the opportunity presented itself, the Rockets (much like every single team in the NBA) couldn't say no, he was simply a better fit and a better talent to pair with Yao.

I wish Stevie the best, I am glad that he now seems to finally understand that JVG wasn't trying to kill his career or destroy him, but rather show him how he could be more and elevate those around him; I am glad Stevie sees it now, JVG has been nothing but complimentary of him every chance his name was brought up.

Much like many players in the league, Stevie's real problem is that he's lost his passion, his love for the game ever since he left town. Watching KG these days, he's going through the same thing, just going through the motions and seems to have lost interest in caring anymore. That's the single worst thing that could happen to a player, for him to just not be into it anymore. But it happens, these players are human beings, whether we like it or not, this stuff is going to happen when you're caught in unpleasent situations or a place/team that you don't want to be on, or when you lose a lot and you see no hope in sight (KG's case).

3. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

I don't think Steve is a bad guy. But as a basketball player, I don't like him at all.

4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I loved his heart. He isn't one that I would count on for the toughest defensive assignments and I wouldn't build a team just around him. He is a good player and if he has settled down to realize he can be a great player if he takes more of the complimentary player role then he is in good shape. I wouldn't mind having him back in a rockets uniform if he wouldn't mind being a third option behind McGrady and Yao. He has to play Sura's role though. He would have to be the dog on the court. Give us a twinkle and a wink. Give Mcgrady and Yao the hugs. But of course only after the whistle. He has the heart and the fierce competitor spirit I think this very team needs. It's just too bad his contract is so far up there. I really think he would be the type that would wear nash down and make parker looking for his shadow.

5. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Francis has been said to be maturing for the past 7 years, yet he comes up with new crap every year (Superbowl for JVG, No-show in practice for Johnny Davis and refusing to enter the game for Brian Hill).

Anyway, I don't hate the guy, I don't question his heart, I don't even care about him anymore since he's not a Rockets, but it simply amuses me that every year, there is a warm fuzzy kind of article like this comes out claiming he's maturing, and in which Francis says all the right things. Sometimes actions speak louder than words...

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i like francis and always will. i still have a couple magazine covers with him on it in rockets uniforms. and one day ill get them framed to put up in my future game room.

i wish francis the best of luck ;)

7. blender

blender Member

Just found this interesting. Wonder if it's true.

8. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Referring to Van Gundy, he said, "It took me a year or two to realize that he was just trying to help his team get better and help me get better."

I'm pretty sure Steve meant to say that Mr. Van Gundy is the best coach he ever had and loved playing for him.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i like how when a mean article comes out, everyone bashes steve to go with the flow. now a nice article comes out, and everyone is all "i always liked the guy". Maybe it's not the same people...but it's still hilarious to read the diff. in the threads

10. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I still love Stevie, but I think it's funny how an article like this comes out once or twice a year, and then nothing changes. Every year (usually at the beginning of the year, and then just after the all-star break), there's a few articles where Steve says he's "turned the corner" and has matured, and he's learned how to be a team player, and he just wants to win, and blah blah blah. But then, nothing changes. Remember a few years ago, when he met with Oscar Robertson at the ASG, and how it was supposed to really push him to being a better player . . . and nothing really changed. Steve is still one of my favorites, but I like him as a person -- as a player, he just doesn't really get it.

11. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I was always and am still a fan of Francis. With that said, it doesn't take much to see, he's fairly good at saying the right things, but sometimes ends up doing something to contradict what he says. His heart is usually in the right place, and maybe his "want" to win makes him make poor decisions.

12. hooi

hooi Contributing Member

This article reads like it was written by Francis's publicist.

I'll believe it when I see it.

13. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I miss SF3! he played his heart out here and was our dog on the court. If he could ever assume a complimentary role with TMac / Yao then I would welcome him back on the Rox.

J

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

exactly my feelings. i never hated steve. steve frustrated the crap out of me, but i never hated the guy.

but you're right...he was great at saying all the right things...but never employing those thoughts in his game.

15. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I would too, but tlets get real, he's making max dollars...not feasible since Les Alexander himself said that he won't pay lux tax except for a guy that he believes will definitely beyond a question make this team an instant championship contender.

As much as I like Steve, I don't think he would fit the mold of what Les is looking for.

16. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

you can't help but love him, you can't help but hate him

17. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

No, I don't love him and I don't hate him. He is just what he is, another guy in the NBA who has tons of talent, feels great about himself, makes a boatload of money, says all the right things but never really "gets it", will have a decent career, and we won't remember him much when he's gone.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

After a few years of hoping his fulfillment of being the "Franchise," I realized that Steve would be a great role player--if he would take the role. His scoring ability, his rebounding, his ability to create, his penetration, his energy, his heart, I mean, he possesses all the qualities you want in a role player, except for his dominance of the ball. If he can really assume a complementary role, he might be worth the money he is making.