1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYT: Van Gundy Still Trying to Play Down Image

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Van Gundy Still Trying to Play Down Image
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/22/sports/basketball/22vangundy.html

By IRA BERKOW

Published: January 22, 2005

For many Knicks fans, the first image of Jeff Van Gundy is his wrapping himself around Alonzo Mourning's leg like a barnacle.

"I know it is," Van Gundy said with a wan smile and a shrug before his team, the Houston Rockets, defeated the Knicks, 92-91, last night at Madison Square Garden. "It's shown over and over and over again in highlight films."

The bizarre scene took place in the last seconds of Game 4 of the Knicks' playoff series with the Miami Heat in 1998 at the Garden. Mourning and Larry Johnson got into a scuffle, and the 5-foot-9 Van Gundy raced off the bench to attach himself to the 6-10 Mourning in an attempt to protect his player, Johnson, who happened to be built like a tank.

"If I had it to do over, I would not have gone out and looked like a fool," Van Gundy said. "I was crazed. I didn't know what I was doing. Some people have said to me, 'What were you thinking?' The answer is, I wasn't thinking. I was just reacting."

There are other memories of Van Gundy here, like his being the coach of Knicks teams that were annual participants in the playoffs. That is a delicious recollection for New York fans who now follow a team with a 17-22 record and shaky postseason possibilities.

Van Gundy added to the Knicks' uncertainty last night as Scott Padgett's driving last-second shot gave the Rockets the victory.

"This isn't the same as coming back to the Garden for the first time," Van Gundy said before the game.

He returned for the first time last season, his first with Houston after having quit as coach of the Knicks in December 2001. "But it's still special," he said. "It's the Garden."

He was asked about Lenny Wilkens, the Knicks' coach, whose job seems to be in jeopardy.

"I admire Lenny," Van Gundy said. "I admire his calm demeanor. He's been an excellent coach for years in this league. And with that experience he knows things go from good to bad and from bad to good real quick."

Van Gundy added: "When you're going good, there's no better place to be than New York. When you're going bad, well, it can be difficult."

While New York has a reputation for being a tough place for sports figures because of the news media and the fans, Van Gundy said it was a myth. "I think they were fair to me," he said. "I like the scrutiny. I like the passion. You take the good with the bad."

He said his team, which is 22 -19, was "battling mediocrity."

That is even with the acquisition this season of Tracy McGrady. The Rockets are one of the oldest teams in the league and lack the speed and athleticism of many opponents. The trade that brought McGrady to the Rockets and sent Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley to the Orlando Magic gave Houston one of the best players in the league but took away Francis, a point guard who was a creative force.

"It was overhyped and overplayed about negatives about Steve," Van Gundy said. "But he had a good year last year and helped us get into the playoffs for the first time in five years. He made it easier for everybody, and he made good decisions on when to defer to Yao and when to attack. He's now made a big difference with Orlando."

Orlando has improved markedly - the return of the injury-riddled Grant Hill has also been a significant factor - while the Rockets have not.

"Every team has talent," Van Gundy said, "but the best teams have their best player as the best worker, the best practice player, the player who plays through pain. Tim Duncan is a perfect example of that. That's why, for example, San Antonio is the best team in the league, and was the best team last year though they didn't win the championship."

Last night, the Rockets' McGrady was such a player, finishing with 35 points, 6 rebounds and 5 assists.

Perhaps the biggest test for Van Gundy's team is to take advantage of the talent of the 7-6 center from China, Yao Ming, who had 22 points and 12 rebounds last night. Patrick Ewing, the longtime star center of the Knicks, has been coaching Yao.

"Patrick had an intensity level that is hard to teach," Van Gundy said. "He was born with size, though not necessarily with the most ability. But for the 12 hours before a game, he would get himself into a rage to play. Yao doesn't have that kind of personality. But what he does have is great poise. That also serves him well."

Van Gundy was asked, if he had it to do over again, whether he should have stayed at Yale after his freshman year, instead of transferring to a junior college in California to get more playing time on a basketball team.

He considered the question. "My mother thinks so," he said, with raised eyebrows.

2. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

You know, say what you may about JVG, but the man has been nothing but classy and incredibly full of praise for Steve Francis whenever he mentions him in the media, following the trade that is.

I only wish Steve would take a similar high-road and stop bashing JVG every chance he gets.

3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Totally. Comparing JVG and Weissass is like night and day. I am glad to be a fan of the organization that has some class.

4. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.nynewsday.com/sports/bas...009jan22,0,6542223.story?coll=ny-knicks-print

Jeff: If I could do it again, I would have stayed longer

BY ANTHONY RIEBER
    STAFF WRITER

January 22, 2005

If you're wondering if Jeff Van Gundy has changed since he left the Knicks, consider his response when someone said his Houston Rockets have been playing well of late.

"Not really," he said, a trademark can of Diet Coke in his left hand.

"We played OK [Thursday in a 108-99 win in Orlando]. Two games before that we were pretty bad. Four games before that we were pretty good. I think us and the Knicks are very similar in that we're struggling to break through mediocrity."

That's the Van Gundy Knicks fans know and love - frumpy and cranky and demanding and always seeing the glass as half-empty. But he's a reminder of past Madison Square Garden glory, which is why he received a warm ovation before Friday night's game against the Knicks. The Rockets (22-19) won, 92-91, on Scott Padgett's off-balance shot at the buzzer.

Van Gundy comes back to New York only once a season. This was his second time as an opposing coach at the Garden since he resigned 19 games into the 2001-02 season, a decision he says he now wishes he had delayed.

"Did it end badly for me?" he said. "No. Well ... Didn't end badly, could have ended better. There's no doubt that when you leave a place after being in a place for so long, to say there's no regret, that would not be truthful. If I had a total do-over . . . I knew it was time, I knew they thought it was time. I should have done it at the end of the season."

In Van Gundy's first Garden return, on Jan. 8, 2004, the Rockets blew out the Knicks, 111-79. Knicks fans chanted Van Gundy's name and called for the firing of Don Chaney.

There were no such chants calling for the head of Knicks coach Lenny Wilkens on Friday, although the loss was the ninth defeat in the last 10 games for the Knicks (17-22). Van Gundy, who was smart enough to get out before the Knicks got bad and before his head was on a platter, said he felt for Wilkens.

"If you look at Lenny Wilkens, he's proven to be an excellent coach wherever he's been," Van Gundy said. "If you're not going to give him all the credit for the wins, then he shouldn't be getting all the blame when he loses."

Van Gundy also was typically tough on his Rockets, who have won 16 of 24 after a 6-11 start. He knows the trade for Tracy McGrady made Houston a trendy preseason pick, but the supporting cast doesn't support that assumption in the rough Western Conference.

McGrady had 35 points Friday and Yao Ming had 22 points and 12 rebounds, but Padgett (12) was the only other Rocket in double figures.

"We were the seventh seed last year, the West is better this year, we've had more injuries than we had last year," Van Gundy said.

"That's why it's always a struggle."

5. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Since Lenny Wilkens now resigned from the Knicks, perhaps Van r****d can go back and coach NY again, we'll get a legit coach,PG,PF, championship baby here we go!!!!!!!!

6. tigermission1

Typical JVG hater:rolleyes:

You guys continue to amaze me! Always blaming the man, never giving him credit.

He might turn you off with his style, but this is the style that all successful coaches in the league (save Phil and Rudy T) tend to adapt. Have you ever seen how Popovich rips through his players like they are a bunch of kids? At least JVG does not do that. If you want a coach to pamper the players and befriend them and praise them all the time whether they do good or bad, then JVG is not your guy, and you are more than likely to never get the full potential out of your players.

I would say JVG's ways have worked quiet well in the past, and hopefully it will work again in the future, right here in Houston.

Give the man his credit when it is due, some of you guys are beginning to sicken me with your blind bias against the guy:rolleyes:

7. edc

edc Contributing Member

(1) If you think JVG is getting "full potential" from Yao or even T-Mac, you are mistaken.

(2) There is a difference between "pamper, befriend, praise" and "keeping business behind closed doors." JVG needs to learm the latter.

8. tigermission1

Yes, JVG needs to keep things behind closed doors, just like Phil "The greatest coach ever" Jackson did with the Lakers/Bulls:rolleyes:

Anyways, he will eventually get the full potential out of T-Mac/Yao as they grow up and become more mature/balanced players and know that winning is the only thing that matters in this league, not individual greatness (alas Barkley), then they will fulfill their potentials. But I would say you are expecting waaaaaayyy too much from a bunch of kids (literally) who are 25 and 24 years of age, add to that the fact that they are the laid back types and are just nice individuals (not Isiah Thomas, Jordan, Pippen, or Malones in the league anymore, not even KG or anyone else of the young stars who just don't "get it").

Let the two guys grow together, and I think this team will prosper in the future, especially under a disciplinerian coach, whether it is JVG/PJ/Riley/Sloan/LB or anyone else.

But believe me, these guys need a JVG-type coach at this stage of their careers, a Flip Saunders/Rudy T type is more suited for grown up superstars.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

"We were the seventh seed last year, the West is better this year, we've had more injuries than we had last year," Van Gundy said.

"That's why it's always a struggle."

Yeah! No excuses!

10. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Even though LA won the 1st rnd series last year. I believe we outplayed them in non clutch situations and I credit that to JVG and his system we lost the series because of about 15 seconds of bad plays. With a Rudy team we would have been swept and be outplayed and possibly embarressed.

11. edc

edc Contributing Member

Nonsense. The Rockets were lucky to be as close as they were. 4-1 is as bad as a team can do in a seven game series without being swept.

12. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

JVG to me is in many ways like Allen Iverson (without the police raps) - 'good people' but often misunderstood by the unassuming and extreemists.

13. edc

edc Contributing Member

Uhhh...whatever. JVG is what he is. An average NBA head coach that (from most first-hand accounts), is an SOB to work with.

14. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I would think JVG would be trying to play up his image.I mean after all is the most famous midget coach in basketball.

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

JVG will coach the Rockets all the way to the Western Conference Finals in 2005-2006...

16. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Like Jerry Sloan right?

edc, you are still a great guy - just let jvg be. Deal?

17. tigermission1

Boy, you sure you are not Steve Francis? ;) :D

Average coach? Hardly, but that is your opinion and I respect it. A SOB to work with? Well, it seems to me his previous NYKnicks players are incredibly loyal to him and have nothing but respect and admiration for the man, and that is worth something if Patrick Ewing is one of those guys.

Again, i think JVG is such a polarizing figure to most Rockets fans, and that is why he creates such a response from fans.

But as was in NY, he will grow on you, if he sticks around long enough;) (I think he will)

18. edc

edc Contributing Member

reply in "Fire Gundy!!!"