1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYT INVESTIGATES: Rubio and Wife Cited 17 Times for Traffic Infractions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the right is spending more time on this more than the nytimes did.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this is the key right here. The only people claiming this is supposed to be a scandal have been on the right.

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The scandal is the New York Times publishing smear pieces based not on their own research, but on research done by American Bridge — an oppo research team working on behalf of Democrats.

Democratic Oppo Firm’s Fingerprints on NYT Rubio Hit

Not that the New York Times being a lead player for the Democrat's smear activities is any breaking news, but it is scandalous nevertheless. At least it would be scandalous for any serious journalistic media outlet that takes journalistic integrity seriously.

However, it is not clear that the NYTs is even pretending to be concerned about the antiquated (in the minds of many on the left) ideal of journalistic ethics, so maybe they do not consider this to be anything they need to be bothered with anymore.

4. andersongo

andersongo Member

The media in the US has long been biased. As a foreigner, my perspective is obviously primarily concerned with the ridiculous reporting of American foreign policy. But that the US mainstream media has a heavy leftist bias is fairly well-known as shown by the Stephanopoulos debacle and the hilarious Journolist episode.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Not sure what ethical violation occurred here. Are you saying the Times didn't credit American Bridge?

Not sure how this is a smear campaign if it is true. What's the big deal? The right makes every stupid thing into an issue. If Obama says one thing it's all over the right wing press over the stupidest things. Reporting on Rubio's traffic tickets seems legit. I just don't think anyone cares. Except butthurt Republicans.

Ironically, they are the ones making an issue out of this and drawing more attention to Rubio and his wife with a lead foot.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

since spousal travel habits are now fair game, looking forward to the NYTimes piece on Bill Clinton's trips on Jeffrey Epstein's Lolita Express to Pedophile Island

http://gawker.com/flight-logs-put-clinton-dershowitz-on-pedophile-billio-1681039971

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I really don't care. American politics is a joke. No more are Americans concerned about actual policy.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

They got handed an oppo dump that said Rubio had 4 traffic citations in 20 years (the horror!).

Rather than admit that's where they got it, they lied, even giving two reporters and a researcher credit for the story to make it look like they did some real investigative work. Even though public records show the only organization that pulled the citation was the oppo group American Bridge.

The Times is so lazy they didn't even pull the reports themselves to confirm and give them plausible deniability that they weren't just blindly reprinting oppo research.

And all for a lame non story hit piece that shows Rubio is a normal person who actually drives a car, occasionally gets traffic tickets, and doesn't use his position to get out of them.

Have to think the real reporters at The Times like Maggie Haberman are pissed that this makes them look in the tank. It's just so sloppy.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Once thought The New York Times was Hillary's press shop. Oh wait, that's true. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RubioCrimeSpree?src=hash">#RubioCrimeSpree</a> <a href="http://t.co/Fq4u0PIfzY">pic.twitter.com/Fq4u0PIfzY</a></p>&mdash; Team Marco (@TeamMarco) <a href="https://twitter.com/TeamMarco/status/606901357476462592">June 5, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or their research is what turned up that oppo firms findings. Nobody on the left is making it a huge scandal. All we've seen is people on the right wishing that the left was making it a huge scandal.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I don't think it was positioned as an investigative report. More of something buried in the day-to-day political coverage.

I don't think the times is trying to make a big deal of Rubio's moving violations. I think the right is. They didn't position it as a scandal. It's not on the front page for f's sake man.

And the right takes much smaller things than this and makes it into a scandal. It's a scandal for Hilary to tell someone to wait in line for an autograph like everyone else. I guess Republicans see that as a crime worth reporting and talking about. They are use to getting special privilege and bypassing those that wait in line after all all.

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Maybe Hillary can have the AG clear this up after she is elected.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I get the sense the Rubio people created this whole "scandal" and response... after all, who would even be thinking about Rubio?

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I did not know there are ROF.

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Persecution outrage is a standard GOP propaganda tactic. Things like "The War on Christianity" would make Don Draper incredulous.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Oh, but the war on Christianity does exist... just look how the media is going after that child molester, er, I mean young fella that made a few mistakes while going through puberty at 15 years old Duggar... ;)

1 person likes this.
  16. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Exactly, this thread is absolutely pathetic. I don't care that his wife speeds, 1 speeding ticket a year is no big deal.

17. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Have we ever seen a more victimized bunch of whiners than today's modern republican party?

18. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I don't know. It is probably pretty close.

[​IMG]

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Good god conservatives are really just, wow.

Do you know what a "document retrieval service" is? It's a private company that goes and gets paper filings from the court for you. It wouldn't show up on a docket sheet.

It's like getting a value meal from McDonalds, and saying "THERE'S NO DRIVE THRU WINDOW IN THIS BAG"

Embarrassing.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I mean come on....Lin fans take this quite easily.