1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYT] Anxious Democratic Establishment Asks, ‘Is There Anybody Else?’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I personally not that excited with the current group of democratic candidates.

If someone like Warren or Sanders win the democratic nomination, moderates will be forced to make a tough choice and I am not sure it is the choice democrats will like.

Joe Biden is not a wonderful candidate primarily because of his mouth and his long history which is easy to pick a part.

I have no doubt that there are donors reaching out to potential candidates.

I could see Michael Bloomberg as one they will attempt to persuade to run.

I am sure they will not push him to enter the race but I believe that Sharrod Brown would win the nomination had he ran. He is quite liberal but he is far better at how he packages his message.

The person I believe would make the best President is Chris Coons.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

so true. Probably impossible for his face and personality in the modern era, but he would be a great choice.

Nook likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I personally only trust OAN. Excellent journalistic integrity there.

4. fchowd0311

5. Major

Major Member

The former - I think the mostly likely outcome is Biden winning the nomination, and then picking one of those two as his VP. Abrams gives him the full demographic diversity, and helps put Georgia in play along with its 2 Senate seats. Biden/Klobuchar reinforces the midwest blue wall, and she's aligned politically with him in the moderate lane.

Rashmon, Nook and justtxyank like this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The "not happy with candidates let's call for the White Knight" happens in every cycle by both parties when they aren't the incumbent (and sometimes even then.)

Bloomberg wants to run. Clinton wants to run.

If Biden falters significantly in time, I could see one of them jumping in.

RayRay10, Major and Nook like this.
  7. justtxyank

Biden/Klobuchar has my vote. I've been on Klobuchar as a VP pick longer than anyone I think. I think I even got attacked by Glynch for suggesting her because she's a white woman or something.

Nook and Major like this.
  8. fchowd0311

We tried the long term moderate corporate establishment candidate with a lot of baggage before. I guess we'll do it again and I'm sure the "only a establishment moderate can win the general" camp will admit their mistake when they tried their method two national elections in a row.

I'll vote for whoever comes out of the DNC as I think a Trump administration is as close to a threat to our constitutional republic a president could bring forth but I'll be disappointed of the DNC falls for the same mistake. At least my conscience will be cleared knowing that I didn't want to repeat the same mistake.

Rashmon, JayGoogle and peleincubus like this.
  9. Major

Major Member

There is a paradox of choice at play here - GOP went through it in 2016 as well. The more candidates you have, the less happy you'll be with most of them because it's more likely there's one that you generally do like that doesn't win. That said, I think Dems will get over that real fast thanks to Trump.

The "white knight' candidate isn't out there. Outside of Michelle Obama, there's not really anyone on the Dem side that would both unite and excite the majority of the Dem party, and she's not running.

jiggyfly, Rashmon, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I agree.

I just have serious concerns about how Biden will hold up through the GE (assuming he wins the nomination as I still think Warren has a 25% chance).

Biden has seen better days. I would feel more confident with someone still in the prime.

I understand that we weigh that against the bloated pig he would be running against, but Trump is quite savvy in some ways.

Rashmon and Major like this.
  11. Major

Major Member

Way back when this all started, Klobuchar was my original favorite candidate to win the nomination if I had my choice (I think she's wipe the floor with Trump), but she just never took off and I kind of forgot about her. Pete was my favorite I-don't-care-about-electability candidate. I love both of those. I'd love Klobuchar as VP, and hope Pete can use this as a springboard to maybe Indiana Governor or something like that.

jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  12. justtxyank

Yeah, Biden is definitely washed up. If he were still playing at the level he was as Obama's VP this would be locked up.

Nook likes this.
  13. justtxyank

I like Klobuchar the best I think as well, but she really lacks a strong charisma. She shakes a little during public speaking as well which makes her look "weak." She's also not very attractive and has a tendency to look sour. These are all unfair criticisms, but they definitely hurt her.

Nook likes this.
  14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think the million dollar question is if a very liberal candidate can turnout more hardcore liberal voters than the loss of moderate voters that they will turn off. If you look at the numbers from the last election, Hillary lost because she couldn't turn out minority voters in key states.

Nook likes this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lots of good choices, just pick one that has integrity and is pitching hope.

Will win by a landslide.

DD

16. Major

Major Member

Hillary won by 3 million votes and turnout was fine. She lost blue-collar white voters in the midwest (Obama-Trump voters), which is what cost her the election. Flip some of those back and Dems win WI/PA/MI. That's the easiest route back to winning the election. The alternative is to try to get Florida back, but you'd still need one of those three anyway.

Nook likes this.
  17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Boomers are scared ya'll.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, I have to say the whole idea of these articles smells like a GOP passion-play fantasy.

I mean... you have to have Darth Vader / the Devil show up to scare you / to scream at. That's what Hillary Clinton is to so many.

Also, it's y'all. (you all = y' all). Important detail for a proud Texas-based board like this one (he typed in California).

body slam, RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

George Will says Klobuchar and Bennet are the two grown-ups in the room

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...5d685a-f4ef-11e9-8cf0-4cc99f74d127_story.html

Corrosion likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

*Yawl

B-Bob likes this.