1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(NYPost) Stevie and Starbury Dynamite

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by xiki, Oct 30, 2006.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.nypost.com/seven/1030200...t_duo_runs_wild_knicks_marc_berman.htm?page=0

(It'll be an interesting backcourt...sorry this doesn't have the other's great pics, tho... :D )

KNICKS' DYNAMIC BACKCOURT DUO RUNS WILD
    By MARC BERMAN
    October 30, 2006 -- Stephon Marbury and Steve Francis formed a strong friendship off the court over the summer and in the Knicks' final preseason game Friday at The Meadowlands, they showed how dangerous they can be as an on-court tandem.

Francis (39) and Marbury (24) combined for 63 points in the Knicks' 138-121 loss to the Nets, both players thriving in the transition offense, slicing to the basket at will.

Nobody knows if the Knicks' defense will be competent enough to make them a playoff team when the season opens Wednesday in Memphis, but they should have an explosive offensive club spearheaded by the Marbury-Francis backcourt.

"Steve and I have a really good feel for each other now," Marbury told The Post. "We both want each other to do well, which no one knows."

During the summer, Francis did his backcourt mate a favor by filming an extended interview for a TV talk show Marbury's shopping. In the preseason opener, Francis, in a show of sneaker solidarity, wore Marbury's "Starbury Ones." Francis clearly is making an effort to be Marbury's buddy.

Often compared by their playing styles, Marbury says the 29-year-olds are being propelled by the same forces.

"We are trying to really win a championship," Marbury said. "Our whole lives we wanted something, and that one thing was to make it to the NBA. Now that's done. It has to be something else. And the "chip" is the only thing left to do in basketball. We have everything that we want as far as money. So now you have to have something else to push you."

The moment Francis arrived from Orlando in a trade last February, Marbury immediately lobbied for the Knicks to be a "run and gun" team. Incensed at Marbury's public plea, former coach Larry Brown slowed the offense further, making Marbury look over to the sidelines to get the play every time he crossed midcourt.

New coach Isiah Thomas' free-wheeling, react-and-read offense could not be more opposite Brown's philosophy.

"The offense is conducive to the way [Francis and Marbury] like to play," Thomas said. "We want to play an up-tempo game, we want to put those guys in positions where they can be very effective. [Friday] they were extremely effective. They can spread the floor, they can get to the basket. They're a tough combination to guard when they're on top of their game."

Although Marbury and Francis each had six assists, they also committed five turnovers, as they still are adapting to the quick speed. Francis and Marbury played three of the six preseason games as a tandem; Francis missed two games with injury and Marbury rested his foot in another.

"It's more of an open motion, where all five guys are going to get a chance to contribute," said David Lee, who has outplayed Channing Frye at power forward.

Marbury and Francis can't do it alone. Marbury knows they will need Eddy Curry to turn into an angry beast in the paint, play with the "manliness" Thomas proclaimed last week. But the dynamic backcourt - with Jamal Crawford and Nate Robinson off the bench - is the Knicks' strength, no doubt.

"This is going to be way better than last year," Robinson said. "We're going to have a lot more fun."

The Knicks were off yesterday, but buyout talks with Jalen Rose continued. Rose is out of the rotation and feels he still has a few years left in him. The Knicks have been hard-pressed to trade his expiring contract without taking on future payroll, which is against James Dolan's mandate. Things should be resolved today.

marc.berman@nypost.com

2. Palmray

Palmray Contributing Member

I would like to see them suceed. Francis was the bright spot (with Mobes) during those years he was with the rockets and made me still proud to be a Rockets fan. So I hope they will make some noise. But NYK maybe still will mess it up again.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The talent is there to make them the best backcourt ever. They just need a huge attitude change.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Their team lost even though they both thrived...typical of their careers.

5. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Well, heck. At least they'll be fun to watch. :D

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

glasses houses and stones don't mix

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

If they were in the West, I wouldn't consider them a threat to make the playoffs, but in the East, who knows? The only teams you can really count out of the playoff picture right now, are the Hawks and the Bobcats..

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Personnel wise the knicks have a really deep roster. People always talk about their veteran guys like Francis, Curry, Marbury, Richardson, Crawford, but people underestimate their young players.

Frye is excellent, David Lee is not bad either, Renaldo Balkman has been a pleasant surprise and Mardy Collins has looked good in limited minutes, he's sort of an Aaron McKie clone who can play any guard spot but is 6-6 (which means they can pair him with Francis or Marbury and have him play point but not be undersized), plus they have Nate Robinson if they need him.

9. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I don't like Isaiah, but I'll agree on the one point that Francis and Marbury should run. That's what they're best at, if they play any other way they're average at best. But I see this like a TO situation. Down the road it's going to get bumpy, and between the three of them someone is going to start running their mouth and it will all go downhill. Not to mention w/ their great offensive output they still lost. It doesn't matter if you score 200 if the other team gets 201 points.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

So now those two guys will hog the ball and they'll lose, lose, lose?

I wish Steve Francis well (unless he plays against us) but Isiah is gonna give those they-remind-me-of-me guards too much rope.

11. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Nobody has a problem for DW or LBJ, especially DW hogging the ball and driving, to get touch fouls every trip, but huge cry over SF or SM. Isn't this officially a guard's league now? SF might not be as strong or gifted as Wade, but he has the same big heart. I can never forget the scene that he walked up to Yao for an attempted high five after Yao's freethrow, during the Magic-Rockets game, without noticing their different uniforms. I seriously wish him success. Too bad he is a shooting guard in a point guard body.