1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYPost] Rockets could make push for Carmelo (UPDATE: Blog post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

If this meant less Dwight post up, and then later on a Melo/Durant trade, I'm all for it.

Let dwight play more pick and roll! Stop posting him up.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

this is where lin/omer expiring contracts come in handy...

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

didn't he start something about Rondo?

4. howdydodat

howdydodat New Member

You still believe that after the game against the Bulls last night?

I hate the Bulls but I think they give him a better chance to win.

Bulls are winning with Dunleavy at SF... that alone is an indication that Chicago probably gives him a better chance to win just by replacing Dunleavy with Melo.

Then you include the fact that the Bulls are currently playing without a former MVP. The only guy to win an MVP in the past 5 seasons not named Lebron. Who knows if he'll be as good as he ever was but if he is... look out. They've been playing Hinrich and Augustin in his place. I assume Rose on busted up knees is still better than either of them.

Lastly... the Bulls biggest flaw is offense. They have an elite defense but a cruddy offense. If you add Melo's offense to that defense while replacing Dunleavy with Melo and Hinrich with Rose, I'd say the Bulls give Melo the best chance to win. I mean... if you're winning with Hinrich and Dunleavy, I'd have to believe that an upgrade of Rose and Melo would hands down give Melo the best chance to win there. That or piggybacking Lebron, but even then... I'd take the Bulls with the addition of a healthy Rose and Melo. They'd roll the Heat imo. We're talking a starting line up of Noah, Gibson(or Mirotic), Melo, Butler, Rose. They're winning with a line up of Noah, Boozer, Dunleavy, Butler, Hinrich(or Augustin). I couldn't imagine how much better that other line up would be. I hope it doesn't happen because I despise the Bulls. I can't ignore the fact that I actually think Melo has a better chance of winning with the Bulls though if they don't have to gut their roster. Seeing as they have like 3 first round picks in this draft(a deep draft) and someone like Snell coming off a rookie contract, they could probably trade Boozer, Snell and 3 1st round picks for Melo in a sign and trade. Knicks are desperate for 1sts since they essentially have known and Boozer would come off the books with Amare, Chandler and Bargnani. Now you have a Knicks team with Hardaway Jr, Shumpert, Snell, three first round players for the 2014 draft on the books and nothing else. It would be their chance to go after Marc Gasol/Omer Asik at center. Kevin Love/Lamarcus Aldridge at power forward. Rajon Rondo/Tony Parker at point guard. If they could pull off a trio of those guys and have 6 young trading pieces, they'd be sitting pretty. Things would have to fall into place for that but we've seen super teams form before. And a city like New York is a place where that could easily happen.

5. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

eww...worst defensive team ever?? #1 isoball hogging team as well. i could imagine Harden and Melo fighting ovee the ball and getting into each others face like Evan Turner.

1 person likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Is NY Post the good paper or the gossipy one? I remember one of the big NY paper being less than 100% trustworthy.

7. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

NY Post is gossipy I think. Someone behind the scenes is trying to push rumors out

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

New York has to be thinking about what happened to LA. They got nothing for Dwight because they were confident they could lock him up...and that was the Lakers! By all accounts a vastly superior franchise than the Knicks. I just don't see Melo staying. No one else wants to go there, they don't have draft picks, they don't have much talent, and they got an owner who seems to be addicted to making bad decisions.

If Phil Jackson comes on board I doubt he's gonna feel good about only getting back Asik, Lin, and a bunch of late round picks. Someone will come with a much better offer. Even if Melo says I'm going to Houston, LA or Chicago, certainly at least Chicago could offer more.

9. scottie brooks

Bye bye Parsons.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Yeah never believe the Post ...Vecsey's old paper. But it's remotely plausible.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Melo has been pretty good on defense since they had Woodson, clear that many people don't watch enough Knicks games and think about the younger Melo. Really heavy worker and hustles on the court, gives 100% on most games. Also terrific at getting offensive rebounds.

To the ballhoging point many people make, look at the Olympics/World Cup or current Miami Heat. Stars love playing together and become unselfish during the process, the ball movement with star-packed rosters has always been great.

1 person likes this.
  12. ish1973

ish1973 Member

Everyone will be happy in the regular season. Then eliminated before the WCF by a tough team playing real defense. And three superstars enjoying their long hoildays making fun and money. All blames landed on the coach and he got fired.

13. basketballholic

The Phil Jackson story could easily fall apart in the next few days if it doesn't cause Melo to commit. I really don't think Phil wants to go there. He wants control of basketball ops for the Lakers alongside his wife. I think the whole Phil to the Knicks thing is a ruse by Phil to try to shake Jim Buss into ceding control of the Lakers or at least Jim, Jeanie, and Phil coming to a working agreement that is in the Lakers' best interest. Especially with Melo's remarks of non-committal to the Knicks even if they actually hire PJax.

And if Phil does indeed go there.....if Melo wants out its not going to matter whether Phil feels good about Asik/Lin/picks. Melo can walk to Chicago IF Chicago finds a taker for Gibson. Melo can walk to the Rockets if the Rockets can find a home for Lin. Melo can walk to the Lakers if he needs to. He can walk to the Heat.

Frankly, I think the whole Chicago thing is a ruse from Melo. Why would he want to go there? Rose injured 2 years in a row. Too many "what ifs" surrounding Rose in Chicago. Without Rose, Melo and Noah won't make it to the Finals much less win it.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

For all of those doubting how Carmelo would fit in, he excelled at playing the scorer role for the US Olympic team that has all other other superstars. He just need everyone else to play D for him :)

15. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Are you ****ing serious?

16. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I would rather have Boobie Gibson :p

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Sub Melo for Parsons on this team and it wins a title this season.

18. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

We're not getting Melo. Morey probably leaked this to show Harden & Howard we're "trying really hard" to make moves. No chance in hell

1 person likes this.
  19. basketballholic

We may not get Melo. But we're going for a 3rd superstar. And I think we're going to get him. Don't know who but I think one of those guys is likely to become a Rocket within a year and a few months at most.

1. Lebron
    2. Love
    3. LaMarcus
    4. Bosh
    5. Melo
    6. Marc Gasol
    7. Rondo

20. chandlerbang21

parsons, lin and asik for melo shumpert