1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYPost] Rockets could make push for Carmelo (UPDATE: Blog post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 13, 2014.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Lin and Asik are gone if the Rockets want to sign Melo. And if a team offers Parsons too much possibly him as well.

Beverley/decent backup PG
    Harden/adequate bench guy
    Melo/adequate bench guy
    Jone/competent backup big
    Howard/competent backup big

Could be a fun year.

2. playlife

playlife Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>RT <a href="https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN">@WindhorstESPN</a>: .<a href="https://twitter.com/LarryCoon">@LarryCoon</a> projecting unexpected jump of $5M in salary cap. If that holds, game changer for Melo &amp; his CHI/HOU options</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/457334135036473345">April 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  3. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Oh yeah baby

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>On Wednesday night's Coast to Coast, I reported how Chicago is quietly feeling more and more optimistic about its Melo chances. Now this</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/457334435956797440">April 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Been writing all along that Bulls will exhaust the Carmelo situation to its conclusion before moving to Plan B. If cap jumps, can only help.</p>&mdash; K.C. Johnson (@KCJHoop) <a href="https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/statuses/457335533912752128">April 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

5. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Oh wow!

6. basketballholic

http://cbafaq.com/blog/?p=304

projected cap now at $63.2 million
    lux tax projected at $77 million

That's actually a small increase over the previous projected $62.9 million.

7. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

I agree the Rockets are the better option, I just think Chicago has the easiest path to clear enough cap space in order to acquire him

8. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

I think Melo prefers warm weather and more talent, so Houston over Chicago. ;)

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what the big deal is.

10. treeman

treeman Member

Just to reflect, a bit of navel gazing... Rewind two years, who would have thought we'd be looking at adding a third superstar to Dwight Howard and a fully blossomed James Harden - and be in a decent position to do so?

Interesting times, folks. And just think about how Morey did it. The man is a genius. Even if Melo doesn't play out, we still have several valid pathways to either get a third star or add the supporting talent we need to get to the next - top - level.

Interesting times indeed. Carry on.

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I don't see Harden as a starter playing next to Carmelo. Very much would be a failed experiment with Harden's current inflated ego far bigger than 6th man Harden in OKC.

12. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

So Melo would join a gutted Bulls team that features only Joakim Noah, Jimmy Butler and a broken down Derrick Rose who hasn't played in 2 years. Oh, and there's a 34-yr old Mike Dunleavy too. The rest of the team would have to be minimum wage vets.

You know, that roster looks eerily similar to the Knicks team Melo just left. With Joakim Noah (2013 defensive POY) instead of Tyson Chandler (2011 defensive POY), and a broken down D-Rose instead of a broken down Amare. He'll even have Jimmy Butler doing an Iman Shumpert impersonation. Do you really think that particular roster is a threat to lure Melo?

Houston is waaay more attractive to Melo. If the Rockets unload Asik, Lin, and D-Mo's contracts they should be able to offer Melo a $19.4M salary. Harden, Dwight, Parsons, Beverley, and T.Jones form a much more attractive cast than Joakim Noah and a broken down DRose.

13. Oracle

Oracle Member

I still think Chris Bosh would give the Rockets more than Carmelo or LMA. No ego clashes, significant upgrade in the rebounding in both ends and Chris Bosh can hit the outside shot (even a 3PT). On top of that, Miami really needs a center, which they would get in Asik.

14. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I'd do this. But no Bosh and a aging-Wade means Lebron is probably out of there. Which also means they no longer need Asik. If only Wade was 80% of what he used to be...

But yeah, it'll probably cost us Asik + Jones for this scenario.

15. afk

afk Member

Bottom-line is that if there is a chance, Morey will do whatever it takes to get Melo to Houston. It may mean "bye bye" to the rest of the roster. But who cares about them? Harden, Melo, and Howard as the Big Three... Suns fans say their future looks bright? Our future is a supernova!

16. Oracle

Oracle Member

That's true, but I think the Heat will fall apart anyway because all three agreed to submax deals just for the sake of championship(s). They are not likely to do that again.

The heat constellation will change drastically. I think they will try to build on LBJ and find the suitable cast around him. Bosh is the odd man out as they are unlikely to dump Wade and, do to his health problems, Wade is likely to settle for less money.

17. Oracle

Oracle Member

Melo is Melo, hard to argue about that. However, I don't see this trio as ultimate solution. There would be two obsessive scorers and that leaves Dwight playing only defense. I don't think he would be too thrilled about that. I have hard time to find the chemistry in this constellation.

That brings me back to my Chris Bosh suggestion. He is much more versatile than Melo and he can do it all. He's a good rebounder and can shoot the ball very effectively (not a volume shooter like Melo). He is a great shooter for a big man also from the 3PT range. His shooting efficiency is much better than Melo's.

18. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

I want LOVE, and I think we will get LOVE (or LMA). Melo would be nice, but i doubt he is coming to Houston...kinda my 3rd option

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

No way Portland trades LMA. Love is probably going to Lakers IMO.

20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Melo must give serious consideration to a great player who has shown a history of severe injuries. Love D-Rose, but if he can't stay healthy, then he becomes a real liability to any franchise due to his enormous cap eating salary. Objectively, Houston is a much better place for Melo.