1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYPost article on Glenn(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by xiki, Dec 3, 2004.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://web1.nypost.com/sports/jets/35576.htm

HOMECOMING KING

By MARK CANNIZZARO
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TAKE YOUR PICK:Texans' Aaron Glenn, with four interceptions this season, is hoping to square off against healthy Chad Pennington and Jets Sunday.

December 3, 2004 -- There'll be several good old reunions inside Giants Stadium Sunday when the Houston Texans come north in an attempt to try stunting the Jets' burgeoning playoff run.
    Texans starting cornerback Aaron Glenn will not only be facing his former Jets' teammates, but his younger bother of seven years, Jason, will be on the opposite sideline. Jason Glenn, a Jets' backup linebacker who's recovering from a broken arm, unfortunately will not be in uniform, The Post learned yesterday.

This will mark the second time the Glenn brothers, who overlapped with the Jets together for a short time before Aaron was shipped off in the 2002 expansion draft, will have played against each other. The first time the Jets and Texans faced each other, Jason played but Aaron, nursing an injury, didn't.

Nevertheless, it'll be a thrill for their family, many of whom are making the trip from Houston to the Meadowlands, where Aaron will play as a visitor for the first time after playing for eight seasons with the Jets.

Aaron Glenn, who made the Pro Bowl in 2002 and has four interceptions this season, joked about his help in developing Chad Pennington, who's expected to start at quarterback for the Jets as long as he doesn't suffer a setback from practicing this week.

"I broke Chad in," Glenn quipped. "I used to pick him off all the time. They used to tell Chad when he could complete a pass against me, he was ready to be a starting quarterback. To see him flourish the way he's flourished, it's great. I was the one picking off his passes while he was on the scout team. So, when he did complete a pass on me, at that point I thought the guy was going to be OK."

Told yesterday of Glenn's prodding, Pennington smiled and said, "Those cornerbacks have short-term memories."

Asked if he recalled throwing a few picks to Glenn in practices, Pennington said, "Not a lot, but a few.

"He's been a great corner for a long time. You always have to know where he is on field. He's the sneaky type. You've got to make sure he doesn't cross you up."

There was a time while he was at Texas A&M when Glenn made sure his younger brother Jason stayed on the right course.

"I was like, 11, and I was heading down the wrong path," Jason recalled this week. "Aaron came home from A&M to talk to me and I wasn't listening so he took it further. We got into it a little."

Jason called the quick, but effective skirmish "a one-hitter quitter" delivered by his older brother.

The incident saved Jason, set him straight and allowed his steps not only to A&M but to the NFL and the Jets.

Regarding his first visit to Giants Stadium, Aaron sounded somewhat melancholy.

"I'm not sure how I'm going to feel," he said. "Once I get on that field, I know I'm going to be a little emotional. That's where my start was. They gave me my opportunity. I will always have a special place in my heart for New York. That was the place I started my career."

Aaron was also moved by being voted onto the Jets' All Four Decades Team announced last year.

"It just shows the appreciation those guys (the fans) had for me when I was playing there," he said. "That's why I said I know it's going to be emotional for me when I do step on that field, because I know those are the guys that really got me going and playing as well as I have played down there. It's tough when you leave in a situation like that. New York was always great to me. The fans were great, the city was great."