1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Times: Rockets preparing to offer Martin and Knicks draft picks for Carmelo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Sep 21, 2010.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's not that simple. Martin makes $11.1m while Brooks only makes $2.0m. We're trying to get to $17.1m. Since Denver doesn't have to accept albatross contracts, which talent(s) making $9m do you want to throw in with Brooks so that you can keep Martin?

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Plus, Denver would want more than just Martin and pics. Not happening. Hopefully. :confused:

3. abcd1234

abcd1234 Contributing Member

i disagree

As much as I like Martin, i would trade him if it brings a top 10 player in Melo. this league runs on stars, they get the calls, they get the national tv games.

We got Lee here for a reason, we need him to play defense, and not score a lot.

Brooks (Can Score)
    Lee (Can Defend)
    Melo (Can Score)
    Scola (Can Score)
    Yao (Can Score/Defend)

That would be a really really nice starting line up.

4. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Chauncey Billups did that.

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Like I said last night, this feels weird. I just don't see Morey giving up Martin, just doesn't feel right. Hey if he has to go then go for it but I would have thought AB, Bud and Hill would have been shopped before Martin. I guess the Nuggets really want Martin to make it happen.

6. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

7. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

w/ a handicapped yao, that smart doctor pretty much shuts down the door to any elite player.

8. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Sure, never let the facts get in the way of a good storu.

9. abcd1234

abcd1234 Contributing Member

Lets look at it this way, would you have done a Carl Landry + Tmac for Carmelo Anthony last year?

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm glad to know that Morey doesn't really want Melo and is only "driving up the price" (lol!)

I'm glad DD has told me that so now I don't have to follow the news.

Anyone, why should they trade for Melo? DD already told me that this is a team that can win the title this year even though they aren't built for this year but are built for next year. :(

2 people like this.
  11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

when martin is the best player on his team, his team sucks. when melo is the best player on his team, they go to the playoffs. that's why one gets paid 20 mil, the other 10.

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

um....u should get cable

13. H-Rockets

H-Rockets Member

but that wasnt an option last year...now its martin+(?) for carmelo and i really dont see that happening for some reason. One of Morey's goals was to get Martin here....

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

15. BrentStl

BrentStl Member

I say this is all 'Melo (read "his people") posturing for some contrived, emotional: "I can't do this, I'm just too loyal. I love you Denver, it's always been you. Look at me America, I'm who you thought LeBron was!"

I'm one of the biggest Morey believers, but this trade ain't happening. Carmelo is posturing. I don't think he's terribly smart, but I'm sure his agent is...

Think about this from a business stand point. Houston is the best team to drive the price up because we can offer a player with almost similar production (Martin), draft picks, and/or young talent. We're a great team to get a detailed offer leaked to keep the bidding up. BUT, Carmelo's only leaving if it's some bogus deal like NY or "Brooklyn" ... and even then, ONLY if they airbrush 1000 foot murals of him in Queensbridge. Dude wants to be an icon.

'Melo puts up great numbers, but can be ho-hum to watch. Not exactly personable either (see "Stop Snitchin'" video). But LeBron (and LeWade) have kind of tainted their fame by annoying the hell out of the nation. If you were his agent/manager, wouldn't you see a major opportunity to steal LeBron's annoyed former fans?

PS: I'm depressed that spell-checker thinks that "Carmelo" is a correct spelling of something.

1 person likes this.
  16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If the Nuggets trade Melo, they are rebuilding. The next player out the gates will be Chauncey.

Brooks is an asset that Denver would consider. He's young and proven.

If we took Billups and J.R. off their hands along with Melo, and gave them Brooks, Hill, and Budinger, along with expirings/non-guaranteed contracts, and one of the Knicks picks, then they probably aren't going to be able to do much better.

This would also leave us with one Knicks pick, Billups expiring and Smith's expiring to leverage a deal with New Orleans if Paul wanted out at the trade deadline. Throw in Lowry or Scola along with Billups and Smith and the other Knicks pick plus a future Rox first rounder and you may be able to get Paul and Okafor.

All of that without Kevin Martin.

I just don't believe that Morey is going to give up Martin.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Doesn't Martin equal Melo(career wise not last season)? I mean as far as scoring goes? Neither plays defense so this would almost be a lateral trade just like the Bosh and Scola incident, only different positions are involved.
    Not worth it. Not happening. He will find a way to get to NY.

By the way, Martin is our superstar. You all just don't know it yet because you only got to see him in 20 something games. :rolleyes: :eek:

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the doctors report really isnt that much of an issue for melo, who would full well believe he could carry the team to a top 2 or 3 seeding.

He if anything would be more inclined if it seems they're guaranteed to have him ready for the playoffs instead where for someone like melo, the real game begins.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that's priceless.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Martin is NOT a superstar, Melo is. There is a reason Martin has been rotting away in Sacramento while Melo has made the playoffs every year in his career. Martin is a fine player, but nowhere close to Melo. Not to mention Melo plays substantially better defense.