1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Times: Rockets preparing to offer Martin and Knicks draft picks for Carmelo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

It would make more sense to offer someone at the three or the 4 then at the 2... Denver is going to have to fill the void that Melo will leave.

Trade Battier, Bud and whatever else to get Melo.. We have no one at the 2 that can take Martin's spot either

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I would rather trade Brooks but sometimes you have to give to get.

3. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I mean id love to get martin and melo too...but if the only way you get melo over the nets and bulls and knicks is by trading martin...

then you do it...its still an upgrade. Lee and Melo is way better than martin and battier. If we do this deal keep bud as the back up sg/sf WITH BATTIER ...we have a pretty insane team.

Plus if we get melo...dampier signs...hopefully hill or patt emerge as a legit PF....we would be one of the best starting 5 with the best bench and the highest upside for the future of any western conference team.

Honestly id rather give martin than budinger and his 400k contract. Bud could sprout into being as good as martin at a much cheaper rate.

4. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I'm all for keeping Martin, I love his game. Plus, I think Denver is gonna be asking way too much. Because of that, I think that if a trade with Denver is gonna be made only by trading out Martin, draft picks, Hill or PatPat, and maybe Battier.

As much as I would want Melo on this team, I just don't see it happening. DD may have something here.

5. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

give to get its as simple as that.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Okay so we would get him for one year and then he signs with NY or NJ, with us giving up high picks and good players. See nothin good bout that.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you don't do the deal unless you know he'll commit to a long-term deal.

8. RocketEG6

RocketEG6 Member

+1

Lee/Budinger
    Melo/Battier

better than

Martin (injury prone)/Lee
    Battier/Budinger

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Lee is a good role player, but Martin is an All-Star caliber shooting guard. Even though Morey loves Lee's intangibles, its more of in a role player type of way. You might be right that he did pick him up to help out the 2 guard spot if they had to move Martin, but there is no way Lee "replaces" anything that Martin does offensively. If anything they complement each others strengths and weaknesses. Martin is anything but expendible.

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Dude stop. Please just stop. Martin isn't better than you defensively.*

Howard is a more efficient scorer than Yao. Doesn't mean he is a better offensive player. Martin isn't the offensive force that Melo is. You take your efficient borderline All-Star. I'll take the perennial all league player.*

1 person likes this.
  11. Raven

Raven Member

Obviously, but I still think he's heading to the Nets.

Still, Martin, 2 picks, and one of our youngsters for a 26 year old top ten player. Yeah, I'd do that.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

True dat, don´t think he will. Plus you never know if he´s still happy in one year, so there could be possible trouble.

13. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

Please don't. Carmelo's got mediocre TS and sub-par rebounding, and his attitude and defense prowess are not exactly legendary. Plus he's going to cost around 20 million a year. It's not worth losing the super-efficient Martin and the Knicks picks, which have a chance to turn into real impact players. No thanks, Melo.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm not suggesting Lee is better than Martin. only that he's a legit starter, so it's not as if we have nothing in the cupboard at that position...

IF you have a chance to make your team better by trading Martin for a player like Anthony.

As much as we all enjoy watching this team play....the NBA is a superstar's league. Aside from a few examples we can all spout off, it's always been that way. We don't have great right now. We have really good. Anthony is a potential MVP player. He's among the top 10 players in this league. I don't see Martin ever falling in that ilk. You don't let Kevin Martin keep you from Carmelo Anthony.

15. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Martin is a better perimeter shooter, is more efficient, and doesn't need the ball in his hands as much as Anthony. These things are all abundantly clear. Problem is, for those very reasons, Martin's game is tailored to playing off of another offensive star such as Yao. Given the big man's limited playing time, a guy like Anthony, who can shoulder the primary scoring load, could be more impactful regardless of his lower efficiency. I'd be much more comfortable if I need a basket down the stretch and I have the ball in Anthony's hands rather than Martin's.

Sometimes a shotgun is better than a rifle with a laser-sight.

That's not even to say that I'm on board with the use of Martin to acquire Anthony. I'm just saying, it's not all about efficiency, and it's certainly not all about salary. Superstars make a lot of money, and that's just how it goes.

16. RyanB

RyanB Member

no way
    Martin is staying here
    and Melo will chose NY

17. RyanB

RyanB Member

Martin is a Rocket
    don't touch him :grin:

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

3rd team please!!!.... trade Brooks to a third team and move expiring contracts and draft picks. Maybe Kahn and the T-Wolves are Morey's ace in the hole here that he can victimize and get them to send Kevin Love to the Nuggets for Brooks/Jefferies/ and picks. Of course there is much more that would have to happen but just saying, we should try everything to involve a third team. Kahn loves him some point guards.

19. lionaire

lionaire Member

As much as I hate the idea of giving up K-Mart, honestly acquiring Melo for him and a few draft picks would be a STEAL! Imagine a starting 5 of Brooks, Lee, Melo, Scola, and Yao...omg.

20. Classic

Classic Member

I can handle Melo for Martin and we could start Lee at SG.

Yao/Miller/Hayes/Hill
    Scola/Jefferies/PP
    Melo/Bud
    Lee/Battier/JT
    AB/Lowry

Sorry but that's a squad.