1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Times: Lin Does a Lot by Not Doing Too Much

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Fair and balanced comments.

1 person likes this.
  2. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

I know someone who was an excellent basketball player in his youth and really knows the game. For some reason though he doesn't like LeBron and as a result doesn't think he's that great. I think that's the problem that McHale (and a lot of anti-Lin posters) have with Jeremy. Not comparing Jeremy (or anybody) to LeBron - just the same syndrome. If you don't like someone you won't give them credit for anything.

3. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Totally agreed.

4. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Does this person know Lebron?

5. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

I have been trying to be as impartial as I can as a member of this forum.

The LOFs didn't get upset BECAUSE, as you said, Lin "had 13 pt 8 ast and 4 reb wen it still helps the team."

They got upset because when Lin had 13 pt 8 ast and 4 reb wen it still helps the team, Lin still got pounded on for all kinds of undue and unfair reasons.

6. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Do you know Lin?

7. Stash Musial

Stash Musial Member

i dont have a problem with Lin. Im not a Lin hater. I like his game. My problem is with people saying Lin > Irving on this team or any other team. It's asinine.

8. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

You made an argument that Mchale's attitude to Lin is similar to your friend who doesn't apparently even know Lebron.

Whether or not I know Jeremy Lin is of no consequence. I think I've had enough of you, Kyrie. I've enjoyed our little chat.

9. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Right on. As a Lin fan I've accepted that his stats will not be "Linsanity" stats because of the team and system he's playing under. I'm sure he's accepted it as well as he is very team oriented and focused on winning. I just get tired of all the crap about turnovers, poor shooting, etc. when others are as guilty or more so of the same offences. Just try to give ANY criticism of Harden or Parsons on this forum and see the grief you get.

10. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

I'm not sayin Lin > Irving at all. Just saying that Lin and Harden are better together than Harden and Irving because of chemistry. Huge difference.

11. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

I might have misread your comment but Irving and Harden together on the same team would be a problem. Who would defer to who? I think one of the two would ask to be traded.

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Tired about the crap about turnovers?

Highest turnover% in the league:

1- Omer asik 19.6%
    2- joakim Noah 19.5%
    3- Jeremy Lin 19.5%

26- James harden 14.6%
    37- Chandler parsons 13.6%

When you are 3rd in the entire league it's legit criticism, not crap.

13. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Everybody knows LeBron. You don't have to know someone personally to dislike him. Your question made no sense to me - hence the reply.

14. Stash Musial

Stash Musial Member

The Heat have worked it out. The Thunder have worked it out. The big 3 celtics worked it out. The Spurs with and without David Robinson worked it out. The 95 Rockets worked it out. Your argument is pure conjecture. Without sound reason.

Your comment about your friend disliking LBJ and therefore saying he wasnt great is what makes no sense.

1 person likes this.
  15. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

That turnover% stat was proved to be meaningless in another thread. Check it out and see that Delfino has a better % than Lin or Harden. We all know Delfino is not a better ballhandler than either. Apparently the stat is calculated by including shot attempts or something bizarre like that. Assists to turnover ratio is a much better indicator as to who is turnover prone.

16. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

And the lakers worked it out? Maybe they would and maybe they wouldn't. It's not a done deal is all I'm saying and it takes a lot of time.

You're telling me that if someone doesn't like someone else it doesn't influence their judgement of that person? What world have you been living in?

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

It's not meaningless at all. I can see why an ardent Lin supporter would find it useless, but there is nothing meaningless about it.

The stat doesn't claim that Delfino is a better ball handler. He is primarily a catch and shoot guy, his turnover% should be lower than the guys who do more ball handling, but there is no way you can twist the fact that Lin turns the ball over on a relatively high % of his plays.

18. Stash Musial

Stash Musial Member

Holy hell. You really know how to convolute an argument. I dont even know what your second response means. Your friend 'who really knows basketball' dislikes LBJ. Since he doesnt like LBJ, he doesnt think LBJ is great. I responded by saying your friend is a moron. Allowing his dislike for LBJ to cloud his assessment of LBJ as a basketball talent is stupid.

Back to the Irving/Lin argument. You said Irving would be bad on this team compared to Lin. And despite me pointing out that Irvings usage rate and assist rate is comparable with Lins AND the fact that hes a better shooter, better scorer and younger, your only reply is that it wouldnt work bc YOU THINK chemistry would be an issue. You've made no actual argument supporting Lin being better on this team.

19. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

This is the formula for turnover%:

- Multiply free throws attempted by 0.44. Add to that number the total number of field goal attempts.

- Take the number from the previous step and add the number of turnovers and the number of assists. The resulting number is known as the total number of possessions.

- Multiply the number of turnovers by 100. Then take the resulting number, and divide it by the total number of possession. This final number is the turnover ratio. Round the number to the nearest tenth of a percentage point.

So the more you shoot free throws and field goals the better your turnover% can be. So someone like Lin who shoots very little will look like he's turnover prone by this stat. It isn't bias - just fact.

20. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

EXACTLY what I've been saying. And letting dislike of Lin cloud assessment of his basketball talent is stupid also.

Irving and Harden are both ball dominant and both shoot a LOT more than Lin. Something would have to change if Harden and Irving were paired together. Don't you agree? Anyhow it's just my opinion - maybe I'm wrong and maybe your'e wrong. No need to get angry about it.