1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(NY Times) Daryl Morey Built an Elite N.B.A. Team. Now He’s Building a Musical

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Oct 3, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

April 12 - May 13th is hopefully a really busy time for the current Rockets players...and JVG for that matter. btw: looks like you have tix for three shows prior to April 12th. what's the actual opening weekend: the 12th on the schedule or 6th on the ticket purchase page?

What would be cool is if you could convince Morey to invite Mutombo, Yao or Zhou Qi to make it to Small Ball. lulz

My dream would be to make it to the tail end of Small Ball, to catch all three Mickel plays in mid-may, plus Game 7 against OKC in the 2nd round and then on to the WCF, which would start around May 15th....'er more like May 20th for the Toyota Center games 3 and 4.

You really make it hard on yourself being a Rox fan and directing plays during playoff season...but great for us out-of-towners.

Btw: one question about Small Ball. If the Lilliputians don't know the number "5", then how can they be 6" tall. That would make them 5" tall...but then they can't be 5"s tall?

#41 heypartner, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    djperm and Batman Jones like this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Insider status confirmed

3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I didn't see anything about when it was premiering, do you know? NVM looks like April 12 it starts?

#43 Kevooooo, Oct 6, 2017
  4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

They are 5 inches tall to us, but to them, 5 inches is 6 inches. 1, 2, 3, 4, 6. That's 6 numbers to them too, because the number 5 doesn't exist. In fact, they're confused as to why this weird looking "S" keeps being mentioned...:D

Batman Jones likes this.
  5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'm not sure where April 12 came from. Maybe it was my mistake. The play opens on Friday, April 6 and runs through Sunday, May 13.

And yes I hope the team is way too busy then to attend. Great idea about past Rockets. Will see who Daryl wants to invite.

I'd absolutely love it if you were to come early in the run and then again for the final weekend when we'll have two more of Mickle Maher's plays running. One is THE STRANGERER, which we first produced in 2007, a weird-as-hell, hilarious mash-up of the first debate between Bush/Kerry, moderated by Jim Lehrer and Albert Camus' existential classic The Stranger. The second is the spiritual sequel of The Strangerer. It's called JIM LEHRER AND THE THEATER AND ITS DOUBLE AND JIM LEHRER'S DOUBLE. The characters are Jim Lehrer and Jim Lehrer. Mickle is a master of the "Theatre of the Absurd" and nobody writes funnier or juicier plays. So that one weekend when we have all three on will be a great weekend of theatre.

Re: "5," we've said all we're going to say about that. It was a spoiler we almost didn't spoil at all. How it plays out is too wonderful and surprising to spoil here. All will be revealed.

Thanks for the post. It was really cool to appear in the sports section of the New York Times. It's pretty much equally cool to me that one of my plays should be in the GARM and not be moved to another forum. I'd have posted the article/announcement in the Hangout but I'm so pleased it's in the GARM instead. :)

djperm and heypartner like this.
  6. Batman Jones

Friday, April 6 is opening night. Sorry for the confusion.

Kevooooo likes this.
  7. Batman Jones

Thanks but as I've said several times I'm not an insider and I don't want to be one. I'm just a friend and collaborator. I don't even want to know inside info directly from Daryl. It would just be a secret I'd have to keep and I would keep it. I enjoy learning the news along with the rest of you. Not that I don't ask Daryl questions or tease him by asking for inside info in silly ways, but he knows I'm not actually asking him to tell me anything, only teasing him.

Deckard and FLASH21 like this.
  8. Batman Jones

If you listen to "New World," one of the demo/home recordings of songs from the show, two of which are in the NYT online article, you'll hear those same numbers in the background singing. So you're not too far off. :)

9. Batman Jones

Here's a nifty little spoiler about THE STRANGERER. There are three characters: George W. Bush, John Kerry, and Jim Lehrer. George W. Bush turns out to be the existential hero of the play. Click here for more on this play including reviews and photos...

http://catastrophictheatre.com/shows/strangerer-2008

10. Progs

Progs Member

My Cousin and his boyfriend will love this.

Deckard and Batman Jones like this.
  11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

K o_O

12. heypartner

Batman Jones likes this.
  13. Batman Jones

#53 Batman Jones, Oct 6, 2017
  14. heypartner

It now says Apr 6th to May 12th (not 13th) :(

15. Batman Jones

Yes, that's correct. We won't have a Sunday show of Small Ball that weekend because there's another group using the same theater two days later so we'll need to strike our set on Sunday. If you're here the final weekend of Small Ball though (there will be performances of SB Thurs-Sat that week), you'll be able to see all three Maher plays in the same weekend.

djperm and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Insider status confirmed :D

Batman Jones likes this.
  17. Batman Jones

Hahahahaha!

topfive likes this.
  18. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I've been thinking lately just how much absurdist art and comedy have helped me deal with the current "facts are fake" era of American history. Everything is so ****ing depressing, it feels good to openly acknowledge that.

Mickle is so talented, can't wait to see what he does with this. Hope you and the missus have been well, BJ.

Deckard and Batman Jones like this.
  19. heypartner

Get your tickets

djperm and Batman Jones like this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

good for morey

djperm likes this.