1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Times] China Fans Ask, Will Yao Ming's Baby Be American?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by devilsdandruff, Mar 3, 2010.

1. devilsdandruff

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/03/03/sports/AP-BKN-Yao-Baby.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

guess she can play for the U.S.

2. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

It will be Caublanasian.

3. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

How about worry about 18 years later when the girl can make her own choice, if she will be born in US.

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Countdown to D&D...

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is a private matter for Yao and his wife.

Some of the Chinese fans need to mind their own stinking business.

DD

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

This.

I'm pretty certain even the Chinese government won't do something as stupid as forcing Yao's wife to give birth in China.

7. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

She is due in the summer, it takes a day to fly back to China. I would look into who her primary ob/gyn physicians are to see where the baby might be born. However, I highly doubt the baby will be born in America during the off season.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Chinese fans online have said that would be a betrayal of China
    _____

LMAO

:grin:

9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Make her own choice? What part of a communist society are you missing esp as it pertains to their athletes?

That said, all countries allow you to claim citizenship if parents are citizens. Ireland lets you claim citizenship if a grandparent was Irish. I don't think China has anything to worry about. As soon as Yao retires, I bet he moves back to China and baby Yao can be put right into the athletics program.

10. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

Typically you dont fly in your 3rd Trimester, but on a side note...

Who
    Gives
    A
    Damn

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Wow, so the baby isn't even BORN yet and these "online" Chinese peeps want her to be a basketball player. What happens when she turns out to be some kinda crazy genius scientist who'll have the potential to cure all sorts of incurable diseases today?

I don't mean to be sexist, but female basketball competitions don't really mean much compared to men's competition anyways, right?

If they want to force her into sports, maybe figure skating or tennis would be a better choice. Or if she's hot... well... nvm.

Oh well, I'm sure these "online" Chinese fans aren't past the high school level anyways. Move along.

12. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

Ronny faints

13. van chief

van chief Member

If she is born in the USA she will have dual citizenship, its not like the Chinese will refute / refuse her Chinese citizenship.

14. cdastros

cdastros Member

Is Yao restricted to how many kids he can have? It seems like if he would have his baby's born in the U.S., he wouldn't fall under those restrictions.

15. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

Exactly. How about mind your own business? lol

16. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

That's like saying the media should leave Tiger alone. Never gonna happen. Ever. When you're a national icon in China like Yao is, your business is China's business... and unfortunately, your child is China's child as far as they're concerned.

I'd be surprised if their kid is born American, though. Yao is such a huge thing in China and I think there's a lot of pride for his country there, too.

17. acefan18

acefan18 Member

The baby is a girl why is China up in arms about this? They consider women useless. :confused:

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Chinese law does not permit dual citizenship. Period.

If they're born in the US, Yao can have as many kids as he wants. Born in China, there is technically a restriction. But special people like Yao gets exemptions. How many he can have is uncertain, but it's > 1.

It has nothing to do with her being a potential basketball player. But more along the lines of the Chinese government spending money and effort developing Yao and Ye Li. So them having kids in America could be construed as them immigrating to the US. I won't go into details or this could be D&D material real quick.

Basically, it's more about nationalism in the psyche of Chinese people than anything else.

19. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

More Chinese smearing

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The PRC could set up a delivery room in the consulate in Houston and then have Ye give birth there since the consulate is PRC territory. ;)