1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Times] Cardinals under FBI investigation for hacking Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jun 16, 2015.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

I never insinuated guilt or culpability on the part of Luhnow. I insinuated stupidity, or at least carelessness. Big difference.

Using "Eckstein123" as a password looks to have been negligent on Luhnow's part. Reports indicated that this was an old password. Surely, there are enough facts to raises some issues re: carelessness.

If I have a contentious and bad breakup with a roommate, I'm not "kind of" locking my new door, nor am I using the same or substantially similar key to lock that door. Especially when he wants to live in my house because no one wants to live with Cardinals fans.

#501 awc713, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. Buck Turgidson

3. msn

msn Member

No, but you're not getting any insurance money either. :p

4. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looks like he got in using Sig Mejdal's credentials, not Luhnow's.

[​IMG]
    C'mon, Sig. Password security, it isn't rocket science!! :p

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

But if they catch the theif, you get your stuff back and you can sue for damages.

msn likes this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not true....

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If the Astros didn't hack anything, then wouldn't it be better for them to come out and say it versus just no comment?

I'm left wondering if there is any truth to that or this guy is just an a-hole.

8. Nook

Nook Member

The general feeling I get from this is that the commissioner has told the parties to not say much about the whole ordeal and to move on. Further, this whole thing made the Astros look incompetent and caused the Astros to apologize to every other team in baseball other than the Cardinals. The Astros poor security caused there to be leaked confidential communications between the Astros and other teams, involving players that are still with their original team.

The Astros got a decent return (2nd and 3rd rounder) and the Cards now have to wait until the 4th round to draft a player in 2017; and as Astros fans know, when you gut most of a draft class, it comes back to bite you.... the Cardinals are going to likely feel the effects for a number of years.

9. raining threes

Fowler will take the sting out of the punishment for the Cards. They signed him because if they didn't they would've lost their 1st rd pick anyway. IMHO

A statement would've been to take 1st rd picks for the next 5 yrs. A 2nd/3rd rd pick plus 2 mil fine is pocket change for the Cards org. This isn't even really about the Stros for me, this is about laying down a punishment that makes sure to let everybody in MLB that if you do this your org is basically getting the death penalty. That way stuff like this would be less likely to happen. This penalty almost assures hacking will happen again. Why? Because Manfred/DeWitt are tight. I just hope the next team that gets hacked isn't the Stros. (Again)

#509 raining threes, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    sugrlndkid likes this.
  10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It isn't that the Astros hacked the Cardinals, but rather Correa saying they took proprietary data with them. At least that is how I remember it.

Anyways, Luhnow and some members of the staff have specifically come out multiple times and denied they took any proprietary data from the Cardinals.

11. juicystream

I think they signed him because he was a good fit for the team and that they got him from their division rival who had pilfered away Lackey and Heyward a year ago.

12. juicystream

The Cardinals will feel it, but 2007 was only part of the problem. The best player we got from 2005-2007 was Bud Norris. Brandon Barnes & Brian Bogusevic were are couple of the successful picks. I don't think we signed anyone during that period that was ever a top 100 prospect. That is rough.

13. raining threes

Maybe,

But signing Fowler meant they didn't have a 1st rd pick to give up.

The Cards org isn't known for signing FA's and givingup 1st rd picks.

You should google it.

texans1095 likes this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I understand your sentiment and agree with the underwhelming part. I disagree that the league is handcuffed in the future though. In fact, I am betting if/when this type of thing happens again, the next perpetrator will get slammed considerably harder. The small details in any case will always be different, giving the league room to do whatever they want without fear of breaching precedent.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bogusevic was considered a success?

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

2011 was pretty good. Other than that - no.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But people forget he was drafted high to be a pitcher.

His hitting by itself wouldn't have kept him as an early round pick.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I recall people mentioning hitting was a backup for him just after the draft if pitching disn't work out. As such, he may have still been an early round pick.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Doubtful.... he didn't have a single AB his first 3 years in the minors.

He was drafted to be a front-line lefty starter.... and he failed miserably. Him picking up a bat was a last resort option.

20. juicystream

Comparatively. It was a bad run of drafts.

In terms of rWAR across 2005-2007:
    Norris: 4.5
    Boguesevic: 2.1
    Barnes: 1.4
    Chris Johnson: -1.2
    Manzella: -1.4