1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Times] Cardinals under FBI investigation for hacking Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jun 16, 2015.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

This.... is shocking....

Surely has to stem from the Ground Control leak last year.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: FBI investigating St. Louis Cardinals for hacking Astros. <a href="https://twitter.com/NYTSports">@NYTSports</a> exclusive. <a href="http://t.co/qlmQmhRq2j">http://t.co/qlmQmhRq2j</a></p>&mdash; NYT Sports (@NYTSports) <a href="https://twitter.com/NYTSports/status/610825951782563840">June 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Investigators have uncovered evidence that Cardinals officials broke into a network of the Houston Astros that housed special databases the team had built, according to law enforcement officials. Internal discussions about trades, proprietary statistics and scouting reports were compromised, the officials said.

The attack represents the first known case of corporate espionage in which a professional sports team has hacked the network of another team. Illegal intrusions into companies’ networks have become commonplace, but it is generally conducted by hackers operating in foreign countries, like Russia and China, who steal large tranches of data or trade secrets for military equipment and electronics.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If allegations are true, I demand Matt Carpenter as tribute.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wow... I hope the media drags the "respected" Cardinals name in the mud for these allegations.

You know if the roles were reversed, people would be all over the Astros, including their own beat writers.

4. the shark

the shark Member

Will be interesting to see how this plays out, and if true :eek:

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This. A million times this.

The Astros deserve a ton of apologies from a ton of hacks. Pun intended.

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This is a huge deal. Like bigger than anything the NFL has dealt with over the last year (when talking about civil cases).

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Cardinals? Best team in baseball? Best run team in baseball? Hacking? No way. Maybe just a bitter employee (or three).

Hey, might want to change your passwords! :)

#7 J.R., Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This should be a pretty open/shut case provided they don't f up the evidence.

And I hope Mansfred is pretty hard on the Cardinals... as he should be.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I demand we be comped their 1st round pick for emotional damage.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Dan Patrick Show is about to dig into it with the NYT writer that broke the story.

11. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

The Cardinal Way.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Jeesh Lunhow, ever change your passwords?

13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

This is crazy and unlike anything I've seen and heard. But what all can they actually do besides take draft picks and fine them? Im sure it would be topopo picks and heavy fines but is that really enough?

Could something unprecedented happen like a post season ban for a year or more? (Or has that happened before?)

I'm really interested in what's going to happen here.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They should be penalized like I've never seen before in sports... but at the same time... this happens in big business all the time.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

MLB statement
    "Major League Baseball has been aware of and has fully cooperated with the federal investigation into the illegal breach of the Astros’ baseball operations database. Once the investigative process has been completed by federal law enforcement officials, we will evaluate the next steps and will make decisions promptly.”​

16. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

The details read like a jealous ex-GF messing with her ex-BF's new girlfriend.

17. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

1st Page. I hope the Cardinals are forced to directly compensate the Astros for this. I mean, unfortunately the nature of this kind of information is that it can't be "given back" and/or "undone".

Once they know our mechanisms for scouting and how we track data, it can and will be duplicated, despite being caught.

That's a major breach of IP.

18. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hacking is the ultimate form of flattery.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hack-A-Astros?

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

NBA & NFL would levy fines and take draft picks. I wonder if we will see the same here. I definitely expect a 7 figure fine minimum.