1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY TIMES] A Truckload of Nike Shoes, Left as ‘Bait,’ Stings Chicago

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 25, 2018.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

yup.

ExampleN: Nigerian immigrants have lower crime rate than the average native born citizen .

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Those are all very sensible questions.

biff17 likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Reminds me a bit of one of the classic Argentine political tactics: candidate's supporters show up in the slums, start handing out left-footed shoes to everyone, say "if our candidate wins, we'll give you the other one."

mdrowe00 likes this.
  4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Eh, not really. Everyone knows the purpose of bait. He's just trying to change the argument.

It's pretty ridiculous that they let the criminals go without prosecuting them. Who cares if using Nike shoes was tone deaf? And yes, I agree it was tone deaf. The criminals still broke into someone's property and stole it. Would using any other items like electronics caused less outrage? This doesn't set a good precedent that PC culture should affect prosecution.

jcf likes this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It doesn't sound like they knew. Personally, I don't really care what was used as "bait". Something of value was used as bait.

6. Buck Turgidson

Nook and mdrowe00 like this.
  7. Senator

Senator Member

But you said the stats don't lie... and the stats show us a disproportionate amount of African American's commit violent crimes compared to the poor of other races... since that was your argument. You've just highlighted your hypocrisy, or willful negligence.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That's a part of it, but homicide rates are significantly higher across all income demographics and across all urban and rural areas for American blacks versus American whites. This phenomenon of massively higher incarceration and violent crime rates almost disappears relative to American whites when you look at blacks who are immigrants versus American born blacks. Sure it's not an apples to apples comparison, but it is very interesting to note. This isn't a racial problem but, for me, there is clearly some kind of other major component that isn't simply economic among American blacks.

https://randomcriticalanalysis.word...cide-rates-are-poorly-explained-by-economics/

If you're bored and want to look thru a massive amount of data. It's pretty interesting to look at and this guy did a pretty in depth analysis. High single motherhood rates seem to be an exceptionally strong predictor of high murder rates and a significantly greater predictor of homicide rates over economic factors from his analysis.

Anyhow this is an aside to the topic at hand, but it's an interesting one to me since many other factors are often blamed.

durvasa likes this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are numerous studies that show when other variables are taken into account, the relationship to race becomes very weak. This study looks to be flawed in that they are using the median income within a community to define social economics. So they would say the top decile of a poor black neighborhood is being compared to the top decile of a middle class white neighborhood which naturally is a bit ridiculous.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Studies show that when income is factored in, racial difference in crime disappear.

11. Senator

Senator Member

It's a cultural issue. All you have to do is look at guys like Sweet Lou who couldn't care less about accountability and sip the "it's all the rich white man's fault" kool aid. A low IQ approach to living life regardless of socio economic standing. The stats posted on pg 4 show that there are twice as many poor whites as poor blacks, but the 12% of African Americans still commit more crimes than the 60% of whites. A culture of enabling and looking the other way by guys like Sweet Lou is a huge part of the problem.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That was a very small portion at the beginning of the link. That part that I think you are referencing is from the New York Fed not his study. He broke things down much more in depth later if you continue to skim thru it. He notes that single motherhood and family structure largely explains the difference with homicide rates and does a better job at estimating murder rates than economics.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Did you bother to read the study or even skim it?

14. Nook

Nook Member

The Chicago PD working in Englewood have better things to do than be involved in a sting involving stolen shoes. Putting the handful of thieves in jail, at tax payer expense is going to keep Englewood safer?

The cops should be worried about the murders, gang activity and armed robberies in that small part of the city.

jcf likes this.
  15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Found the culprits.

16. Senator

Senator Member

I posted a far more comprehensive one the page before. I long ago equated cultural issues such as lack of male figures and stability + no accountability to the problem, which was backed up in the link you posted.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Your link dealt with a different aspect of things. It was specifically for the patterns and trends within homicide and didn't deal with possible causation of homicide rates. It was a nice report to look at though.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Not disagreeing but the cops have a lot of issues with community cooperation in those areas too. Either out of fear of retaliation or out of lack of trust for the police. I think a suspect is charged in only 14% of murder cases up there.

19. Senator

Senator Member

I mistook this thread for another one where I posted similar links and the same posters came in with long bouts of denial. theyve drawn their line, dug their trench, and will defend it to the death regardless of facts. I feel their criminal negligence has more to do with low IQ than ignorance, as choosing to remain ignorant should not garner sympathy.

@fchowd0311 - Are you a proud enabler?
    @Sweet Lou 4 2 - Are these facts racist?

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Other commentors have said the sting was mostly run by the railroad police with some help from the Chicago PD. How much was the Chicago PD really involved? Regardless, it was causing enough losses and damages to the railroad to go through with the operation. Enforcing the law also works as a deterrent for future theft.

I don't agree with the PD dropping all charges. Those criminals should have this added to their records instead of getting a free pass.

jcf likes this.