1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Post: Yao Deal Hits Big Snag

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jun 24, 2002.

1. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

just calm down, everybody.

Because all the Chinese fans are blaming and cursing CBA and Sharks now, the step of Ming to NBA is unstoptable. Otherwise, CBA and Sharks will lose much more than now. Fans have appealed to boycott watching the games of Sharks and CBA and support Ming to withdraw National team and immigrate to USA if he is rejected to play at NBA this year. Then CBA and Sharks will get nothing from Ming.

All the Chinese media have begun to celebrate Ming's being #1 pick.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They do not want to lose face, and I think the Rockets should take him anyway, they will hold his rights forever, and that is worth a lot.

DaDakota

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh............

4. MVPCrawford

MVPCrawford Member

This is from the RealGM Bulls board:

The director of personnel for the Rockets was on ESPN Radio this morning and downplayed these reports. He said it looks "very good" that Ming will be wearing a Rockets hat on Wednesday night.

5. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

NJRocket-

The NY Post may not exactly be the Enquirer in the sense that it does not have stories about people being abducted by 3 headed monsters but you have to agree that the Post is not first rate journalism.

The headlines on the NY Post are truely distasteful. For example, when DK died, the headlines were "Dead in His Sleep." Also some family got killed by a fire and the front page of today's paper had the headlines "Wiped Out" with a picture of the family and the deceased members being pointed out by a circle on their heads.

What would happen if these headlines ran in any other newspaper? The editor would probably get shot. But since the Post caters to people who enjoy these types of headlines, the editors have to find a way to sensationalize the stories. So I wouldn't take the stories in the Post at face value. Thats all.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Thanks Windand sea... Sometimes I wonder if you are Yao

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree
    HE only 21. . . and if we don't get ming this year
    I don't see much else other getting

Rocket River

8. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

BubbaMac...

With all due respect, you are wrong.

By the way, could I get the link to the 3 headed monster story?

Do you really think Clutch would put so many links to the NY Post if it were such a crappy/BS paper?

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Interesting topic. <b>Would you take Yao even if he couldn't play this season?</b>

I'm sorry. I would have to say NO WAY!

10. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

If anything the Post resembles British Tabloid Newspapers. Perhaps b/c the paper is run by brits.

I hate the English.

11. Old Man Rock

Just for the Record the NY post is a tad but better than the Enquirer.. I think this may be old news...

Here's the latest from Chad Ford as of 8:45 am this morning.

The Skinny: We all got a little scare Friday when rumors began flying that Yao had hit a snag. It looks like the Rockets should be all set with Yao. They seem to have the blessing of both the Shanghai Sharks and the Chinese Basketball Association. Yao has worked out a buyout with the Sharks. All the Rockets are waiting on is FIBA approval. All signs still point to China.

I don't think I would pay much attention to Berman.

12. Old Man Rock

When I lived in New York the post was alway a tabloid type paper... the used to have the girl of the day which sold as many papers as anything

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Every good journalist will tell you that the NY Post is like the b*stard, hick cousin of the NY Times. A comparison to British tabloids is a pretty good one based on style and content.

Any paper in NYC is going to have impact but the Post is still about 2 steps below most regular dailies in America.

15. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Well the other day, the Post had this full page color photo of Halle Berry walking around in some tight clothes. So perhaps the Post does have some value. (insert smiley face).

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The New York Post huh. They sure know everything, they have had some rumor every week about Ming ever since we got the pick. Interesting, suprised it wasn't a Chicago or Cali newspaper reporting this.

17. Old Man Rock

Okay I searched over the wire and found over 35 articles on the NBA draft today. and no one else isaying anything about any snags...

So either Berman is one hell of a reporter and he's got the scoop that no one has or it's just another for the post to see newspapers... Oh by the way Chad Ford is the reporter for ESPN insider he seems to usually be on top of the draft.

18. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

God bless Clutch, it's a miracle he's able run this site at all hours of the night, work, raise a kid and spend time with his family. My theory is that he's a man-zombie, half-man, half-zombie. What do you guys think?

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Let's hide and watch on this one. It's tough to know what to believe anymore.

My first thought was, The timing of all these reports is strange, considering. Yao was allowed to entered the draft months ago, and it was generally known he would go #1 or #2 overall; so why do Yao and the Sharks/CBA/FIBA wait until the week before the draft to negotiate these fine details? And now, two days before the draft (if this is a true story from the Post; but as we all know, "IF" is the longest two-letter word in our language) such-and-so entity wants a letter from the NBA.

Hopefully this is all nothing, but if it's SOMETHING, then it feels very orchestrated.

And NY has only the #7 pick for us. NY wants Ming? Better find a third team to trade with.

20. Old Man Rock

I stand corrected in my opinion about the Post. They obviously had the scoop right... It is a little strange how the knicks desperately want Ming and a NY paper got the scoop first... straight from China.