1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Post: Yao Deal Hits Big Snag

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Take this with a grain of salt because they mention how the Rockets may have to trade the pick...to NYC of course...and this is the NY Post after all, but the sources seem fairly sound.

<i>LATE SNAG MAY KO MING TO NBA
    By MARC BERMAN

June 24, 2002 -- With the draft just two days away, a roadblock has arisen in negotiations with the Chinese Basketball Association that could prevent 7-5 center Yao Ming from being drafted Wednesday, sources in China told The Post late last night.

Because of Maverick forward Wang Zhi Zhi's decision not to return to China this month for national-team practices and fearing his defection, the Chinese Basketball Association now wants a written document from the NBA, guaranteeing Ming's participation in all Chinese National Team functions.

Ming's agent, Erick Zhang, who is based in Chicago, has been in China negotiating with Chinese basketball officials the past few days.

If there's no agreement with the Chinese Basketball Association, Ming may not get clearance from FIBA, the international governing body, and then is not eligible to be drafted.

Ming will be the top pick in the draft by Houston if the FIBA clears him. If not, the Rockets could wind up trading the pick because it does not want point guard Jay Williams. The Knicks have maintained constant dialogue with Rockets GM Carroll Dawson.

Lou Hong Liang, an interpreter for the Shanghai Sharks, told The Post last night, "The CBA is afraid. The only concern is whenever the national team meets, he can come back and no one can guarantee this."

The Sharks' official added, "I think it's difficult. Will the NBA write a guarantee for that? If they will, that's OK. If the NBA writes the guarantee, everything will be OK but there seems to be no agreement. If he can't go, he'll play for the Sharks and the national team."

The Rockets aren't involved in the negotiations. A source familiar with the situation told The Post that Chinese officials don't trust Ming's representative, Zhang, because he may have had contact with Zhi Zhi, who's reportedly in northern California. The concern is Ming could be a threat to defect, too. Ming won't attend the draft because of national team practices.

A Rocket spokesman said last night, "Our position is we're waiting on the sidelines. As far as we're concerned, there's not a role for us to play."

An NBA spokesman had no knowledge of the CBA's new demands.

Chinese officials also believe Zhang "exaggerated" in his press conference Saturday in China in which he announced an agreement with the Sharks regarding compensation, indicating they had cleared their most important hurdle. Lou Hong Liang pointed out that no Shanghai Shark official was present at the news conference.

Two days ago, Zhang said, "The CBA will give us a reply to our proposal by Monday so I hope an agreement can be reached with the CBA quickly and I'm confident it can be reached before the draft."</i>

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Ah man..I hope this is just the NYpost blowing things outta proportion.
    Windandsea...heech...any of you guys seen anything like this in the Chinese newspapers?
    ........someone tell me this is bs...please? :(

btw...jeff...will you be the first to 10K posts?...I havent seen anyone else with that many..

4. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I might have given some credence to the report if they had not said that.

What do the Knicks have that we would want?!?

If Ming is having trouble getting his release and we are forced to trade the pick, then there are so many other trades available that would net us more talent than what the Knicks have to offer.

More NY & Chi propaganda.....

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

How can the NBA assure that an individual will do something?

Also, why would NY want to waste a pick on someone who isn't int he draft?

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Yeah, I'll be the first. Only 30+ to go. :)

BTW: Everyone read Clutch's story. He nailed the whole truth!

7. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Jeff...I've gone through several threads looking for some info regarding Francis' stance on drafting Yao and I cant come up with anything concrete. Do you have any new info about this? Is there a danger of him not signing his max extension?

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm officially on a NEWS BAN !!! Until the draft

Rocket River
    WHY THE HELL IS THE ROCKET'S DRAFT LIKE THE
    FRICKIN ROCKETS GAMES . .. . WILL GIVE YOU A HEART ATTACK

9. NJRocket

The 7th pick and some expiring contracts for the 1 and some loaded contracts maybe

10. Dennis2112

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't we, The Rockets Management, already agree to let him participate with the Chinese National team? If Ming refuses to go ( play for the chinese national team), how can the Rockets or the NBA be held responsible?

11. NJRocket

Great question...maybe they would take Williams given their horrible PG's

12. Dennis2112

While that sounds somewhat interesting, I think we can get a bit more for that #1 pick.

13. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

The New York Post is known to be a trash newspaper. Its nothing but a tabloid newspaper and the qaulity of the stories and the writing is a tad above that of the National Enquirer.

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I haven't heard much, but I do know that Francis is talking with the Rockets about everything and that nothing (his displeasure or his committments) is set in concrete. I know that really isn't much, but it's really all I know at the moment.

MY OPINION: I think the thing with Francis will blow over. He apparently threw a similar tantrum when the Griffin deal was made last year. From what I've heard, Steve hasn't really even seen Yao play, so I have to believe that his opinion will change. In addition, Francis loves Rudy T and CD. He really does trust them, so their opinion is important.

If I had to bet on it, I would bet that Francis still signs his deal this summer.

15. NJRocket

Not quite...it may be a "homer"- type paper when it comes to NY area sports teams but it is far from the Nat'l Enquirer

16. Dennis2112

Which if we are drafting and trading JWill then we can definitely get more than what NY is offering.

17. Live

Live Member

Interesting how an interpreter is now a source, and I mean no disrespect to any professional interpreters out there.

I mean, why isn't the GM of the Sharks making noise if it's such a big deal, he's never been shy about expressing his opinions (supposedly) before.

Isn't he in NYC for the draft, why not buy him a cup of coffee and ask him what he's heard?

DAMN I can't wait for this to be over with!

18. NJRocket

Dennis...I heard you thie 1st time around....you asked what NY would possibly have that we want...you didn't ask what I thought was the best deal out there...you're arguing with yourself...I am well aware that NY has the least to offer

PS...I hope you're right Jeff...I'd hate to see this pick cause a problem with Steve...he may be act childish sometimes but he is the core of our team right now. I wonder if we knew ahead of time that Steve would leave whether we selected Yao or J Will, which one we would take. Would we still take Yao or would we take J Will to fill the PG slot since Steve would leave anyway...(twilight zone music)

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

EXACTLY!!! Check the quotes out side-by-side...

The interpreter:

<i>"The CBA is afraid," said Lou Hong Liang, an interpreter for the Shanghai Sharks, to the Post. "The only concern is whenever the national team meets, he can come back and no one can guarantee this. I think it's difficult. Will the NBA write a guarantee for that? If they will, that's OK. If the NBA writes the guarantee, everything will be OK but there seems to be no agreement. If he can't go, he'll play for the Sharks and the national team."

Lou Hong Liang also reportedly told the Post that Zhang exaggerated at Saturday's press conference in announcing a financial deal with the Sharks. Liang cited the fact that no Shark official was present at the conference. </i>

Never heard of that guy.

This is from the Chronicle and the guy speaking is a spokesman for the Sharks' owner...

<i>"We have a basic agreement with Erick and with Yao Ming's family," said Yi Le (Shanghai Television network), who attended the negotiations and works for Sharks owner Bai Li. "The club agrees Yao Ming can go to the NBA. With the time very short, we have no time to prepare the documents to sign the agreement. We believe each other. This is the basic thing. We can go through to CBA. The Rockets need the release. That's critical. (It) must be approved now by the CBA." </i>

That would be like asking an interpreter in China versus asking a spokesman for the Rockets about how Steve Francis is doing. Who do you trust?

20. Live

Live Member

DAMN, Jeff, I didn't even see the part about there being no rep from the Sharks' at Ming's press conference.

Somebody better tell the Chronicle, the Sharks, and Yao & his people that.