1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Post] Nets possibly pursuing Swift sign-and-trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KHimmatramka, Jul 15, 2005.

1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

jopatmc -

NJ's TE doesn't really stack up IMHO. Read my comments in post #40 here:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=99001&page=2

Given the Stro's from Louisiana, let's not forget the Cajun. :D

#21 GATER, Jul 15, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  2. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

One other thing to think about. A trade involving an exception is just like one involving a player, in that the salaries do not have to match. Add I believe 15% and you get the real value. It may have even gone up to 25% with the new CBA./

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

NO!!!...This is incorrect. The +/- 115% Assigned Player Exception was not allowed to be combined with the Traded Player Exception in the old CBA.

4. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

I take your wor over mine on CBA stuff. I could have sworn that the exception was just like a player. I take it all back and sentence myself to 15 minutes in the ESPN forum for my misinformation.

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Honestly if I am Memphis, hell yes I would take the TE (Gater, it can then renounced it immediately right as if Swift just left as a FA?) and even a 2nd just to get Swift from us. I'd like to get two 2nds, or swap 1st and 2nds, but I'd probably take just one 2nd rounder in the end, that is probably more than I'll get otherwise (Swift will walk and I get nothing) and I get him to the East.

But honselty 5 for 29 mil isn't that different than like 6 for 37 in this case (NJ's offer versus Houston's offer). For one, say Swift does well in the 5 year contract, he would make that up in the 6th year (earn 10+ mil that season where he is locked into a lower salary in the 6 year deal). Plus consider New Jersey's income tax. Overall all it is not a meaningfully different contract IMO. To me it was more of an issue for SAR, because SAR wanted to go to the Nets in the 1st place and he will be older by the 6th year anyway (unlikely to get a bigger pay day for year 6th otherwise as he would be what 34 or 35).

The more I think about it, the only way Swift would pick NJ over us is if he just likes NJ better (doubtfull) OR Memphis and NJ put together a bigger deal than just their TE. That seems unlikely.

I think NO and Cleve and ATL (if Curry doesn't come through) are much bigger threats.

#25 Desert Scar, Jul 15, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Then the bottom line is .........Swift ain't gonna do it unless there is a substantial offer above the $4.9 mill and then NJ has to send back players, etc.

7. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

If the Nets find Darius Songalia more attractive than Swift then that means we don't really have to worry about Swift going there now, right?

8. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

Also, Swift is going where he wants in this deal. Memphis has no real say unless they refuse to help. They may prefer Swift to go the Nets, but if Swift doesn't really want to go there - too bad.

I know LOTS of people say Mem would never do a sign and trade to send him here. They would NEVER help us get closer to a championship. Think about it this way. If we sign Swift to the MLE because he cannot get a better offer, we are getting a solid player for cheap. We also would still have our draft pick (which we would probably have to give up in a SnT). If I am Memphis I'll gladly do a SnT to help fill up our salary cap as well as try to take a pick or 2 from us in the deal. Anyone Mem would take from us would have an expiring contract. Mem could also only agree to help us if we help them by taking a bad contract back in return - thus further filling our cap space and reducing theirs. I think there is a possibility that this could happen. The only real way Memphis could hurt us is if Swift gives them a list of teams he will go and let's Mem work the best deal for themselves.

9. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

if we cant get stromile swift, will shareef still be available??? cause i thought the nets were trying to get shareef instead of swift. oh well. :rolleyes:

10. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Exactly! Swift has the upper hand. He decides where he wants to go and then Memphis decides whether they want compensation or not.

The only way I see it being an issue is if Swift sees, with a S&T with one team, will get him a much larger contract.

If he decides Houston is where he wants to be, I still believe Memphis will look at the situation and come to the conclusion that they have put too much time and effort into him and he has too much possible "potential" to just let walk.

I can see him ultimately getting a contract starting less than Kwame Brown recieved but with max years. Spoon + 1 + 2 and be done with it. The Grizz still have plenty of assets to get them a center especially with the Rocket's picks.

11. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I may be simplistic, but I figure Memphis decided to let Swift go without compensation when they decided not meet his contract demands last year. Once they let him go to unrestricted status, they knew there was not much coming back.

12. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Mogrod, you are right - Darius Songaila is a Restricted Free Agent. And Sac Town has indicated that they would match if the price is reasonable....there making him really unattractive.