1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY POST: KIDD "Fire Byron or else"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by smackpeddler, Jul 10, 2003.

1. smackpeddler

smackpeddler Member

http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/37617.htm

July 10, 2003 -- In a bombshell demand to Nets ownership, Jason Kidd has asked the team to fire coach Byron Scott if they hope to keep him from jumping to the Spurs as a free agent, The Post has learned.
    The All-Star point guard, according to several league sources, delivered his request during a midtown meeting Tuesday night with his agent, team owners and club president Rod Thorn.

Kidd and Thorn could not be reached for comment yesterday.

One source said that Kidd told Nets ownership his complaint stems from Scott's in-game coaching and that the removal of the second-winningest coach in franchise history is one way to prevent him from going to the San Antonio.

Kidd and Scott, on the surface, seemed to have a good working relationship. They are friendly and have golfed together, but during the season there were rumblings that Kidd disapproved of Scott's in-game decisions. After the Nets were ousted in Game 6 of the Finals by the Spurs in a game where Scott was criticized for his fourth-quarter adjustments, sources said Kidd told Nets brass his son "T.J. could have coached a better quarter."

"Jason expressed concerns, ranging from team personnel, to life after basketball to the current coaching situation," said one of the sources.

"This has been brewing for some time," maintained another source.

Scott, contacted last night, sounded stunned by the development.

"I have no reaction," said Scott, who won three title rings as a Laker player. "It surprises me."

Asked if he sensed any ill feelings or animosity from Kidd in their two years together, Scott quickly said, "No, not at all."

Scott's agent, Brian McInerney, who has been with the coach for 19 years, said last night that he spoke with Kidd's agent, Jeff Schwartz, after learning of the player's demands.

"I talked to Jeff Schwartz frequently and we both believe that whatever is decided should be decided in a professional manner and not in a public debate," McInerney said. "I doubt the validity of this meeting without an official comment from Rod Thorn. These releases harm the franchise, harm the players, harm players' families. Everything should only be released through Rod Thorn."

The Nets took the ultimatum very seriously but likely would not move against Scott until Kidd commits to stay. Team brass is expected to start reviewing possible coaching candidates, such as 2001-02 Coach of the Year Rick Carlisle, Mike Dunleavy, Doug Collins and Mike Fratello.

In addition to his demand on Scott, Kidd also wants an upgrade in talent, so the Nets are seeking to lock up his friend, free-agent center Alonzo Mourning.

Thorn had just returned from Miami, where he met with Mourning and his agent, Jeffrey Wechsler. The Nets feel strongly they can land Mourning for the mid-level exception, roughly $4.8 million, if Kidd stays. Yesterday, the path to Mourning became easier when Heat president and coach Pat Riley said he was not willing to go beyond one year for the center and it would take a "heroic" gesture by Zo to stay in Miami.

The Nets, after the Spurs' whirlwind, two-day courtship of Kidd and his wife, Joumana, in San Antonio, are prepared to make every attempt beyond the six-year, $99.225 million maximum contract to keep him in New Jersey. Kidd presented his side at Tuesday's meeting, the first of several sitdowns planned for this week.

Kidd would receive a management-level position with the Nets after he retires. There were other issues discussed, such as job opportunities in TV for his wife. More than one source maintained that Joumana, while admittedly impressed by the Spurs' presentation, is leaning heavily toward remaining in New Jersey. While the Spurs also can offer TV opportunities, San Antonio and the Riverwalk are not New York and Madison Avenue.

If the Nets fire Scott, Kidd could emerge as a villain. But if the Nets continue winning - they've been to the Finals in Kidd's two seasons - who would care? Scott is 127-119 (.516) in three seasons. He coached the Nets to their two greatest NBA win totals - 52 in 2001-02 and 49 last season, landing in the Finals both times.

The Spurs were pleased with their presentation to the Kidds but they are not getting overly excited, fearing the longer he's home, the stronger the Nets' chances become.

"The purpose of the trip was to provide a feeling for the personality of our organization," said Spurs GM R.C. Buford. As for whether he thinks Kidd will sign with the Spurs, Buford said, "I have no reason to feel one way or the other."

Mourning and Kidd grew very close with the 2000 U.S. Olympic team. Mourning has said he is watching Kidd's decision very closely.

Mourning is being courted by several teams, including Dallas, with reports the Mavs have offered at least three guaranteed years. Some speculate he would prefer to stay in the East, and with the Nets, he would be close to Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in Manhattan, where he has been treated for the kidney illness that forced him out last season and for all but 13 games in 2000-01. One of his closest friends, former Georgetown roommate Dikembe Mutombo, is already here.

2. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Whoa, Scott did do a piss poor job of coaching and making subs in the game 6 4th quarter, but I never saw anything like this coming. I think Kidd's gonna take some heat from the media for this one. Can't wait to see Around the Horn and PTI tomorrow.

3. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

If this is true, then one has to question Jason Kidd ... or the person who really made this choice, Joumana. Not that I totally agree with Bob Ryan, but she has always seemed to want to be on TV, whether it was on MTV's Cribs or Extra. San Antonio will not offer her any of the opportunities that New Jersey or even Dallas could. Heck, I wonder who's idea it was to blow a kiss to the rim before each and every free throw. How many times has her name come up when announcers have to explain his actions once a game? Was that part of his anger management class?

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/kiddmug1.html

Kidd should be ripped for saying this. No player should have that type of power, especially for a player that cannot lead his team to the title two years in a row. Kidd knows he cannot win a title in the east, but it looks like he is trying to get the best of a bad situation in Jersey and get another coach.

4. JamesC

JamesC Member

If this is really true, it dosent surprise me at all. Byron Scott did a horrible job of coaching during the finals. He didnt give his team the best possible chance of winning. Why was Mutombo on the bench when your opponent has two seven footers on the floor at the same time? I dont know what happened between those two, but it was the NBA Finals and they should've buried the hatchet. In game 6 when the Spurs had that big run to put the game out of reach, werent Jefferson and Kittles on the bench? Thats completely inexcusable especially when your season is on the line. Thats what most of these guys play for. The grueling training camps, the preseason, and an 82 game season, plus the playoffs. Thats over 100 games played and it was thrown away over some petty differences.

5. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Byron Scott coached that team all the way to the finals, pushing it to six games. If you want to blame his coaching for their loss, then you should credit his coaching with an Eastern Conference title and the success the Nets have had.

His coaching style seemed to work in the regular season and throughout most of the playoffs. The Nets lost to a better team. Period.

6. CRC

CRC Member

Its interesting to see how the 2 coaches that coached their respective teams to the eastern conference finals all gets fired... perhaps their job will be much more secure by not reaching the finals... :D

God! Are you kidding!:eek:

7. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Man, I wasn't a Kidd fan before, but....what an A**! The fame has gone to his already swollen head.

Jason, your team failed to dominate a weak eastern conference during the regular season. Your coach has done a great job getting your sorry butt to the finals each year, but you've been outmatched.

Why? Because you aren't that good and your teammates aren't that good.

By the way, the finals weren't lost because of coaching. If you want to look for a reason you lost, why don't you ask yourself why you couldn't dominate a 20 year old point guard?

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't believe the article.

9. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

i see it the other way around. i think byron scott is a piss poor coach (just like that grinning fool isaiah thomas) and the real coach of the team is jason kidd.
    granted i dont see every game they play but i think NJ's halfcourt game is ****e, and their great running game is due to jason kidd's great court vision (instincts) and his ability to judge where his teammates are.
    i think their success in the playoffs is due to jason kidd and kenyon martin's ability to defend every forward in the eastern team. jermaine oneal, antoine walker knows.
    against san antonio, new jersey didn't change a single game plan. they just lay down and took the beating. thats why the finals was so boring.

10. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Jason Kidd is not Magic Johnson or Michael Jordan.

11. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

jason kidd is the best point guard last 2 seasons. in the finals he was slow. he said it wasnt his ankles but everyone thinks it is. i guess if you're about to sign a new contract, i'm sure you dont want people to use your health against you.

12. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Believe it, Juan. Its all over the papers here and on the radio with credible journalists backing up the story.

Plus, I heard from a friend of mine at the YES Network that he is not the only one who feels Byron should go. Seems like a few of the players even HATE him. Kidd just happens to dislike his coaching method.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If it is true, he's not an ass, he's an idiot. You don't switch coaches between runs to the finals.

Btw, it isn't circumvention of the cap to promise to give a player's wife a job or to promise the player a front-office job after his retirement? That sounds crooked and doesn't lend much authority to the article, never minding the fact that it is the NY Post.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree JV, promising a job to a wife is certainly circumventure, given that you aren't even allowed to get extra endorsement work yourself, when paid by the team or any affiliate.

Here's another clear error.
    It's not a 6yr max. It is a 7yr max.

:rolleyes:

Why is it so hard for the NYPost to get their simple facts straight. Kidd is looking at around $120-125m from the Nets.

as for the demands,

so much for all that hype about Scott causing the turnaround. He did have some strange substition patterns, imo. If this is true, they screwed up letting Eddie Jordan go. I wonder if Kidd attitude changed from "I can live with Scott with Eddie around" to this ultimatum. I also wonder if his attitude is changing given the Payton decision and he now thinking the Nets have little chance.

As for changing coaches between finals trips, I don't think an East team really counts as a legitimate finals candidate. Is this really any different than both Magic and Bird demanding a change in Westhead and Fitch (after titles then losses).

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yeah, but Byron Scott is no T.J. Kidd....hehe

16. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Ditto that, HP.

as to other points raised, coaching (like playing) in the regular season has nothing to do with coaching (and playing) in the post season. The regular season involves beating up the dregs in the eastern conference, and losing to the West when you are forced to play those elite teams.

The playoffs are about matchups and adjustments. I watched every game and Scott was pathetic. It appears that his desire to emulate Pat Riley (appear in control and know what he is doing) overrode the need to make adjustments . . . ie, play Mutumbo. The more that the media and pundits said he should play Mutumbo, the more he dug in his heels, as if to say, I am the coach and I know more than you.

Ultimately, the Spurs were the better team and would have won anyway. But that's not the issue. Scott still made the wrong decisions and did not give his team the best chance of winning. If Scott gets canned, NJ hires Rick Carslisle and Kidd and Mourning hop onto NJ, it will be a better team than last year. Still, if Kidd wants to win, he needs to quit screwing around and sign with the Spurs.

17. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Ok, let's compromise and call him an ass-clown. He's trying to use his dark clown powers for evil. Even if he is the best point guard in the league, he isn't one of the top 5 most wanted players in the NBA. (Shaq,Duncan,Garnett,Dirk,Yao,Kobe,T-Mac come to mind) As such, he has no business demanding that his coach gets fired. Anyone else notice that the rise in hype around Kidd occurred after he moved to the east and close to NY?

(By the way, if you don't know what dark clown powers are and you are over 21, you need to search Kazzaalite for the star wars spoof - very amusing )

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Two words describe why Rudy Tomjanovich was ever considered a really good coach:

1. Hakeem 2. Olajuwon

And so "1. Jason 2. Kidd" would be the two words that describes Byron Scott's greatness as a coach. The guy looks good in a suit (and I mean that in a hetero, wish-I-had-the-money-for-nice-clothes kind of way ;)). That's it.

19. JamesC

JamesC Member

It was obvious that the spurs were the better team in the series, but like I said he didnt give his team the best possible chance of winning. I'll give him credit for getting his team to the finals. A good coach will make the proper adjustments to help his team.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I could go with that, but Hakeem would have been great anywhere, arguably. Kidd has accomplished exactly what on his other teams? ... Exactly.

Also, great players don't belly flop on the biggest stage. He can't really control a game against a great team because he can't shoot straight.

It's fine to nit-pick some substitution patterns after the fact, but Scott is a huge reason for NJ's success, if you ask me.