1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Daily News]:Why Warriors-Cavs Game 7 is the biggest game in NBA history

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Os Trigonum, Jun 18, 2016.

1. conquistador#11

the times of the millennial where the last thing they've seen is the greatest.

2. eman

eman Contributing Member

Donkey-- I like that! He's been going after loose balls like a maniac.

Cavs are much better defensively since not having to contend with Bogut's big-ass moving screens.

Hope it will be a clean game tonight. Less flopping, fewer shenanigans and video reviews, please!

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its going to be the highest rated game in the post jordan era.

4. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I doubt they are sweating. I suspect that there are many more GOT fans out there than NBA fans. Plus, streaming at any time.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Plus the '90s only had one Game 7, and it didn't even get a Sports Illustrated cover.

Makes me think the writer would have mentioned that game, if the Knicks/Ewing won. So much intrigue, Knicks finally win again, Pat Riley, a historical matchup dating back to Ewing and Hakeem's NCAA game, etc. Basically, it's only Houston and San Antonio that had the Game 7s, since the 80s. So those were low-ratings, "boring" teams.

I still say 1984 -- Bird v Magic -- was bigger.

#25 heypartner, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

The thing I do not like from this series is that hardly any game was close. That really reduces the excitment I have for this game 7.

7. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Perfect example of seeking a narrative that simply isn't there.

Best player of the century? Nope.

There are countless stars without rings, several of them top 100 players.

73 wins is meaningless just because they didn't win the finals? Nope.

Cockiest team of all time? curry built his reputation on being a nice guy for crying out loud.

Douchy sports town? The same one that has a history rooted in creating something out of nothing when the gold dried up?

I don't know man. While I certainly don't think game of thrones will create a noticible impact on the NBA, I do think that by calling this the most important NBA game, we are severely negating just how important past games were in creating the modern NBA.

8. nono

nono Member

ill be watching game of thrones. couldn't care less about this game

9. Steve_Francis_rules

Neither one of those supposed superstars had ever played a playoff game before being teammates with Lebron.

And did you really just throw Raymond Felton in with a list of HOFers as proof that the #5 pick is legit?

10. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Your not a real basketball fan. This the last game until October. Game 7. Your crazy.

11. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Sorry but I'm probably missing something. Wouldn't the biggest episode of GOT's season be the season finale...which is next Sunday? :confused:

12. nono

nono Member

The Rockets have made me lose all interest in the game. I don't like American sports in general because there are too many commercials and referee controversies and in the NBA it seems like the league tries to influence the outcomes of some game. Soccer (the real football) is the only sport I'll truly love.

1 person likes this.
  13. nono

nono Member

This coming episode is the one with the biggest budget of the season. I also think it has the highest expectations of all the episodes because they have had three relatively quiet episodes all to set this one up. They are saying it is the biggest battle in television history and I read somewhere else here that the episode cost $20m to make.

The last episode will basically deal with the aftermath of the battle in this episode and will set up some cliffhanger for the next season.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Leave it to The New York Daily News to crank up the hyperbole. As if it needed more buildup!

15. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

It's not the biggest game, as they assert, but it's also not nothing, either. Why must some always take the extreme views? Seriously, it has set itself apart from many other Finals, but it's also not up there with 1984, 1996...heck, even 1995 needs to be mentioned if for no other reason that I don't believe any team has won from being the 6th seed. People underestimate its significance.

But this one, due to the Warriors' GOAT regular-season record, puts it in somewhat rarified air. With a win, they can technically be argued as the GOAT (not in my book, but at least a case can be made). With a loss, it could be seen as one of the greatest upsets of all time due to the 3-1 lead and the aforementioned 73 wins. I think it's up there in the top 5.

Fan bases don't mean ****- no one remembers that, anyway, in terms of douchiness or whatever. They will remember a city that won a championship after a particularly long drought, like the Red Sox in 2004 or the Cubs this year if they win it. Or if Cleveland wins, I suppose that will be part of the narrative.

So, yes, it's not just another Finals for most.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

GoTs is known for the penultimate episodes being the biggest in every season.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

FIFY and repped

18. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

*** soccer.

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Ah ok, thx breh.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pretty sure that game lived up to all the hype. ;)