1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Daily News - Shumpert being shopped for Rondo, Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Nov 17, 2013.

1. yummyhawtsauce

is this legit or a troll thread. Rondo to rockets is the worst thing ever.

2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

To those that think Shumpert is still playing good defense needs to pay attention to games rather then word of mouth. He's been a average defender this season.

3. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

If Rondo is such a ****ty player why is he an all-star and even starting in the NBA? Why does Lebron and Melo want him on their teams? I just don't understand that....I bet if you polled the actual players in the NBA, 9/10 of them would want a guy like Rondo on their team.

4. rserina

rserina Member

That entire team is a wreck defensively--it isn't just him. Their help defense is terrible and as their best perimeter defender he has nothing to protect him. But the kid *can* be a good defender, as he has shown in past seasons.

5. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

The smart thing IMO would be to trade for a Stretch 4 who can shoot the 3/Mid-Range or a backup 5 and wing player.

or

get a solid Perimeter D and 3 ball shooter and move Parsons to the 4.

4's: Ryan Anderson, Ersan Ilyasova, Andrea Bargani, Patrick Patterson

3's: Shumpert, Arron Afflalo (Other then those two I dont know who else we could get looool)

6. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I was comparing two players with their caps and their contribution to their teams last season. Remove their names from the comparison and there is NO debate as to who was the better deal.

Player A's cap WAS 8.4M

Players B's cap WAS 4M

Both produced about the same number wins and there is no if's nor there is any need to spin anything from that.

7. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Rondo has very few friends in the NBA. It has nothing to do with him being a s***ty player (he's a great talent), and everything to do with him being a stuck-up punk.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Comparing 2011-2012 Rondo with Chris Paul just in terms of assists. Because CP3 played 7% more minutes in that year than Rondo, I have deflated CP3's stats to match Rondo's minutes.

1st number CP3, 2nd number Rondo

Dunk assists: 63 to 52
    Close assists: 80 to 128
    Jump shot assists: 202 to 310
    3pt assists: 137 to 130

Basically CP3 outperformed Rondo on dunks(he does have the Griffin advantage) but otherwise not so much. Rondo has a ton more close assists while CP3 with a slight edge in 3pters.

Does Rondo get some gimme assists because KG/Pierce/Allen are great jumpshooters? Sure. But when it comes to good passes that set up high% shots, Rondo's still very good.

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I do think rondo would help the flow of our offense more. While I guess he is ball dominant, he does get the ball to his playmakers in good position.

Plus less harden hero ball is a good thing.

I'm actually warming up to the idea of adding rondo unless the stories about his bad attitude are true.

10. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Why would the Knicks want Asik? When Tyson Chandler gets healthy, Asik goes back to the bench and becomes a headcase again.

11. quatin

quatin Member

Rondo can work if Harden will accept playing off the ball. That's a big IF though.

The biggest problem in getting Rondo is that Boston WANTS Rondo. They traded everyone, except Rondo to make him the corner piece for their rebuild. If anyone is going to get Rondo out of Boston, they're going to over pay. Asik + Lin is not enough. Boston needs a bonafide star player in return for Rondo.

12. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Not to mention, Rondo tore his ACL in January and isn't expected back for at least another month.

How will that affect his game?

13. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Probably not just some, but a lot. It's been awhile since I checked the numbers, but 70+% of KG and Allen's FGs were assisted and 50+% of Pierce's FGs were assisted. Rondo played with three clutch future HOF shooters.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This is a "random trade idea" by a NY reporter, Frank Isola. I doubt that the Houston portion of this has even any basis in anything that he might have heard from an actual source. This is just like the typical Sam Smith random trade idea.

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Your heart could very well explode from this desperation move...:eek:

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

there were stories of dwight's attitude as well.

i know what people are thinking when it comes to rondo. can't shoot, so he won't space the floor for dwight. needs the ball so he can't fit with harden.

a couple of things about that:

a) he'll either get the ball to dwight or if they leave him to double dwight and the ball gets kicked out to him, he's a 50% shooter from the feild, he's excellent at attacking the basket and finishing at the rim. its not like he's rafer alston who can't do either. he doesn't take the 3, he attacks and finishes in the paint at a high rate, especially when left unguarded.

b) paul pierce played a lot like harden as a point forward before rondo became rondo. rondo got him a lot of easy shots. this is what i was talking about in my thread today. our guys work too hard for their shots by always driving and kicking. what about some off the ball down screens for james, chandler, lin, casspi, and garcia that leave them open at the free throw line or 3pt wing? what about some up screens to free up back door cuts? ACTUAL LOB PASSES THAT DWIGHT CAN CATCH!

c) rondo won't put up with guys being out of position on offense. he may be an a-hole about things sometimes, but he gets guys in position. dwight will PnR bc he will actually get the ball!

d) people are worried about fit, but that's when we are talking about normal players. when you talk about perennial all stars, they have another level of talent. give me any 3 of those guys and ill worry about fit later. you trade asik for the best player available so long as its not a SG, SF, or C. you don't trade a major piece for a lesser player because of fit (anderson / illyasova).

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Shumpert for rondo? Are you serious?? Why the hell would boston do this without at least 2 or 3 first rounders coming their way as well?

18. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

lol I noticed he hasn't been on ESPN lately, he usually is all over ESPN. I guess the mutiple sources gif all over social media, has hurt ESPN brand, and they decided to give a lesser role.

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I see you working, but no way I give up Asik and two picks for the headache that is Rondo. My concerns with Rondo are his health, his attitude and his inability to hit a jumper.

Rondo is a Helluva point guard, just not sure how he'd mesh with this team. I don't think we have strong enough leadership from the player side. Who will Rondo listen to? Garnett could pretty much keep him in check, the Rockets don't have that IMO.

I stay patient if I'm the Rockets, wait for the right deal. Asik can rot on the bench for all I care, if he's going to have this attitude.

#79 mikol13, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  20. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Trade makes no sense for Boston - or for NY for that matter (maybe if you switched out Asik with Lin - I am sure NY would like to have Lin back now).

As for Rondo - he is greatly undervalued here. He is a great player. Really good defender and he can really run an offense. The problem is: if he`d come here, lots of things would have to change.

Rondo only makes sense, if he can be the primary ballhandler. That means taking the ball out of Harden`s hands for large parts of the game and turning him into a spot up shooter/ runner off screens / cutter. He could really excell at that, but so far he seems to be way more comfortable with the ball in his hands.

But with Lin`s play as of late I think we will look at other ways first - and I still don`t think that trading with us would be in Bostons best interest. They want lottery picks and young talent. We don`t want to give them Parsons, and TJones/DMo/Canaan are all not as talented as Boston would want.