1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

{NY Daily News} Phil of Waiting ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gatorfan76, May 17, 2005.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Because you said it first?

2. waelhakmeh

waelhakmeh Member

so i take it you don't think that highly of larry brown or rick carlisle either :rolleyes: are they third rate coaches too?

3. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

I think PJ is a better coach than JVG. JVG is a micromanager. PJ is a leader. Of course, JVG has leader-skills, and PJ micromanages too, but in the end, JVG is more a micromanager, and PJ is a better leader. Can JVG win a championship? Probably. Can PJ win a championship? Definitely.

Don't get me wrong, I like JVG. But PJ is like TD, while JVG is like KG. TD is a proven winner. KG does all the little things but doesn't seem to win.

4. RocketsFan123

RocketsFan123 Contributing Member

PHIL JACKSON PLEASE!

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I just don't like Phil Jackson. Actually, I cannot stand him.

It is a little bit tempting, though.

6. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

Guys i have the greatest idea. Lets get Pop from the Spurs. I think we can pry him away:rolleyes: .

But seriously, I would take Pop over PJ or any other coach in the nba anyday.

7. cenbo416

cenbo416 Contributing Member

PJ + T-Mac + Yao = Ring (s)
    JVG works hard.

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Just like PJ produced a championship last year with the Fake show, right? Because according to your logic any place PJ decides to bless with his presence will get a championship. :rolleyes:

Big Chief is overated! What did PJ do when Jordan was retired? Championship right? Don't think so. What did he do when he didn't have the best players in the league PEAKING? Nothing. So enough of this crap.

JVG is our coach. Our 2 superstars love the guy work hard for him. We haven't even had a full with a stable team yet.

We had a 50 win team after starting 6-11. A lot of coaches wouldn't have been able to pull the team together like JVG did with the massive player turnover. So give credit where it's due.

JVG is the right coach for this team.

9. roxgirl

roxgirl Member

Amen. Phil Jackson has the hardware, which makes his resume attractive, but you know what's ALWAYS said: he goes where things are already in place and gets championships that way. I'm sure he's a very good coach, but I think he gets more credit than he deserves. I mean how do you think he would have done with our squad last year? JVG took us to the playoffs and almost beat the same Lakers.

And this year, JVG has shown that this team can go even further. Let's say they bring in Phil and we win rings...great, I'll be happy, but I won't give Phil Jackson credit for them. I'd much rather give the credit to the players and JVG. I hope I don't have to eat those words, hahaha!

10. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Because he landed with the Lakers last year....albeit too late

11. edc

edc Contributing Member

"Further" as in losing in the first round, and getting embarassed in game seven.

12. edc

edc Contributing Member

Larry Brown has a ring, last time I checked. He's also won at every level, which accounts for a bit. Even with the results of the Lakers-Pistons finals, I prefer Jackson...

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. Winning is not everything. If PJ was Rockets coach, I'd be watching a lot more Texans games.

2. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Jackson may never win another championship in his life. And, I'd give him no better odds of winning one with the Rockets than I give Van Gundy. They're both good coaches. After that, it's up to CD to get the personnel and up to the players to perform. PJ won't be the deciding factor. Given that, I'd rather not put up with the most despicable coach on the market.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Even if that's true, TMac and Yao are going to hit their peak soon. It sounds like you don't want him out of spite.

/being difficult off

15. New Jack

New Jack Member

It should be very interesting to see which team ends up winning the title this year. Because if Stan Van Gundy, D'Antoni, Avery Johnson, or McMillan end up winning it all, your theory that "a team must have a proven coach with past playoff success in order to have success in the future" is pretty much debunked. These are all coaches with no rings (as coaches), no past playoff success, no playoff experience, and yet they're all here contending for the title.

16. roxgirl

roxgirl Member

The rockets didn't live up to their potential this season in my opinion. Of the loses in the series, I didn't blame JVG for those, I blamed the players for poor execution and not playing smart basketball. Now SOME of the blame will go to JVG, poor matchups, not making good adjustments, but c'mon man...you can look at it a very straight and simple way by saying, we still lost in the first round, but you don't think this team is further along and will show to continue to make progress on making a legit championship push? Or do you really say, we are no better than last year b/c we lost 1st round again?

17. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

The way Jackson hovers around over jobs like a vulture really makes me not like him. There is no guarantee he will win a championship here. It makes me hope that I will never see him on the sidelines for the Rockets.

#77 Chilly_Pete, May 18, 2005
    Last edited: May 18, 2005
  18. holyMark

holyMark Contributing Member

there's chinese fans vote:

which one fits rockets more?

1 JVG¡¡¡¡£¸£®£±£µ£¥
    2 PHIL¡¡£¸£¶£®£°£²£¥
    3 dunno¡¡£µ£®£¸£³£¥

to be a reference

link:click the right button

19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Not spite, I just pointed out very obvious facts. Everyone has talked about how great the team chemistry is and T-mac and Yao have stated that they really enjoy playing for JVG. With all that said, people here seem to be obsessed with Mr. Overrated.

If it were Larry Brown, Pop, or Carlise. Coach of that ilk and our situation was crappy then I say go for it. Our situation is still on an upward rise and this team and coach hasn't been given time to produce results. T-mac just played his first year as a Rocket.

As for all this ring crap, how many rings does Ron Harper, deven george and all those other role players have that played on the Jordan Bulls and Shaq Lakers? Does that automaticaly make them better players than those without rings? Or did they just happen to be at the right place at the write time?

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So, if I read this right, JVG got 8.25% and Jackson got 85.9%? The Chinese have bought the hype?