1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Daily News] New York Knicks deny reports

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ShiniKashi, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Courtesy of other thread. Though it deserved its own topic. Sigh, we should all stop jumping the gun and wait and see!

New York Knicks deny report that deal for Houston Rockets forward Tracy McGrady is close

BY Frank Isola
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

CHICAGO - Tracy McGrady is no longer an All-Star and hasn't been much of an NBA player the last two seasons.

What McGrady is, however, is available and with Donnie Walsh desperate to breathe life into his floundering team, the Knicks appear intent on landing the Houston Rockets' swingman.

The trade would send Jared Jeffries, rookie Jordan Hill and either Al Harrington or Larry Hughes to Houston for McGrady, Joey Dorsey and Brian Cook. The teams would also flip-flop first-round picks in 2011, and the Knicks would trade their 2012 first-round pick to the Rockets.

Trading Jeffries is crucial for the Knicks because removing his contract, which runs through 2011, would free up additional cap space for the Knicks to sign two max free agents this summer. However, Jeffries also has a $2 million trade kicker, one of many reasons why the forward is difficult to move.

Also, Knicks sources claim that Walsh is not prepared to give up on Hill, the eighth overall pick of the 2009 draft who has played sparingly. McGrady's health is also a factor. His surgically repaired left knee has forced him to miss most of the last two seasons.

A Rockets official admitted that "there is no way of knowing how long and how hard" McGrady can play on a daily basis.

The Knicks (19-32) begin the post All-Star break with back-to-back games against the Bulls, starting tonight. The only real drama left in their season could play out over the next three days.

Walsh and his long-time friend, Arn Tellem, McGrady's agent, are trying to figure out a way to get McGrady to New York prior to Thursday's trade deadline. According to a person familiar with the negotiations, a more plausible scenario is the Knicks signing McGrady after the deadline once he reaches a buyout agreement with Houston.

"I don't think the Knicks are doing anything except waiting for McGrady to be released," the source said.

Tellem is putting pressure on the Rockets to grant McGrady, who was banished by the team in December, his freedom to resume his career. The Rockets, of course, are not obligated to do anything with McGrady.

They are willing to trade him for any combination of expiring contracts, draft picks and young players. Houston has been in talks with the Bulls and Sixers about a deal for McGrady, who has spent most of the last three months training in the Windy City.

The Knicks have expiring contracts in the form of Harrington, Hughes and Darko Milicic. McGrady could conceivably be the playmaker Mike D'Antoni covets - for the right price, that is. The Knick brain trust is unhappy with the play of both Chris Duhon and Nate Robinson at point guard and seems reluctant to give rookie Toney Douglas a chance. But a move for McGrady seems to be less about the impact he'll have on the court. Instead, D'Antoni is looking to remove players from the locker room that he feels are either disgruntled or, as the coach sees it, hurting the development of second-year forward Danilo Gallinari.

Source

2. HRocketsFan

HRocketsFan Member

Might as well trade him to Chicago since he's already there.

3. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

McGrady won't be "released" until the end of the season if he isn't traded before then.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

If they're holding their breath for a buyout, they're going to be disappointed.

5. StacyMcGrady3

StacyMcGrady3 Rookie

if the rockets buy mcgrady out, then that just illustrates a MAJOR FAIL on their part of doing business. Les isn't the type of owner who would entertain buyout offers from anyone.

6. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Well, I was just going through a rumor from SI.com and it says the possibility of the Knicks getting Tracy McGrady is still alive.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/158311-knicks-still-in-hunt-for-mcgrady?eref=fromSI

Well, I just had my swing full all those days so that I just missed out on the All-Star, so did those trade rumors and articles out there. Deep down I'm still thinking the deal with Chicago would be the best one for both sides, but the Knicks if they offer Toney Douglas in the package, I'll take it any day of the week. :grin:

7. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Well thats to bad for the knicks, because were not going to buy him out, I guess Tyrus Thomas + Chicago's 1st pick(lottery protected)+ fillers it is..... :eek:

--RB

8. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Did this article really deserve its own thread?

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Why is it whenever Yahoo reports a deal is in place for the rockets there is a competing article saying its almost completely false? Blazers, Dallas didn't even hint at trades one shows up on the front page as rumor.. its done within a day.. That is pretty annoying.. These are reputable guy saying we have deals in place too..

Roller coaster of emotions..

10. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Knicks-could-throw-Hill-into-McGrady-deal?urn=nba,219915

Guess it comes down to who you find more reliable, The New York Post, Or The NY Daily News.

11. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

a buyout won't rid them of jeffries contract. they need to trade jeffries to have a chance of keep lee on top of having a max offer. the only way to do that is to trade with the rockets.

so how much is david lee worth to them? i'd say about 2 first round picks and jordan hill.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Define: 'close'.

Is it the 19th yet?

14. tingYAO

tingYAO Member

Shut up... What else is there to talk about.

15. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

this is clearly a desperation move and a bluff at the same time. Walsh saw the animated Morey video and is trying to temporarily patch his image before Dork Elvis Pummels his ass.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

I can believe that it could get done today. I'm sure Morey wants a chance to explore other trades before the deadline.

18. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

True. I mean, Kelly Clarkson sold more records than Led Zeppelin last year. That doesn't mean she's better. Right? ;)

19. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Exactly. That is why I think Walsh WILL give up on Hill. He just wants to get rid of Jeffries.

20. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

LOL exactly