1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft live right now -- come join us!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

NY Daily News: Darko offered to ATL for Harrington...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by countingcrow, Jul 26, 2005.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

Had they drafted either Melo, Wade, Bosh, they would have beaten the spurs this year.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

No for numerous reasons:
    1. Darko is entering the last guaranteed year of his rookie deal. If Detroit wants to be rid of his contract, they decline his option next year. Expiring contracts offer no financial flexibility that they don't already have.

2. Darko at $5 million this year is at least as productive as the likes of Moochie, Spoon, or Baker. He's also very likely to see some PT this season.

3. As of now, the Pistons will already be under the cap next year. They are in zero danger of hitting the luxury tax. They don't need to worry about losing a bad contract.

To get Darko, we'd need to do what Atl is doing and offer a ready-to-play guy that is good enough to make it worth their while to risk seeing Darko pull a Jermaine O'Neal.

3. fa7999

fa7999 Member

I am willing to offer Detroit Juan for Darko + filler. It's not totally out of question that he pulls a JO down the road. Dude is still young and not yet 20 years old.

4. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

You have to be able to get something better than Darko for Harrington.

#24 Chilly_Pete, Jul 26, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Don't trade me to Detroit! :eek:

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

What is wrong with you Juan, having a minimum of 80% of Darko's salary isn't enough? Sign me up man, I'll volunteer. I'll go and beat Chancey out his job.

7. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Mark my words:

Darko Milicic will be a player in the NBA.

Just not a good one.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Who's Tyrone Liu? Is he a black chinese guy? :D

But Darko is still a valuable player. There is no doubt that this guy has played like absolute crap (when he gets to play). But he is still a #2 overall pick and is still very, very young. There are guys that can drastically improve with playing time and some confidence and Darko could be one of them.

9. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Atlanta is going to be an up and coming team now....they look like they may have gotten this player movement thing down, and they have a kick ass stadium

10. Yaomania345

Yaomania345 Member

We have no chance at getting Darko nor would the Rockets waste their time with Darko. Juwan Howard and his contract dont compare to Al Harrington and his.

11. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Darko should (and will) go back to Europe where he belongs. He wasn't a good player in the Euro league when he was drafted. He will flop this year when he gets playing time and no NBA team will offer him very much money. He simply cannot handle NBA speed and intensity. Darko is a good example of drafting someone on "potential" only.

Yes, he is very young. Maybe he will grow up, start practicing hard, show some intensity and become a serviceable player. Don't hold your breath.

12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Where have you been? I thought you got thrown out with the moldy cucumbers? :)

13. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Darko will stay in the league just because of the fact that you can't teach 7'0". I think with a change of scenery he very well might pull a JO, but nobody will ever know unless he gets PT.

Detroit needs a backup swingman. Maybe Danny Ainge should offer Ricky D. + a pick

14. thatboyz

thatboyz Contributing Member

I doubt that, if they had 'Melo, Tayshaun wouldn't have started throughout the year. So even if they made the finals, they wouldn't have developed Tayshaun to the point where he could lock down Kobe the way he almost did by himself....

15. Stickfigure

Stickfigure Member

Basically, anything the Pistons can get for (or could have gotten instead of) Darko would be a plus. Darko has been a complete zero, even pulling a Skita and breaking his hand in garbage time on one of the few occasions he was actually allowed to play. Even if the Pistons had taken Melo and played him 10 mpg as a backup to Tayshaun, that would still be a lot more value for their #2 pick than they've gotten so far.

I agree that the Detroit frontcourt is pretty overloaded, though, and Maxiell sounds like a keeper. I know Rip Hamilton is Mr. Conditioning, but you'd think a backup at the 1 or 2 would go a long way. And Atlanta will have nothing BUT backcourt players and SFs once they end up saddled with the Joe Johnson contract.

16. Stickfigure

Stickfigure Member

Replace "Darko" with "DeSagana" and tell me if your premise still holds true.