1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY-9 and NV-2 Race Results

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tallanvor, Sep 13, 2011.

1. esteban

esteban Member

FYI: I gave up a long time ago trying to have a dialogue with lefties. Liberalism is a mental disorder so how can you have any kind of rational discussions.

Esteban

1 person likes this.
  2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Funny, I feel sane, content and even when the political tide is against me I still am able to function and don't feel consumed with rage.

I can even acknowledge the other side has some valid points (we can't rely on massive debt forever, I just think this is the worst time possible to go on a spending "austerity kick".

Even when I was relatively sure Gore had the election stolen from him resulting in electing a man I was certain would send the country to hell in a handbasket, I was only blood pressure rising angry for days until I got involved with some grass-roots local stuff and felt better.

Meanwhile a lot of the conservatives I know fill their facebook pages (and my e-mail inbox) with the most vitriolic, angry, borderline threatening anti-Obama nonsense I have ever seen all because a moderate, pro-corporate Democrat with a little skin pigmentation is in the White House.

I worry about their health because the tone of their "commentary" makes me think their blood pressure is so high they are bleeding from the eyes.

So yeah, if I have a mental disorder...if my choices of medication are Conservatism or Thorazine...I'll take the Thorazine, probably better for ya.

1 person likes this.
  4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

[​IMG]

dey trollin

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Ironically the Nevada race should be more worrying than the New York race for Democrats.

The New York district is an odd one. It's dominated primarily by Orthodox Jews and staunch Catholics. The democratic candidate was Jewish and the Republican candidate was Catholic. In this case, a lot of the Jews switched sides primarily on social issues. While Weprin (the democratic candidate) is an Orthodox Jew by birth he's actually fairly liberal on a lot of social issues (gay marriage in particular) and this really threw off a lot of his support. Also, while the district has voted for democrats in the past, the demographics have been shifting solidly to the right. This is the typical working class but socially conservative neighborhood that the democrats don't quite know how to approach. Their left of center social policies do enough damage to cost an election in this type of district.

Also more importantly Turner ran the better campaign but this is such an unusual district so I find it difficult to draw conclusions.

The Nevada district on the other hand is the reverse. While solidly Republican, it has been shifting democratic so one would expect at least a close race since Obama did relatively well here. Instead, the democrats got destroyed. Additionally there aren't weird demographic quirks like in New York.

That said the previous two special elections (also in New York and one in california) went Democratic in similar political environments. I think as a whole these elections are less meaningful because their voting population tends to be much smaller (around 30% of normal turnout) and consequently less representative of a general election (since in cases like the New York election the demographic quirks become more obvious outliers in smaller samples)

Either way I'd be worried about Nevada and less so about New York. But to suggest this is some massive referendum on the Democrats is pretty silly. Just so we dont forget Democrats also won Congressional special elections before 2010 which clearly didn't mean anything.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Related to my earlier post:
    [​IMG]

7. ILoveTheRockets

Um... Isn't Israel more racist of a nation than America?

those tards hate any thing black besides their shirts and pants.

8. ILoveTheRockets

funny how you say that, but yet the GOP's best president ever had liberal idea's.

This nation was built off liberal values. I guess George Washington would have been a pot smoking thug in today's world. No matter how great of a leader he was.

9. cml750

cml750 Member

The NY-9 results show Obama's insane policies towards Israel are hurting him. He is losing the Jewish vote.

10. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Man, well said. Well said. So how do we change the dynamic of the country? People need to rally around the common good of the country without all the extremism and moral high groundism. I'm ready to move this country forward.

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

There isn't one idea in your post. The 'I am above all the politics' attitude is so obnoxious. If you have an idea throw it out there. all your doing is demeaning the people who are trying to push their ideas forward.

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Why would they conduct Operation Moses and Operation Solomon (the combined evacuation of some 20000 Ethiopian Jews to Israel) if they hated black people?

13. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Both sides are ridiculous. Until the silent center speak up and take over the conversation, we're stuck with extremist insanity and inane polarization.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

All very debatable statements; however I'll agree that this nation was founded off of some modern liberal values.. the problem is neither party today is representative of ethics that the founding fathers hoped for. That's my opinion at least.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That's a horrible way to think esteban. The best way to debate is to assume your opponent is a smart, reasonable person and address them as such.

I'm not a fan of political partisanship. In fact, I really really despise it. I'd rather discuss politics in terms of root problems and possible fixes; I'd really rather not discuss the people element at all, I think as soon as you bring someone's name into the conversation is becomes unproductive. In fact, just injecting the words 'conservative' or 'liberal' into a conversation makes it unproductive as people get carried away with connotations and biases. This is why I don't post in D&D enough to become predictable and earn myself enemies who construct their arguments on pretense.

Every political problem has a root cause, and civil discussion should provide a solution that addresses the cause without any partisan insulting whatsoever. This is my philosophy, anyway.