1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nuggets Supposedly Rejected Piston's Offer For Melo

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Tornadoofsoul6, Jun 21, 2008.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What exactly has Mello done to make him a 'head case' ? There is the 'snitch' video, the dui, and a recent speeding charge -- am I missing something ?

Melo is a rare young ultra-star in the league who is also at the age when most young men start to get "it" -- I think trading a big stage proven champion like Anthony would be a huge mistake.

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

What I've read is Karl wants Melo traded while their FO think Melo has the potential to be as good as Michael Jordan.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...carmelo+fight&ei=NYBeSL21BYmSrwKA5dGLDg&hl=en

There's this famous demonstration of his lateral quickness.

4. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

He's definitely underrated on this board.

5. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

you cant win with Melo on the team, he only looks to score and hold the ball worse than Tmac does. Karl looks like he has no more desire to coach anymore as well

6. KingCheetah

7. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

8. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Since that's something even CLOSE to the NBA.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

was denver in the playoffs before he got there? they had 8 consecutive losing seasons and made the playoffs his rookie year, when he was still 19.

10. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Melo was hardly the only difference between that year's team and the ones before.

11. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I don't have anything to add to this. But hey, it gives you guys another thread to b**** about Melo, so rock on.

12. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Melo is a young Paul Pierce.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't think they should trade him. Denver needs to add more experienced and mature players but they should give Melo time to grow. From a skill point of view Melo is close to a young Paul Pierce on offense. Pierce was more mature mentally and a better defender even when he was younger as compared to Melo.
    Anthony has the potential to be a solid defender as well.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I have no clue why Detroit would do this deal. Melo is good for some bad press and possibly legal trouble each season. Detroit needs someone who is going to come in and raise the bar for those veterans. I don't mean vocally but by leading by example. Those Detroit guys are too old to listen to another player who preaches to them but I believe if some guy came in, worked his butt off and stayed professional you would see the pride from the other guys on that team kick in. The Detroit veterans seem to slack as a collective unit and feed off each other's complacency. They need a workaholic type player to reintroduce them to working hard and staying humble and focused.

Bringing in a talented malcontent isn't going help with the complacency and arrogance of that squad. It will only make it worse.

15. KingCheetah

This is an excellent analogy -- and Melo isn't even close to the level Paul Pierce was when he was young.
    _____

Trading Melo would be crazy -- end of story.

16. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Actually he is, look at how much Pp scored in his first 5 seasons and look t what Carmelo has done IN THE WEST

17. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Detroit is somewhat boxed in on doing major changes. Between a mix of complacency and the starters being to show some age, they appear to have peaked.

Other competitive Eastern Conference teams aren't likely to be interested in doing any significant deals with Detroit for fear of reinvigorating them and Dumars would likely prefer to send his traded players to the Western Conference to minimize their appearance against Detroit. The weaker (Lottery) Eastern Conference teams either have their own expensive Veterans that they would like to move or are in a rebuild - youth mode and have no need for the Detroit veterans.

That brings Dumars to shopping in the Western Conference.

Seattle -- youth movement

Portland -- youth movement
    Roy would do wonders for the Pistons, but doubtful that Portland is really interested unless Dumars comes up with a jawdropper package. Based on what he offered for Melo, Dumars hasn't resolved to do that yet.

Golden State
    I don't see anybody that is an attention grabber for Dumars.

Lakers
    Pau, Rad, Walton and Odom don't excite.

Suns
    Shaq has already crested the Hill. It would be interesting to see if the Pistons could teach Amare some defense, but again Dumars would have to send out a jawdropper package.

Utah
    Can't imagine the Jazz trading their core of Boozer and Williams.

Minnesota
    Youth movement, no Veterans needed.

Denver
    Already mentioned in this thread

Dallas
    Howard is on a lower tier than Melo, Amare, McGrady, Roy etc. With Howard being on the market and the willingness of Cuban to make deals and take salary, Dumars might be giving them a call if he fails on other efforts.

Spurs
    Other than the core of Duncan, Manu and Parker............nothing interesting for Dumars

New Orleans
    Other than CP, nothing to really put Detroit back on top.

Houston
    Already being discussed in the GARM.

So Dumars will either have to come up with a better trade package to pry an upper tier player away or will have to go shopping on a lower tier if he isn't interested in giving up more value.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Mango,

I think Detroit is in better shape than you would have them-- they got young guys like Maxiell and Stuckey coming up as Wallace, Billups, etc. get older.

19. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Clippers have lots of talent.

Sacramento has Artest and Martin

Memphis has Miller, Gay

20. KingCheetah

Sorry, I can see how my post could be misread -- I wasn't clear. What I meant is that Paul has been involved in much more serious off court incidents early in his career, but has turned it around and been named a finals mvp.

I don't think we'll ever know all the events leading up to Paul being stabbed, but he certainly hadn't put himself in the best situation.

Their play and numbers are of course very comparable - especially the 3rd year on.