1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nuggets sign J.R. Smith to multi-year deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by batkins, Aug 22, 2008.

1. kupogrey

kupogrey Member

I'm not sure of how well nba live took track of shots.

2. Dei

Dei Member

More like your prior assessment is incomplete. You consider your readers dumb to take into consideration mid-range shooting when you offer a shot chart that is comparing one guy who took 63 shots, the whole season, vs. others who made 400+ and calling that person a lights out shooter?

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Does 3-point shooting not count? If so, how can you consider shooting over 40% from all 5 areas delineated in the chart not shooting lights out considering the number of shots he took? Are you saying that if a player doesn't take a lot of mid-range shots that they can't be considered lights out shooters? I guess Brent Barry isn't on your list, either.

Again, when Smith was on the floor, he spent a lot of time on the perimeter to open up the court for other players. And I never said that a reader had to consider mid-range shooting. I just posted his entire shot chart and made the statement that he was an outstanding shooter last season. Each reader can interpret it as they choose.

What is your point here? That Smith didn't take a lot of mid-range shots? If so, I agree. Thanks for sharing.

#23 BrooksBall, Aug 23, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I'm not sure that NBA Live did the tracking. They may just be a sponsor. Either way, I highly doubt there is much inaccuracy. I don't think NBA.com would allow too much bad player data on their site without verifying it.

5. kupogrey

kupogrey Member

deal.

6. fangzheng911

fangzheng911 Member

agree.

and jr.smith is a good piece of future,so they sign the gay.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He could start and average 20 PPG on some [bad] teams. If you get him for $5M a year or less you've got yourself one hell of a value regardless of how low his basketball IQ is.

8. matrix26

matrix26 Member

najeras deal was too much for them to pay and not getting a guy like hibbert will hardly hurt them. losing camby hurts but lets see what they do with that trade exception. getting jr for this deal is a great move for them.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I agree. He has holes in his game, but the price is right. If he didn't have these holes, he would be a lot more expensive.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

They didn't overpay. He's one of the most talented offensive players on the team and can sometimes look like a superstar. If his defense were acceptable he'd be getting Iggy-type money. Unfortunately, his defense isn't even good enough for the nuggets.

11. postaboi713

postaboi713 Member

damn dude averages 12 and a half points in 19 min coming off the bench. thats whats up!

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

First thing I thought to look at was his midrange numbers, and sure enough.... JR Smith's a straight chucker, pure and simple.
    But he's a maker.

13. wingz0

wingz0 Member

There was this blog article comparing the league's chuckers and JR Smith was far and away number 1.

But hey, you can't fault the guy for chucking if he's making his shots, regardless of how suspect his shot selection is.

To be fair, he does take it to the rim a fair bit, though whether or not it's a by-product of Denver's all-out running offense is another matter.