1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nugget Blogger-Do the Rockets have the assets to acquire Carmelo?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its all relative. Brooks only makes a few mil. If I was rebuilding I would want young players on cheap contracts.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Brooks will not be on a cheap contract after this year.

DD

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Do you take the things you say on this forum seriously anymore?

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The Rox, indeed, have the makings of a deal. So, too, do the Knixies: Curry (expiring), Gallinari, Randolph + #1s in '14 and '16 for Melo and JR...saves Nugs @$6mm, gives them two nice young ballplayers, and at the end of the season a huge salary cap gap. (Then they could likely trade C-Bill to Michaeland for Dampier's non-existent contract, Augustine, and another #1 or 2nd rounder.

The Nugs' rebuilding would be underway and they would not be bereft of NBA rotation guys. Would I do these if I were Denver? Only if Melo held a (proverbial) gangsta piece to their heads - but it would not be crazy dealing, either.

Let's see what the Brookville Nyets are truly willing to offer...

5. Ender00

Ender00 Member

I want to know what they think is a fair trade for Carmelo from each team?

6. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I personally don't agree with his write-up. He makes it seem like it'd be a straight up trade with one for one. If that was the case, then yeah, we'd be SOL.

But that's not how it works. I think we can provide the best combination of young talent (Jordan Hill, Aaron Brooks), expiring contracts (Shane Battier, Jared Jeffries) and draft picks (New York's).

Why wouldn't Denver want Brooks, who can eventually replace Billups? And why wouldn't Carmelo, if he really was focused on winning, not want to come to Houston who would be an instant contender if he jumped ship? The Knicks and Clippers would be a fringe playoff team, and the Nets would barely sniff the 9th seed.

I fail to see the complication here. It's a win/win scenario for both Denver and Carmelo, but I guess I'm not seeing their viewpoint.

Also: What if Favors turns out to be a bust? You can't bet your entire future on an unproven draft pick. Would it not be better to settle with a young guy fresh off a MIP trophy? And thinking Luol Deng or Gallinari can replace Carmelo? :confused:

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The Clips could be tough (if BD is motivated) with two Lottos: Griffin and Aminu as well as nice pick-ups in Gomes and Foye (plus they have B-Cook).

The Nets, with health restored, plus returners like Lopez, Harris and Williams and pick-ups Outlaw, Murphy, Favors, Morrow and Farmer should challenge for 7th place in the East.

Neither will be a push-over; and the Knixies will threaten .500.

8. DaDakota

Of course, I enjoy reading other fans perspectives.....so what?

DD

9. Blunt

Blunt Member

Just a nobody like you and me, with nothing but time so he writes about a subject that has already been thrown around for more than a month now.

GARBAGE.

10. DaDakota

The difference is that he is willing to put the work in and put himself out there for people to pick apart.

I admire folks that are willing to take a stand, whether I agree with it or not.

DD

11. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Would you admire someone if they took a stand against Budinger or Brooks?

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Bias is something that happens when you overvalue a player because he is on your team rather than on another's.

Kevin Martin may be valued highly by many Rockets fans now, but honestly those of us in the know also really really coveted him when he was on the Kings. I don't think it's biased of Rockets fans to consider him a true all-star quality SG, because that's what he was in SAC and that's what he is now.

Many of us arguing about Carmelo now were saying the same things about Martin before, and I almost feel there's a bit of anti-bias going around. Kevin Martin is old-hat. He's the used toy. He doesn't have new car smell anymore. Time to go out and get a shiny new weapon for the offense!

In reality I'd rather have Martin here at 12M than Melo at 18+M with a fresh new extension. Martin gives us flexibility still to sculpt the team in our GM's and coach's images. Melo does not.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Yes, madness is very brave blogger.

;)

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

You didn't really like Martin in Sacramento? I absolutely LOVED him during his Kings days. If anything, I actually like him less now as a Rocket due to his injury history. But take out his injury issues, and the guy was amazing.

I don't know how an efficient 25ppg SG can possibly be undervalued, except by ignorant fans who pass judgment on players they have no clue about.

15. DaDakota

Of course....you don't have to agree with them, but to put yourself out there in a blog is admirable.

It is easy to criticize.....and doesn't take any guts.....but taking a stand, putting it out there for everyone to read whether popular or not, that is an admirable trait.

DD

16. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Wow, this fool wrote off Kevin Martin like he is trash... "Grossly overpaid" is a bit of a stretch, and "similar to JR Smith" is just flat-out ridiculous... :rolleyes:

17. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

LIKE!

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

A huge portion of what he said was inaccurate and/or misinformed. You know that and I know that.

19. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

I think the Knicks have a good shot of falling out of the playoffs if Carmelo gets traded to a non-knicks team.

last year the standings were
    playoffs: Cleveland, Orlando, Atlanta, Boston, Miami, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Chicago
    lottery: Toronto, Indiana, New York, Detroit, Philadelphia, Washington, New Jersey

for the upcoming season, it's almost certain that toronto and detroit will miss the playoffs. Their rosters are terrible and they have no plan. Cleveland can probably be added to that although if they make a few trades there's an outside shot that they could sneak in.

Miami, Boston, Orlando are locks for the playoffs. Atlanta and Chicago have solid squads so barring injuries they'll be in. Washington has benefited greatly from the emergence of Andray Blatche. People forget that they have a lot of talent on their team, but were screwed over for the last 3 years from Gilbert Arenas' contract and his injury/antics. However, he's still an elite scorer and if he doesn't do stupid things again this year I think Washington is a lock. I mean really, they have blatche, john wall, arenas, and al thornton, and veterans like josh howard (who used to be an all-star SF) and kirk hinrich. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a top 5 seed. The bucks have really promising young talent in CDR, jennings, and salmons. They have a good/great center in bogut. and they acquired an efficient scorer in maggette; they'll be in, especially if redd stops being terrible and terribly injured.

That leaves 1 spot between charlotte, indiana, new york, philadelphia, and new jersey.

If Melo is traded to new jersey for favors+murphy+picks, that squad will definitely make the playoffs. Which leaves new york out of the running.

20. DaDakota

It is his opinion Dave, he may not be right on some things, but he is looking at it from a Nuggets perspective.

While everyone in here is deep in Rockets Rose colored perspective.

I enjoy reading what other fans in other cities think......whether it is accurate according to our thoughts or not.

DD