1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nude statue covered up in Conroe, Tx

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockHEAD, Sep 24, 2002.

1. mav3434

mav3434 Member

Without getting into the specifics, even if this did fall into a category of lesser protected speech, (which it doesn't), David would be well within even the strictest permissible constitutional boundaries, mostly because it is universally recognized as being amoung the single greatest works of art ever created and its camp value on top of an Oshmans alone far outweighs the harm to sexually repressed losers from Montgomery county.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Good for you. And good for them. These people don't want it in a shopping center in their community. You can still see all the schlong you want in whatever museum you want, just not at the Oshman's in Conroe. An inconvenience, I know.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I would not have any problem with this statue being up in a playground.

Where does it matter where I saw it? Like I'd end up some immoral satanist had I seen it in front of the store where I got my sneakers. :rolleyes:

4. TheFreak

Is that supposed to be an analogy?

I choose to pay for internet access. I choose to go on the internet, I choose to go to this website, I choose to click on this thread, knowing that I may come across a rock schlong (look, the title of the thread says "nude statue" in it...). I assume that risk myself, as do the people who may not want to read my objectionable post. If I choose to go to a local shopping center, I shouldn't expect to see a schlong statue on the roof of one of the stores. I personally wouldn't care, but some people do, and that's understandable to me, especially since it's their community. What I don't get is why it's apparently such a big deal for so many others. Do you normally go to the Oshman's in Conroe to get your "art" fix? Does this put a crimp in your routine?

5. TheFreak

I believe you.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you'll get no argument from me...i think it's a waste of time...i don't see anything particularly wrong with it...i don't find it distasteful...

7. dimsie

dimsie Member

God, this is so r****ded. Half the population of the world has one! It's a *penis*. A way under average sized, flaccid, non-active 'schlong' which just happens to be attached to a replica of an incredibly famous artwork. It's hardly like David is bending the Venus de Milo over a Caddy in the parking lot. Although I'd contribute to a fund to have *that* statue, um, erected. ;)

Why is a penis objectionable at all? To anyone? It's a bloody *body part*.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, if the wackos like you and those in Montgomery County don't like it, they shouldn't ****ing shop there.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Good. Unlike you, I don't like censorship and want my future children to be exposed to the arts.

Nice Andrew W.K. picture BTW.

:rolleyes:

10. TheFreak

Wait, I already said the thing didn't bother me...why am I a "wacko"? Oh, because we have a difference of opinion. Gotcha.

More like the people who live in Montgomery County and are furious over this should either move somewhere else or go to Commissioners Court and try to get the schlong uncovered.

11. mav3434

mav3434 Member

The analogy works fine. Go ahead and split hairs to justify your acceptance of intolerance though, nothing like a little bin ladenism.

But here's another analogy if you want it: What if there was a Bin laden sympathizer US citizen living in Conroe and he hated the US. THen, when Oshmans put up an American Flag on September 11, he got offended by it, since he hates the US and its imperialism. So he grabs a bunch of his buddies who also hate the US and applies pressure to the Oshman's store owner who takes it down.

Does the Freak come on to the BBS the next day and post "do you normally go to the Oshman's in Conroe to get your "patriotism" fix?" Yeah, Sure you would. :rolleyes:

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think anyone who finds this bothersome, or supports those who are making such a big deal about this, is a wacko.

You seem to be falling into that description unless you're playing your devil's advocate role again.

13. TheFreak

Yep, I LOVE censorship. Can't get enough of it.

Are you going to expose them to the arts by taking them to the Oshman's in Shenandoah, Texas? Looks like their exposure may be a tad limited then.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No, I'm not. But what does that have to do with anything? You think art should be confined to museums?

15. right1

right1 Member

That last sentence scared me:eek: .

16. dimsie

dimsie Member

:D Bloody in the swearing sense, not the literal sense.

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

It's the heart of the issue that's most important. This is supposed to be america, and more and more censorship is springing up all over the place. Freak, what do you think about people banning Harry Potter? It's the same Puritan wackos who are still living in the Salem witch trial days that are doing this. Harry is a wizard, that makes him evil, that offends me, get rid of those books. David is naked man statue, that is evil, it offends me, get rid of it. Is it stupid for Oshman's to have that statue there, yes, but that doesn't give people the right to use to govt to force Oshman's or a school to ban things. If the people of Montgomery County objected to that statue, all they had to do is stay away. If Oshman's loses too much business, then they can decide what they want to do from there, though I imagine the majority of people in Montgomery didn't even care, one way or the other. Same thing with Harry Potter, just don't read it if you think it is evil.

18. TheFreak

Intolerance? Geez.

In your analogy, the flag gets taken down. In this case, the statue is STILL THERE. But here is how I would respond to your "analogy" -- those people would be within their rights to complain. I would think they were being silly, just like I think these people in Conroe are being silly. However, they are within their rights.

The thing is, if there is outrage in the community over this, the schlong will be revealed. There would be outrage in your example, so the flag would never be taken down, or if it were, it would most surely be put back up at a later date due to public outcry. I'm fine with letting the community handle this (non-) "issue".

19. TheFreak

If you consider letting the community handle it to be "supporting", then I guess I'm wacko. I've been called worse.

"Art" can be wherever the community wants it to be. The point is this doesn't affect you or anyone else's ability to expose their children to the arts.

Oski, I'm not familiar enough with the Harry Potter thing to comment. If you want to give me more background on that I'll try to give my opinion.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Actually...I'd like to know TheFreak's threshold for when a community can decide what should be censored or not. Is it a simple majority, or does it take over 75% of the population? Or, is the combination of a vocal minority and an apathetic majority good enough for censorship?

Should someone be allowed to censor something on the thinking that if the rest of the community cared, then they'd say something about it? That's pretty scary.

#40 Rocketman95, Sep 25, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2002