1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NRG turf

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by joeson332, Dec 10, 2014.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Go with the Astroturf. Concrete with carpet on top.

[​IMG]

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

LOL, considering how poor houston football turf used to be I'm shocked people are flipping out over real grass over wooden pallets. Like a trampoline.

3. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Larger trays solves the problem.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

One large tray.

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I cant believe they thought that grass on top of pallets was a good idea

6. mick fry

mick fry Member

Just move back to the Dome and have a dedicated field already. Geeesh.

7. conquistador#11

is astroturf still used by any nfl or college teams? detroit lions?

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The old, short pile nylon? Nobody uses that type of turf anymore for anything other than field hockey.

Many NFL and college and high schools use the new generation of turf which, if properly maintained, is just as safe as natural. Most NFL teams get new fields every 3-4 years (lifespan is typically 8 years), so they're typically getting the newest and best technology available. The company I was working for has a turf now that will start to become very popular here (already is in Europe). It's woven so that it's non-directional in how the grass lays over. Helps improve footing, longevity of the system, and it looks really nice.

9. Buck Turgidson

This just makes too much sense.

10. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

NRG's turf is responsible for fitzpatricks injury too..

11. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

idk man, maybe because we play HALF OF OUR GAMES IN THIS STADIUM!

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

The turf in Indianapolis injured two of our QB's in one game. Turf should be banned!

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure the NRG turf is the reason oil prices are dropping.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

fitzy injured on a illegal trip/leg whip that should have been flagged and savage was a low hit that also should have been flagged.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Calm down. They are joking.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Did you hear of ISIS before the NRG turf?

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

Or Ebola? :confused:

18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The company AstroTurf makes the new style of artificial grass that you see everywhere. That is the turf that NRG uses for high school games and the dome in St. Louis.

Field Turf is the company that has the most installations in the NFL. In addition to most domes, the Pats and Seahawks use them in their stadiums.

There are also hybrid fields that Philly, Greenbay and Denver use. It's natural grass with rubber like fibers.

New York, Baltimore and Cleveland also use a brand of artificial turf.

Basically, artificial turf was popular in the 70s-90s. You saw it in Cincy, Pittsburgh and other cities then everyone went back to natural grass. The artificial turf companies adapted and now you see a lot of teams going back to it. The fake grass is a better alternative to dead grass spray painted green.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

it's obvious they are joking but i couldn't miss the opportunity to remind everyone how lucky the colts are and otherwise a ****ty team. also couldn't miss the opportunity to **** on the nfl/goodell and it's player safety hypocrisy when 2 of our QBs are taken out and plays that should have been flagged but weren't.

btw... same game where i think crick close lined luck near the neck but pulled back and yet was still flagged. i think luck maybe just swallowed a bit harder from the contact but otherwise was fine. our dudes have to be taken out in a air cast and the other guy is could barely move and had a punter warming up. later that day i saw russ wilson get hit right between the numbers and it was flagged on a key 3rd down in favor of the seahawks, game changer. this is today's ****ty nfl... luck/wilson are somebody's and fitz/savage are nobody's.

20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

woahhh buddy hold it right there.

BIG assumption bob mccheap would spend the money to 'properly maintain.'

real stadiums with willingness to spend the money will do things in the name of quality. these are normal costs that non stingy owners like mcnair would never dream of. You can count on mccheap to let you down in that regard.

I would love to hear from the sh**itshow that must be all of mcnairs other expenses. I bet they have a guy making two ply into one ply. but then the labor cost for that must hurt mccheap as well. But you gotta do what you gotta do when you are an extreme cheapskate.

how many people are going to get injured to where we actually have to physically remove this owner? And you can count on it being money if they are so worried about a lawsuirt that they will continue to operate at a known hazard. Again cash rules everything around mccheap cream.

..and how long will mccheap hold out? This is downright sad actually.

this is what real spending and real stadium care looks like:

[​IMG]

shudder the meticulous and actual CARE
    If mccheap could get everyone to pay to watch it on a dirt field at his ranch he would try.

mccheap strikes again. class ownership I tell ya

1 person likes this.