1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NOW THIS IS VERY COOL: Home Run Derby Field is set......

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tigereye, Jul 9, 2004.

1. tigereye

tigereye Member

NEW YORK -- Barry Bonds of the San Francisco Giants and Hank Blalock of the Texas Rangers were added to next week's All-Star Home Run Derby, filling out the field of eight competitors.

Bonds, Philadelphia's Jim Thome, Cincinnati's Ken Griffey Jr. and the Cubs' Sammy Sosa will represent the National League on Monday night in Houston.

The AL participants are Blalock, New York's Jason Giambi, Boston's David Ortiz and Baltimore's Rafael Palmeiro.

All four active players with 500 homers will compete: Bonds (681), Sosa (553), Palmeiro (540) and Griffey (500). Thome, who hit his 400th home run last month, connected for his major league-leading 28th of the season Thursday night.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wow.... 7 leftys, and only 1 righty (Sosa).

You think MLB doesn't want any cheap crawford box HR's for this???:D :D :D

But, it doesn't really bode well for fans who are plannin on lining Crawford St. for some long-balls (even though Bonds, Griffey, etc. can hit them all over the place).

3. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

I am still tempted to go out to Crawford Street to experience the event. I was hoping Vlad would be in it for the American League. Dunn would have been nice due to his area connection, but I cannot argue with any of the guys on the National League.

As a fan, which players would you like to see crush balls at MMP.
    I would be in favor of the guys that crush the ball over those who get those squeekers over the fence. Here is my list of current players:

National American

Sosa Delgado
    Bonds Vlad
    Thome A-Rod
    Dunn Ortiz
    Sexson Giambi
    Griffey Manny

IIRC, Sexson has the longest HR at MMP after that blast to center half-way-up the flag pole last year. Mostly I am glad that Piazza is not in it. That guy might have been the worst HR exhibition hitter ever.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Anybody else going to any of these events?? The game and/or the derby??

5. lnghrn4life

lnghrn4life Member

I will be at the game and derby,seats not that great but i am not complaining by any means, Section 425 row 2

6. hjg877

hjg877 Member

Wow, didn't know Bonds will be there!

I'll find out tonight if I'm headed to H-town, and if I do I'll be outside left field (along with the other 5,000 or so people with the same intention) during the HRD.

Boston in '99 had all of those people behind the Green Monster; can't imagine what it will be like in Houston! :eek:

Will it rain?

7. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I assume they will keep the roof open for hr derby.. or will they think it's too hot for the "out of town visitors"?

8. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

I was listening on 610 this morning and Jeremy Foster brought up this subject. He said they are planning to keep the roof CLOSED for some stupid reason.

If that is indeed true then the I can only think of a couple main reasons. It is either a major security issue where MLB/ Astros can not have the random 100's of fans blocking an important street, or they don't want to let the hot Houston heat cause the executives to complain for future All-Star game considerations, or they are just not thinking straight marketing wise to please ALL the fans.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

they had a disaster with texas heat at the ballpark in arlington. i would imagine MLB wouldn't want to repeat that.

10. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

I was afraid of that. Keeping the roof shut during the derby is ridiculous. I'm glad I know about it now though so I don't waste my time going down there.

11. AsianBoy

AsianBoy Contributing Member

Do you guys know what event is on Sunday is it the homerun derby?

12. Gortok

Gortok Member

Reported on 610 radio about 20 minutes ago.. roof closed for the derby...

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I can't wait...

14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I heard they going to be open it for the final round.

Man, I need to get my ass some more schooling.

#14 Roc Paint, Jul 9, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
  15. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

couldn't believe when i saw this list on espn a few days ago. this is like the vince, tmac, kobe dunk contest everyone wants to see.

wanted bonds because he's so damn good and sosa because he hits them farther than anyone right now. and who can complain about thome and griffey. excellent field.

sucks that only one will be crawford boxing it (and that the roof will be closed at that) but watching balls smash way off the top of the closed glass part of the wall will still be cool.

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Couldnt they keep a portion of the roof open?

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The whole idea of keeping the roof closed would be the comfort of air-conditioning... that's it. For that to happen, the entire roof must remain shut.

If they keep the thing shut all day (pumping the air in full blast), then as they're introducing the players, start opening the roof... there should be enough lingering air conditioning to keep everybody comfortable, and allow the fans outside to see some HR balls.

Honestly... I don't even know if the Astros have any say in this. This sounds like the Super Bowl all over again, where the NFL was calling all the shots.

Thus, they're probably not going to be familiar with how the roof operates (nor do they probably have the time to care to figure it out), and they're probably taking the simple/safe road and saying it should be shut.

18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Speaking of the HR Derby, they released some more tickets this morning at ticketmaster.com for face value that are only on sale until 6 tonight. The only seats available together are in the upper deck, but if you want to go it does get you in the door. And there are still lower level tickets available if you would take singles. The prices seem to be between 50 and 100 bucks.

Home Run Derby Tickets

I wasn't planning on going, but it's a really fun event (I went a few years ago when it was in Atlanta) and I may go since its now for face value instead of the ridiculous prices they want on ebay. Just passing the link along as it apparently is an "mlb.com subscribers" only offer - at least that's what it said in the email.

19. Barfo10

Barfo10 Member

I picked up some tickets in section 434 on the 12th row. I figure its a once in a lifetime thing so what the hell. Too bad the roof will be closed. I bet these guys can really crush the ball over the tracks!

20. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

Thanks for the head up, I picked up a couple seats.