1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now Paul Pierce?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Jun 11, 2004.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So what?? I've never heard the theory that the more shots you take, the further your percentage goes down. I could argue that the more shots you take your percentage goes up because you shoot yourself into a rhytm.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Assists Per Game

Paule Pierce- 3.6
    Michael Jordan- 5.3
    Clyde Dexler- 5.6
    T-Mac- 5.5 past 2 years
    Iverson 5.7

Pre-emptive argument: I won't argue that Pierce is a great passer, but he is improving. Pierce has increased his assists every year.

1998- 2.4
    1999- 3.0
    2000- 3.1
    2001- 3.2
    2002- 4.4
    2003- 5.1

Steve Francis' assists have gone down slightly over his career.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

My point isn't whether he's a great passer or not. My point is all these other guards are getting turnovers trying to get others involved while Pierce is getting them jacking up shots. He's not a good decision maker.

4. New Jack

New Jack Member

The amount of stamina it takes to throw up +20 shots has to hurt a players fg%, especially when you consider that if a player is taking that many shots, the defense is probably gearing themselves solely on stopping that player.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Michael Jordan is a career 50% shooter. Almost every scorer in the NBA higher percentage than Pierce.

6. New Jack

New Jack Member

I’ll put it this way, Yao Ming shoots 52% from the field taking about 16 shots per game. Now raise that number to about 23-25 shots a game.

Do you honestly think that fg% would improve?

7. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Hmmm. MJ was the best guard to ever play the game. His efficiency is his strength. Why are you comparing him to Paul Pierce?

If you're going to make this argument, why don't you research the stats to back it up. Go get the stats of similar guys, and then we'll have something to argue.

I swear, after reading this thread, I think you'll say anything to have the last word.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

My point was that's a dumbass theory. Second there's no way to prove the theory either way, but I bet if you looked all the seasons in the history of the NBA of players who averaged twenty five points or higher a game they shot higher percentages than Paul Pierce.

Last Word.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'd take either Pierce or T-Mac over Steve.

Seems ass-backward, though. I'd been imagining that it would make sense to send Steve to Boston, Pierce to Orlando, T-Mac to us. And someone claims the other way around?

Hmn.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Case in point, Pierce shot the highest and lowest percentages of his NBA career on the same amount of shots per game. 45% one year on 18.5 shots a game, 40% on 18.7 shots a game. There is no correlation between number of shots and field goal percentage.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I thought that too. With T-Mac mentioning us as his #1 option, the fact that Orlando shouldn't trade T-Mac in conference, I really think it should be the other way.

12. Hmm

Hmm Member

Tremendously? Hard d and Steve in the same sentence? Well, then, I must've really missed the entire season. Obviously I didn't. If I recall correctly, throughout the season Steve's "defensive" play, was constantly pointed out. Especially when PG's kept constantly going through him without a bit of trouble. And If I recall correctly again, Steve couldn't defend anyone throughout the regular season and post season, who wasn't named Payton.

If Steve improved his D tremendously, in that light and plays "hard d" now, then Cat turned from all offense into the best defensive gaurd in the league in one year.

Next thing you'll be telling me, is that Mo improved his rebounding drastically and hits the boards "hard".

13. New Jack

New Jack Member

You’re not taking into account how much more energy it takes for him to put up 18 shots when it’s a one man team, compared to when he had Walker (who was at his peak that season) with him.

If a player’s fg% is not affected by how many shots they take, there would be nothing stopping a player like Kobe from taking 30 shots a game and averaging +50 points.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There are other factors. Kobe has teamates who want shots. He has defenders who would key on him if he took all the shots. This is a silly argument. There is no correlation between. Of the last four seasons, Kobe shot his worst percentage shooting the least amount of shots per game in those four seasons.

15. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

when's the last time you watched T-Mac play? you're talking about the T-Mac of the Raptors 4 years ago. he hasn't play any D since his scoring avg. reach 20+. while i agree T-Mac is the best talant among the three on both ends of the floor he just doesn't play and D for the past 2 years, period.

16. acizlan

acizlan Member

y? so u r saying East is better than West because Detroit is winning???

17. Sane

Sane Member

My God, you really are in denial aren't you?

That's the whole point. Since Pierce has more defenders keying in on him, his % will go down.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Sane, I presented two shooting guards who statistics prove your silly theory wrong. And I'm in denial?? You made a dumb statement saying Pierce is a better shooter than Steve. Just admit it.

19. Sane

Sane Member

Not according to 80% of the board (check out my new thread).

Pierce is BY FAR the better shooter, and you know it. You're just so busy giving Steve a lapdance, you don't want to admit it.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Yes a poll prove who's a better a shooter.