1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now Paul Pierce?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Jun 11, 2004.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Pierce and Francis are both on Wheel of Fortune right now.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Pierce and his partner just won. I guess he is better.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

How is getting Pierce a MAJOR success? At best its a toss up.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

In my opinion, Pierce is a few notches above Steve and almost as good as T-Mac. His footwork is tremendous and he has a great outside shot. He also has good size and can run the floor. In 2001 he averaged 26.1 ppg and in 2002 he averaged 25.9 ppg.

He had an "off year" this past year with "only" 23.2 ppg. That's still pretty good. With JVG on him I think he can reduce his turnovers and increase his percentages.

5. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Pierce and Francis on wheel of fortune together... somethings brewing.

I thought I heard Pat SayJack whisper in Francis and Pierce's ear that a three way was about to go down, and it looked like Francis shockingly replied,

'say what Jack!"

and Pat said,

'no mr. igotmyvowelsmixedupcauseIwaslookingatvannawhitesass,

not that kind of threeway, a trade, ya dummy'

6. triplet

triplet Contributing Member

Isn't Doc Rivers gonna coach Celtics next season?

Didn't T-Mac and Doc have something going on in Orlando?

Hard to believe the reunification.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Pierce has done nothing better than Francis in the NBA but score a couple of more points and make the playoffs in the East. They're the same age. Their teams have had about the same amount of regular season success. There is no reason to think he would be a major upgrade over Steve.

8. triplet

triplet Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind having both Paul and Steve, and Elton :D

9. Ying Yang

Ying Yang Member

10. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

What are you confused about Yetti?

Is it because Steve was mentioned in this thread or was it because Yao was not?

Edit: I thought there were rules about multiple accounts.

11. Sane

Sane Member

Just a "few" points? :rolleyes:

That's your weakest argument yet.

What about the fact that he's a MUCH MUCH betetr shooter than Francis? That he can carry his team? That he's bigger and you always go for size when talent is equal?

He's not MUCH better than Francis, like T-Mac, but still clearly better.

12. sup123

sup123 Member

he not much better shooter than steve. they are about the same. They have about the same career averages. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/paul_pierce/index.html?nav=page
    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/steve_francis/index.html?nav=page

13. Sane

Sane Member

Paul is slightly better from the field for his career, and clearly betetr from 3-pt range. When you consider that Pierce shoots the ball WAY more than Steve and has never had a post presence, that's a prett ystrong indication that he's a better shooter.

14. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Offense: T-Mac > Pierce > Francis
    Defense: Pierce > Francis > T-Mac
    Attitude: Pierce > Francis > T-Mac
    Health: Pierce > Francis > T-Mac
    Heart: Francis > Pierce > T-Mac

T-Mac'd cost us more than Francis; I'd rather trade SF3 for Pierce straight up.

15. Hmm

Hmm Member

Wait what? Francis before T-mac on D?

Uhm, hate to break this bit of "news" to you, but Francis has never played an ounce of D in his life, couldn't even pull it off under a defensive minded coach lik JVG.
    However, T-mac USED to play defense, he has played that aspect of the game before. Back when he was in Toronto. What makes you think T-mac won't be even better defensively under JVG?
    And throw out the attitude argument of it, I mean really. As some have pointed out, Magic whined and so did Isiah. The important note on this is, like T-mac, they didn't let it affect their play come game time. So who cares who whines or who doesn't? Aslong as it doesn't affect their game, let em be whatever their personality desires them to be. The health part, alright, no argument there.
    The heart.. Here we go again, Francis has a lot of heart yet it gets him nowhere, need a brain to control that heart and use it in a positive light. No need to repeat it in elaboration. T-mac's lack of heart is always pointed out to his "quitting" pattern on teams, to me seeing T-mac's play in game and attitude after the game. It points towards a player who really wants more or expects more from his team, atleast to give as much as he does IN game. But, just doesn't receive those wants or expectations and gets somewhat "jaded" or disillusioned and hence the whining. To me it shows he has heart, just a sensitive one, bit childish. But he does have heart, I mean I'd believe otherwise, if I saw it dragging into his game. But, his game just speaks effort of how much heart he does have, but also, one with more intelligence than Steve.
    For the mere reason, he hasn't been repetatively stupid over his career. Lately he has become selfish, focused mainly offense and left his overall game of offense and defense back in toronto, but we can all tell where the reason for that lies. Just look at his team. I seriously believe a coach like JVG will really help him, and having a personality like Yao and player like him, will only add to it. Not to mention well balanced role players, who give it all their effort with growing intelligence around him, Cat, JJ and Boki.

So, yes, T-mac, come to Houston.

:p

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

My bad, Pierce has shot a whole one percent higher percentage from three range and about the same overall percentage from the field. You apparently don't even know what you're talking about so calm down.

Pierce plays in the East. When the Rockets won 45 games with no Yao in 00-01 the Celtics only won 36, the same as this season.

I think you have the weak argument son calling Pierce a much much better shooter. That's just ludicrous.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Careers

Pierce .432fg% .356 threepoint fg%
    Francis .431fg% .346 threepoint fg%

What in the hell are you talking about. You're just flat out wrong. A hundreth of a point better is what you're basing this judgement on. And you wonder why people say you guys just hate Francis.

18. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

People remember Paul's great years when he averaged 25ppg on 45% shooting and 40% from beyond the three point line. They forget when Steve shot 44% from the field and 39% from 3.

However, Pierce is much, MUCH more suited to the secondary scorer role than Francis. When he's not the focus of all the attention and gets clean looks from his teammates, he's an absolutely devastating scorer. He's at his best when someone else is dominating the ball and kicking it out to him, which is why he struggled so mightily without Antoine Walker around to share the scoring and playmaking load. Pierce is not a natural playmaker and is an adequate ballhandler at best. That's the main reason why his turnover numbers are so high. But he's a tough defender, can take any guard, and most forwards, into the post, and has become a better passer and rebounder in recent years.

Pierce WOULD be a better fit here than Francis. But not if we could get T-Mac.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Actually, Francis did improved his defense tremendously under JVG. It still might not be the best, but atleast he plays hard D now.

Like you said, T-Mac USED to play defense, but hasn't played D since he left. I don't think he said T-Mac wouldn't be better on D under JVG, he was just saying that right now, SF is better than T-Mac on D, and I agree with him.

20. acizlan

acizlan Member

do u even watch NBA? pierce's fg% is worse than steve almost every year

wut about rebs and asts? hes got a bad a/t ratio

and he is in east!!!