1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now Looking at Butler, Melo & P.G deals (do you think we gave up too much for CP3 ?)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClearLakeTX, Sep 23, 2017.

?

did we give up too much for CP3 on a expiring looking at butler, P.G, melo deals now ?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2017.
  1. Yes - we could've kept some assets to try to get a third star or looked at Butler or P.G

114 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. No - I'm ok with giving up what we gave even tho we couldn't get melo that wanted to be here

88 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, this is great! Thanks for digging this up

BMoney, vince, Reeko and 1 other person like this.
  2. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

No need for the Beverley slander. He's a Rocket legend.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Wow, I knew there were some people who thought we overpaid at the time, but 56% thought we gave up too much?

DreamShook and Pen15clubber like this.
  4. meh

meh Contributing Member

He is a Rockets legend and will go down with Mario Elie and Chuck Hayes as my all time favorite role players in history, but Beverley was just a man-to-man defender. CP3 is better in terms of orchestrating the defense.

saleem, BMoney and Killatron 2000 like this.
  5. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I think we are close
    They had no idea that dude morey had prince lucky Luciano and that thiccness in his back pocket

CCity Zero likes this.
  6. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

Everything you said was right on point. I have seen Chris and PJ talking to teammates about what position the need to be in many times. It is complete 180 from what we have become accustomed to. Looks like it is paying off big time, based on the results.

saleem, CCity Zero, meh and 2 others like this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Melo narrative has changed for me
    because right now
    If we were trading for Melo . .. . It would take Anderson
    and Okc would have to throw in 2 1st round draft picks for me to be happy taking him
    off their hands

Then I would probably cut him the next day . . . . I really don't want any part of Melo on this team

Rocket River

8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

The complaints about "what we gave up" missed the crucial part of Morey's calculation. Think of it as a multi-player game of cards. An extremely valuable card is available for trade. You can wait and let everyone bid on it, or you can buy it now by giving the current owner of the card a selection of good cards from your hand. But there's an additional rule: You're allowed to draw from an array of replacement cards that are lying face up on the table.

Under these conditions, the correct move is obvious: You empty part of your hand to get the valuable card. Knowing what that card is, you now draw replacement cards from the open array, and you choose these cards based on their fit with your new card. This strategy makes sense only if the new card around which you're organizing your hand is sufficiently valuable. Which, as everyone's now seeing, it is.

Rocket River, Classic and topfive like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Melodrama has started and should end with Morey. Melo isn't the best team player, if at all.

10. basketballholic

We gave up more than necessary but there was more going on at the time. (And still may be.)

11. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Ya I look at it all as one. What we gave up, what we received, and who we were able to sign because of it

12. mockster

mockster Member

At the end of the day it works out for us either way, but if we kept an extra player could of been the difference in acquiring Melo

Obviously melo is still better then Anderson but who knows how Melo would’ve geled here

13. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Morey you filthy!! you knew, you always knew.

I was thinking we gave too much under the asumption we need 3 stars to get where we want to be. In that context getting Paul for the less valuable assets were important. I don´t think that´s true anymore. It seems to me know that before trying to match the names, we need to find the matching style, and then fill it with players.

The things Paul has unlocked for our team! wow! and I still feel there is room for improvement with Harden in the 2 man game.

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

We tried, they demanded Trez to make it happen.

15. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

At the time I was pissed we gave up so much for a guy that wanted to be here anyways but CP3 is miles better than PG and Melo

16. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

it wasn't that I didn't want him here just thought it was alot because of him wanting to be here

but after I was corrected how this was the easy route just to go ahead and get it done with the salaries I totally understand now

it worked out great for us ! happy it went through and we were about to get some good vet players to fill other spots

17. s3ts

s3ts Member

In hindsight, yeah. We did give up too much.

CP forced his hand on the Rockets, and it ended up being a huge waste of decent players who we could've relied on.

Lost all our depth. It's is gonna be really hard to replace them.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think we gave up more than we had to. CP was a free agent why did we have go give up our entire bench? At least keep a few players or the pick and we would have been able to have Melo as well.

19. PatBev

PatBev Member

Only player we should've kept was Lou Williams

s3ts likes this.
  20. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

The only reason this is a question of giving up too much is because CP3 is injury prone. If CP3 wasn't injury prone this trade was a steal imo. With his injury history though, it's beginning to look like it was too much to give up but oh well, it's a risk that was worth taking. Without CP3 on the roster this season would just be a forgone conclusion to a probable early playoff exit.

s3ts likes this.