1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now Looking at Butler, Melo & P.G deals (do you think we gave up too much for CP3 ?)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClearLakeTX, Sep 23, 2017.

?

did we give up too much for CP3 on a expiring looking at butler, P.G, melo deals now ?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2017.
  1. Yes - we could've kept some assets to try to get a third star or looked at Butler or P.G

114 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. No - I'm ok with giving up what we gave even tho we couldn't get melo that wanted to be here

88 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

looking at Butler, Melo, P.G deals

If not then don't trip on us losing out on Melo PERIOD

I did because of the reason that we lost flexibility to get a 3rd star, or to get rid of andersons contract to a third team to make things work

CP3 great pickup, what the team needed, but he wanted to come here, was on a expiring contract gave no info he was staying we had leverage

Lou Will - we had just gave up a 1st for this guy a few months ago then he's thrown in deal that was his value a few months later a throw in ????!!!!!!!

Beverly - worth a first easy by himself, all NBA defense player, shoot the the 3 better and better every year

Harell - has potential not all that great, (but a young player like the KNICKS ONLY wanted)

Dekker - young player, team player, (with playoff experience) like the knicks WANTED)

1st round pick - was not a super high pick but hey (OKC just threw in a 2nd in on a melo deal, sure a first would've looked better.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we could have traded that haul for a first rounder, signed CP3 outright, and then had 2 first rounders to offer in trade for unloading ryno

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

we have a habit of sitting on stuff too long, like we did with Asik. The pieces in that deal with the celtics would have really helped the team that yr.

Rockets are still good, lets not sweat it.

AB83Rules likes this.
  4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I don’t think we have up too much.

Thunder and Twolves got a lot better. No doubt.

We got one of the best pgs of all time.

Thunder are going to be interesting to watch.

I thought that with two guys that like to pass in Harden and CP3 Melo would be a good fit.

In OKC I think there’s a chance they could cannibalize each other.

We’ll see though. And really I doubt the Rockets are just going to let this ride as is.

Lawlruschang and AB83Rules like this.
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the only reason we were in the running for an above average player in carmelo is b/c of cp3 and b/c of his NTC. we don't have the assets to really make any deals for a good player going forward now. in fact we need assets to attach to ryno's contract to get rid of him

malakas likes this.
  6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Ok.

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I say no we didn't give up too much. We did right by the Clips and maybe that comes into play in the future regarding possible deals.

Could someone like Dekker have helped enough to land Melo? Maybe, maybe not.

Melo would have been a nice 3rd option, but it still would have come with risks. It didn't happen, so let's move on.

AB83Rules likes this.
  8. Coach E

Coach E Member

You are forgetting what we would of had to do to make room for CP3, we had to shed salary.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We gave alot for a 1 year rental.

10. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Butler you could argue was fair.

A young heralded player, #7 pick, and last year's #5. Granted 7 and Dunn probably have a likelier chance of busting.

But otherwise, yes, take into account Paul could've outright signed here.

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is Chris Paul. ..with some good tread left.

When we're widely considered a legit contender, the ringchasers will replace what we lost.

12. theimpossibles1

As Conor McGregor would say:

Fock da Toonder!

13. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

You have to blame Morey and Chris Paul for this. Chris could've have easily just signed here but because he wanted that max he chose to come here only on a sign and trade. That sign and trade turned out to include Sam, Harrell, BEV, Lou, and a future 1st for CP. I said a while back when this trade went down that thisncould come back and bite Morey in the ass, well it did. Based on what OKC gave up for Melo it's clear to me that BEV and Harrell could've netted you CP3 since we did have enough salary cap to absorb the remaining of CP3's contract and Dekker, Harrell, Anderson, and a future 1st rounder could've never you Melo.
    Morey messed this up in the begging when he agreed to trade for CP who in his interview wanted to do right by LA and didn't want to leave them hanging high and dry which is another reason why he chose a sign and trade over a straight up sign.
    OKC will probabaly be the 2nd best team in the West, Russ will resign along with PG and Melo because they will probably challenge the Warriors and once again OKC teaches HOU how to be a well run franchise. God this bothers me so much! We are always getting **** blocked by OKC or GS and all bc we make tardes seem SUPER difficult to make while OKC is trading for starts left and right like its ****ing Pokémon.

PeterKingX likes this.
  14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't think we're a legit contender or even close. and more importantly, if cp3 doesn't believe so by the end of the season, he's gone for sure and we're left choosing b/t the 8th seed or 14th pick every year again

PeterKingX and cheke64 like this.
  15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Trading for cp3 kept his cap hit low in order to obtain the MLE.

We could not have signed cp3 outright. In order to do so, we would have had to trade every player listed above plus Ryan Anderson. And I'm doin so would not have the full mle used on tucker.

They didn't want Ryan either, so we had to use those players to obtain the neccasy salary amount needed for cp3. Calculations were off a smidge (this is Moreys fault) and had to throw in Harrell last second to make it work.

So in order to shed Ryan to clear cap room to sign cp3 it would take 2 1sts and a team with ample cap space. Then you would have to trade bev Lou etc for no salary also.

Tl;dr get your facts straight. Signing cp3 outright was gonna take extreme salary gymnastics. I don't think we needed to add the 1st but it is what it is, morey clearly wanted to get it done and a late 20something pick wasn't going to stop him from acquiring the player he has called multiple times "the most complete pg of all time"

epicbeardabe, IvanLCPM, Hui and 9 others like this.
  16. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

it was great getting CP3, but MOREY got too excited ok he wants to come here give them a decent deal don't over PAY

know thats its plenty other players they may be available, know you need a 3rd star to compete

know you have anderson making 20mill a year you will need something to maybe move him for another big contract if something comes up

sit back take a breath

17. Garner

Garner Member

What did morey do that indicates he was "too excited" exactly?

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  18. Nimo

Nimo Member

In a vacuum, no. But in comparison, yes. I dont see how anyone can see it any other way.

Jayzers_100 and RocketsTruth like this.
  19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I was good with all of it until we included the 1st. I mean that was quite the load of players, I'm thinking we could of got out of it w/o giving the 1st. That surprised me.

20. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

we are argubaly worse than the spurs, have less firepower than the thunder, maybe the twolves, and maybe even the clippers who knows.

and keep in mind cp3 did NOT make the all-star team last year, who knows he could be on the down swing of his career, kinda like when we got dwight