1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now Joe Smith may be available

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballplayer, Sep 11, 2000.

1. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

No problem, R03 -- I just said what Cuban's plan was, not whether I thought it was realistic. [​IMG]

And you can tell that I don't think Joe Smith is a guy who will put them in the conference finals or anything.

------------------

2. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Joe Smith Career stats from NBA.com
    95-96 Gs 82 .458fgp 8.7rpg 15.3ppg
    96-97 Gs 80 .454fgp 8.5rpg 18.7ppg
    97-98 Gs-Phi 79 .434fgp 6.0rpg 14.6ppg
    98-99 Min 43 .427fgp 8.2rpg 13.7ppg
    99-00 Min 78 .464fgp 6.2rpg 9.9ppg

T-wolves 99-00 seaseon team stats.
    K. Garnett 22.9ppg 11.8rpg
    T. Brandon 17.1ppg 3.4rpg
    M. Sealy 11.3ppg 4.3rpg
    W.Szczerbiak11.6ppg 3.7rpg
    A. Peeler 9.8ppg 2.8rpg
    J. Smith 9.9ppg 6.2rpg

Now Swopa here are the years and the numbers!!!! I see that in his 1st 2 years with Golden State Joe's numbers show that he was a excellent player for the warriors. I only see a decline when the that stupid franchise traded him away just like they did C.WEBB, Tim, Mitch Richmond, Spree, etc. G-State just followed there same ole path down sucking ass team lane. Matter of fact who did y'all get in that trade to Philly? Are they still with team? I think y'all were scarced because he was going to leave G-State anyway after his rookie contract was up.

Now like I stated before you came with the lame. His numbers started to take a dip after he was traded to Philly witch is understandable. The man had to adjust to Iverson and get in were he fit in as far as offense is concerned. Now his first season in Minn was decent till he got hurt. Now last season like I said he didn't have as many opportunities to score because they had a well rounded attack as a team were K.G., T. Brandon, M. Sealy, W.Szczerbiak got most of the shots. Come on now what does it tell you when a mans Field Goal percentage goes up as high as it has ever been in his career but his he has his lowest ppg total of his career. He wasn't getting the shots just like I said.

Then the team owner evidently thought enough of him to sign a under the table agreement that stated a future 10 million dollar contract. Now what do you think he means to that team. He played there out of loyalty and wanting to build a team that would win a ring. After the Rockets the T-wolves are one of the few teams that have a family atomesphere and loyalty to a certain extent. To bad the new CBA is breaking up that type of team atomesphere. Like I said in the begining. I think he would be a great fit for the Rockets if we could find a way to get him which I know is higly unlikely.

------------------
    ballplayer

[This message has been edited by ballplayer (edited September 12, 2000).]

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

ballplayer

Smith and Brian Shaw were traded to Philly for Jim Jackson and Clarence Weatherspoon.

I really agree with the posters applauding Joe Smith's loyalty and that comparison to the Rockets' management.

Bottomline to me is value. The NBA is a business and Joe Smith's value will vary widely on a team by team basis. The Rocks have Mo, KT, Collier and 'Los all under contract and all slated for PF minutes. Smith's value to SOME team will make him cost prohibitive to be a backup to Mo and take minutes away from the others.

It isn't a question of how good or how bad. It's a question of how much!!

------------------
    GATER

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

bballplayer: came with the lame?

why don't you actually try reading Swopa's posts? When Smith got his shots, he did not produce in GS. I used to think Joe Smith was good, till I saw the numbers he put up and all the games of him I saw for the last two years. He played like crap. Other than KG, the Wolves have no post presence. If Joe was really that good, he would have stepped up his game and become more of a threat down low.

Smith is a servicable PF, but he is nothing to get excited about unless you are the Lakers.

Too bad Smith and the wolves are dirty rotten scoundrels who try to circumvent CBA and can't even get that right.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

[This message has been edited by CriscoKidd (edited September 12, 2000).]

5. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

Warriors record in '97-'98 with Smith: 9-40 (W-L percentage .183)
    Warriors record in '97-'98 without Smith: 10-23 (W-L percentage .303)

They actually got better once Smith was traded. In fact, to take it a little further . . .

Warriors record in '95-'96 before trading Tim Hardaway: 26-28 (W-L percentage .481)
    Warriors record during "Spree and Joe show" from '96-'98 : 49-110 (W-L percentage .308)
    Warriors record in '98-'99 without Sprewell or Smith: 31-52 (W-L percentage .373)

The front office may have been scared, but I was celebrating. [​IMG] Probably the most embarrassing moment for the current management in the past three years has been the fact that they offered Joe a four-year extension (at roughly $8-10 million/year) before that season, because they were so determined to change the GS reputation for losing free agents. I don't want to think about what a nightmare it would have been if he'd accepted.

And even worse, the Sixers didn't get blown out as often, robbing Joe of those valuable garbage-time minutes he used to pad his stats in GS. [​IMG]

It tells you he's better suited for a small role than a big one.

Unfortunately, he wasn't good enough to get them past the first round, which is as far as they were getting without him. Can you say "no impact"?

He'd be an OK fit for the Rockets, backing up Mo. But not a perfect one, since he plays best when he has a teammate who gets double-teamed in the low post (Seikaly in GS, Garnett in MIN).

------------------

[This message has been edited by Swopa (edited September 12, 2000).]

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Simply put. . . JOE DID NOT LIVE UP TO HIS HYPE

He was going to be the NCAA Player of the YEAR
    but he didn't have the grades.

Coming out of college he was suppose to be
    TIM DUNCAN type player.

The NBA exposed alot of his weaknesses
    Main IMO HEART!
    I don't think Joe has worked hard enough.

I think he should be playing closer to Duncan
    than KG. . . WITHIN HIMSELF

He should be Mr Steady . .. Mr Dependable
    Like Anderson . . Good defense.

but he is not. I think he has that magic
    the one everyone loves. . . POTENTIAL!!!

Maybe a new team or something will help
    but he is IMO officially a BUST

Rocket River
    I WAS A BIG FAN OF JOE AT MARYLAND . .
    HURTS MY HEART TO SEE HIM LIKE HE IS

------------------