1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Notes on the Rockets/Draft...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

According to one of my sources (You can guess who that may be) tomorrow is supposedly "the day" where we, or should I say 'the Rockets', will know one way or the other. Actually, it could come as early as late tonight. Whether or not they divulge it, there's no telling. I know there was an AP report that Friday in China the "final offer" from Yao and his people has to be accepted or rejected, so I'm not trying to "repackage info in a different way" -- just passing along what I was told.

Also, Rudy is privately telling people that Ming is the REAL deal. If there was any before (as far as I knew there wasn't), there is no doubt this is the guy Rudy T wants.

Francis is another story. He is in fact pissed off, contrary to what the "smartest of the bunch David Aldridge" may say. He is really upset. He does not want Ming but wants a "proven player" via trade (we discussed Odom but as far as I know that is speculation). TroyBaros said that a while ago and I always felt he really heard what he said he did from Francis (we emailed a couple of times afterwards), but he gave a lot of bad info that proved to be false later, told people they will choke on it because it's true and overall posted like a true *******. If his attitude didn't suck so bad, things could have worked out better for him.

My two cents: This is a job for a reporter who can get direct quotes from Francis (Jonathan Feigen?). A story that is begging to be told - this is huge for Rockets fans. Get Francis to spill his true feelings, written in stone for the entire city to see, on taking Yao Ming. If he gives a negative view, he'll take a huge hit. He gives a positive view, then his words could come back to haunt him when he complains later.

<B>MY OPINION, NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS:</B> Francis isn't this way purely for basketball reasons, imo. I think this is more about possibly being on the cover of SLAM and ESPN magazine a few less times, if you know what I mean. <B>END OPINION</B>

Also, nothing new here, but it will be Ming or trade. Mike Dunleavy's name isn't getting called #1. The Rockets will not use the #1 pick on anyone but Ming. If they can't get the correct assurances (and I think they will), they'll work a trade.

And now for some <B>good</B> news: Glen Rice is said to be in terrific shape. He is playing summer ball in Miami and supposedly is "tearing up" the summer league there, putting up close to 40 a night. I have no idea how the competition is there -- for all I know he's facing the Bayi Rockets every night -- but that's a solid scoop. Same source that said Mo had put on roughly 70 pounds (and that was accurate). I just hope he is in fact in great shape because you know a guy like that could shoot lights out if he had his legs underneath him.

In the workout in Houston, where Stoudemire got injured, supposedly Amare destroyed Gooden, even though Gooden has looked good in other workouts. I think if Amare was there at #15 he'd be picked, but he won't be. I don't know how Chris Wilcox did in his workout today, but supposedly those who saw him were surprised how thin/lean he was (considering he's a power forward).

Also, Bostjan Nachbar is in fact working out for the Rockets on Sunday (great scoop tozai). I think that could be significant ... but we'll see where Nachbar goes.

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Thanks for the update Clutch:)

Francis is really getting on my nerves.

Does Steve Francis know what it takes to win in the NBA? NO.

Does Rudy know what it takes to win in the NBA? YES

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

thanks again clutch.

as for francis....i actually touched base on this subject in a thread a few days back. i was torn on the thought of either 'is he just thinking about the team' or 'is he just thinking that his 'da man' status will be tarnished?'. granted it was ONLY YOUR OPINION, i also think francis' attitude is based on ego and getting his all his friends on his team. i don't know what's going on in his head so i'm not going to put words in his mouth. and like someone else said, if we do draft ming, i feel sorry for yao. all the praise that he gave to the rockets and their players and only to listen to things like how the 'franchise' never wanted him and all.

all i know is that if it comes down to ming or francis...personally, that would be a tough decision but who wouldn't rule out a #1, #2 for us (through a jay williams for francis trade)?

again thanks clutch

4. hpscc

hpscc Member

Thanks for the info!!!

5. lovethisgametoo

I bet China will give their OK soon.....not sure but I put my money on it.

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Great information. It's a shame about Steve. Do you think the Rockets will still be able to lock him up with an extension this summer? Are we looking at Steve playing out his rookie contract and becoming a free agent next year?

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks, Clutch.

Personally, I don't think Ming would takeover the spotlight, as much as share it. Even if Ming were to have a career like Olajuwon's, there'd be those classic Francis-Ming pictures, a lot like those trio picture of Pippen-Barkley-Olajuwon, Olajuwon-Barkley-Drexler, the great Hakeem-Drexler hug from the 95 championship. Maybe he doesn't have a problem sharing it with his best friend (Mobley) but does have a problem with someone else?

The ESPN Mock has Nachbar going 15 to us, and Woods going 16. If you can divulge, would the Rockets (according to your sources) take Nachbar over Woods?

8. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

Is that Wang ZhiZhi?

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

the thing is ...i doubt i can find a player of steves caliber that wouldn't WANT to play w/ ming. i'd imagine mcgrady would kill for a chance like that...as would many other high caliber players. if francis wanted to win so bad now, maybe he should have thought about getting those migraines checked and actually look at our IL list and see how many bodies were on that list. maybe playing some D would have also helped.......

i'm starting to pick on francis and i really hate that. ever since we got him, i thought the world of him...but all these moody things about getting someone that will be a legitimate player.....boggles the mind.

10. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I think I found some of Glen Rice's summer league competition.

[​IMG]

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Why is Francis being such a pain in the ass and not praising Rudy T for getting the Jordan of China?? That is weak of a 4th year player to talk crap when his coach, a 2-time NBA Champion, is doing the right thing and trying to rebuild this team!! If Rudy went this far in trying to get Ming, Francis and Mobley (don't want to leave his sorry ass out) shouldn't be complaining at all. They should be praising for Rudy T's work and try to gel some chemistry with Ming. I hope Francis gets criticized for his words when Ming throws it in their face and the Rockets are in 1st place when the All-Star break arrives.

Now with Rice, that is awesome that he is getting back to his Miami Heat days...that will surely help us have a bigger lineup to cause mismatches against teams...

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

francis is not the gm of this team. he does not know what is best for us. he is a great player, and a great guy, but he needs to let rudy and cd do their jobs without complicating things for them.

13. New Jack

New Jack Member

Steve really seems to be acting like a spoiled little brat. Sulking, and whining, and pouting. What a baby. The more I read about him, the more I'm starting to think we need to get ourselves a new leader.

14. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

I think that pretty much sums up the whole "Francis" situation. It appears he is oonly looking at number 1 (ie himself) and being very myopic about the whole thing. Odom will NOT bring us a championship in the next 2-4 years. Whereas there is a very good chance (with a bit of luck) that Ming, Francis, Mobley and Griffin can lead us to a championship in that time frame.
    Only thing is, Francis is reportadly pissed about having Ming over Odom, but that doesn't mean to say that after half a season when Francis, Ming, Mobes, Griff and co. are tearing it up and routinely destroying opponents, Francis won't do a back flip and be ecstatic to be playing with Ming. Like I said, I think Francis' short-sightedness is getting the better or him, or maybe even the Cat has been in his ear (well, that would also explain the migraines as well.... ;) )

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If Francis is gonna be pouty about this. . . . Rudy should listen to NELLY

"SHOULD WE APOLIGIZE? . . F*CK'EM . .. . LEAVE'EM PISSED . . HEY!!" - Nelly

Rocket River

16. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Thanks, Clutch. I love you man! (Can I have your Bud Light? :) )

I won't comment on Francis because even though I trust you insiders with my life (okay, maybe not), I don't feel right going off on a guy unless I hear it publicly. At any rate, he's entitled to his opinion and at least he isn't whining to the press, which can't be said for many Rockets players over the years. Besides, it's just tough to digest, and I'd rather pretend it's not happening (la la la, the Lakers didn't win the championship again. It's all a dream. I'm just a butterfly dreaming it's a Rockets fan, la la la Mmmmmmm, nectar.....{drooling noise})

Great news about Rice. If we trade the #15 and Glen really lights it up this year, I'll be thrilled.

17. alaskansnowman

Thx Clutch.

I just hope that Francis gets over this whole Ming hatred of his. This team has always been about great chemistry and a positive attitude, and this could screw everything up. I hope that after a couple of games (hopefully good games from Yao), Francis will realize what a valuable contributor Yao is and how much he can make the game EASIER for him and everyone else. Francis doesn't want Ming partly (and I say partly b/c i also agree with Clutch on the ego part) b/c he believes Ming will take very long to develop, but if Ming can prove that he can be a good contributor from the start, then Francis will probably come to accept him. Winning cures all ills and hopefully having Yao will translate to some more wins for this team.

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Thanks for the info Clutch. I didn't think it was out of the realm of possibility for Rice to get healthy, unlike some posters.

Sad to hear about Francis. That he can't even open up his mind and trust the evaluation of the front office ... has more maturing to do than I thought. Would drafting Ming affect his extension that he said he'd take care of this summer?

Also, since Rice is doing so well, would they strongly consider drating a project sf like Woods if he falls to the #15?

19. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

Kobe can't win it all without Shaq and Shaq can't win it all without Kobe.

Suck it up Steve - or get used to losing every year.

20. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

I guess Steve's motives will be tested best when we DO get a proven player later in the offseason. Bottomline is this:

If Odom was the best "proven" player that was offered, then the idea of trading the #1 pick for him seems rather stupid now that there is at least some indication that he can be had for an Erick Show. If Odom=#1 and Odom=Erick Snow, then #1=Erick Snow. How would you felt if we traded our #1 for Erick Snow.

I personally think that the Rockets will be able to get a decent player either through the MCE or via trade for spare parts. Then we'll see what Steve says. If he's still pissed off then I we'll know he's jealous about all the attention that Yao gets.