1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Notes: Big Baby Draws Interest

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1414/notes_big_baby_draws_interest/

Notes: Big Baby Draws Interest

6-foot-9 power forward Glen Davis out of LSU impressed Rockets in June workout

FRIDAY, JUNE 22, 2007 5:58 AM CST

By Clutch
    Copyright 2007 ClutchFans.net

So here we are less than a week away from my personal NBA Christmas -- the NBA Draft.
    No big presents under the tree this year for Rockets fans, but we could see a nicely-filled stocking with the "org" holding pick #26. Rockets GM Daryl Morey told us Thursday that from that pick, it's a good draft for "wings and bigs", which sounds a little like a #3 combo at KFC.

Now, anytime you get draft information, you have to take it with a major grain of salt. For weeks we had been hearing that Brandon Roy was the Rockets' draft target with the #8 last year -- which was right -- but then a great source threw us a curve that it was actually Rudy Gay -- which was not right. So it can be hard sometimes to get through the smoke.

But if you want to know the buzz at a minimum, here it is: The guy we consistently hear good things about and the one we hear the Rockets would like to bring back is the Big Baby.

No, no - not Scottie Pippen (rimshot).

LSU's Glen "Big Baby" Davis, a 6-foot-9 and nearly 300-pound forward, impressed the Rockets physically and on the court in his workout with the team earlier this month. One suggested there was a concern that he didn't come off as the sharpest tool in the shed, but as far as his play, he impressed.

The Rockets are currently operating with "WANTED: SIZE" printed on their Jumbotron. Since trading Juwan Howard, the team doesn't have a power forward under contract as even Chuck Hayes is a restricted free agent. A bigger-minute four is likely to come via trade or free agency, but they definitely could use depth at the big spots and Davis is definitely "big".

Don't rule out the marketing factor either. It helps that Davis, with a built-in nick like "Big Baby" and charisma to boot, could boost ticket sales down the line.

For his part, Big Baby told his fans in his draft diary on Tuesday that Houston's workout wasn't easy.

"Houston is the toughest one I've been to," said Davis. "Houston and Chicago. I don't know what made them tougher. The tempo, I guess."

Davis, who came to LSU weighing over 360 pounds and played last year at around 325, slimmed down for the NBA Draft to 289 pounds, so there is some concern about whether he will keep it off or if this a money play.

"I'll keep it off," Davis said. "I'll keep it off until I'm wealthy enough where I can have Big Baby Enterprises, so my kids' kids can be like Paris Hilton and them ... without jail."

He also does not have incredible lift as he relies more on his power game, and for that reason most projected him as a second round pick a month ago. But as we enter the stretch drive, Davis' stock is rising from his workouts and there is talk that he has a first round promise.

More Buzz
    The Rockets have been interested in trying to nab a second round pick for some time, so it atleast makes some sense the rumor that John P. Lopez of the Houston Chronicle reported about the Rockets exploring sending Vassilis Spanoulis to the Dallas Mavericks for one of their three second-rounders (#34, #50, #60). We had not heard that rumor specifically, but the Mavs have been looking to trade Jason Terry this summer, which would then in turn make more sense to bring in Spanoulis to back up Devin Harris.

Two other guys we've heard a lot about from a Rockets interest standpoint are Morris Almond and Sean Williams, both of whom seem to be getting a lot of play as prospects who will go before the Rockets select at #26.

Almond, a 6-foot-6 shooting guard out of Rice, can flat out shoot the rock. As a sophomore to senior, Almond hit 46.2%, 44.4% and 45.6% from three-point range respectively (wow), averaging 26.4 points and 6.6 boards a night for the Owls. He's not the best passer, but Almond can really put the ball in the basket and has drawn comparisons to a poor man's Allan Houston or Michael Redd.

Williams, a Houston native, ran in to problems at Boston College and was suspended after an arrest for mar1juana possession in May of 2005 and then was kicked off the team for good earlier this year when he failed a drug test. Williams couldn't kick the weed in college, which makes him perfect for the NBA! Scouts are starting to drool over his 6-foot-10 frame and incredible shot-blocking skills and on talent alone he's probably a lottery pick (see Channel 11 video of Williams working out here in Houston).

A lot can change in a month
    Draft prospect Dominic McGuire, the 6-foot-8 forward out of Fresno State, when asked by the Fresno Bee this week what NBA teams would fit his style the best:

"The system I feel like I would fit the best in is the Phoenix Suns, Houston Rockets or the Golden State Warriors, any team that basically runs and gets up and down," said McGuire. "I feel like I would be a perfect fit for them."

Yeah, you read that right. Last season that would have been like adding David Carr to a short list of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady of the NFL's most poised quarterbacks, but McGuire including Houston was not likely a slip of the tongue. The Rockets are making it clear in draft workouts that they're not going to be a slow, half-court team any longer.

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I see Big Baby as a bigtime sleeper and would love to see him at the 4 for us.I do believe we would have to move up to get him though.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd worry that he's a serious threat to get fat again after a couple of years. But then, this is #26, so we won't be getting the perfect player. It worked out with Kenny Thomas, who had a similar issue.

4. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I'm all for taking him in the draft, but we still need another PF

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That's whack. Big Baby has been and likely continues to be a 2nd round pick.. Move up ?? :eek: We need to trade for a 2nd round pick for him.

If the Rockets are going to move up, it'll likely be a few sports for Sean Williams, imo...

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you underestimate Glen.This guy,in shape is a force and exactly what we need.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"so my kids' kids can be like Paris Hilton "

:eek:

8. rocketsmetalspd

If drafted could the "Two Sandwiches" moniker be back? :)

9. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Two Sandwiches? That kid is an entire Subway shop.

10. MLRS

MLRS Contributing Member

I can only hope that he is available @ #26 for the Rockets.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i dont think he's worth a 26 pick. he could probably be had in the 30s

12. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

If the Rockets draft Glenn Davis, they need to put a "weight" clause in contract for him to stay below 280.

13. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

Looks like McGuire's brother played for U of H... I think there may be a Houston connection somewhere, maybe thats why he included Houston in that list of teams...

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL.

Anyway, Big Baby reminds me too much of another guy whose initials were also BB.

Benoit Benjamin

15. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I would like to see the rockets take a chance on Davis.

He should be available at 26 and could fit in here really well. I'm not terribly confident that he will actually last into the 2nd round, or very far into it at least.

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Seems like a funny guy ... here is a video by CBS of him back in 2003 when he was at the ABCD camp.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p2xARh4_dfs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p2xARh4_dfs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Some dance moves to show he is light on his feet. At the ABCD game:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nfAmbWS8gl4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nfAmbWS8gl4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

And here he is 2 months ago at a <a href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/sioncampus/04/23/glendavis.dancing/" target="_blank">Dancing with the Stars charity event at LSU</a>:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dyjrHiF2_6g"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dyjrHiF2_6g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I'm not sure if the Rockets are targeting a high second round pick thinking they could get him there or if they like him at 26 ... I've heard consistently they were impressed by his workout.

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Big Baby's lift on his jump is the same as Yao Ming. That means he has to stay in the paint to use his bulk -- and that is Yao's turf! I am trying to visualize 600 lbs. of Rockets in the paint (wonder if you could even see the paint on skycam?)

Davis is worth a high second rounder but is not worth the gamble at #26. I'd still go with Sean Williams or Josh McRoberts if available or Nick Fazekas if they are not because we don't need two fireplug PFs. (Before you try to tell me Davis is 6-9, that's only because he is wearing three-inch platform sneakers.)

#17 thumbs, Jun 22, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Big Baby had a really bad year. If he had come out a year earlier, you all wouldn't think he should stay down in the second round.

Despite the fact that everyone is afraid of his weight, he is talented. But honestly, he and Chuck fill the same role. Chuck is smarter, but shorter. Big Baby is taller, but is slower, mentally and physically.

Having seen them play against one another several times its a fun little match up, but Chuck is more versatile than Big Baby. (and I don't just say that out of loyalty)

Of course, we didn't get to see the more svelte version of Davis too much in his last season at LSU, so maybe he is more versatile now that he's a lighter guy.

Sometimes I really wish I could see those workouts, this would be one of those times. To compare what he can do now, to what he could do a year and a half ago.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Being big AND quick is a very very rare commodity. If he is there at 26 and we keep the pick he would be a very good gamble that might turn out Josh Howard, or Tony Parker like for the Rockets.

DD

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

What I don't like about Davis is his height (6-9) and his bulk. I cannot see him fitting into Adelman's new uptempo "Sacramento Rockets" offense that is destined to turn the Western Conference on its collective ear. To me, he's a short Eric Dampier starter kit.