1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Not the same team:" Rockets to "drastically alter" switch-everything scheme

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 27, 2018.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Our switching defense was designed for Golden State. It doesn't work for everyone.

D-rock, snowconeman22 and daywalker02 like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes, but we don't have the pieces for it to work well enough to beat GS.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

League to Rox: Fooled me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Won't work the second time around.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thank you. Major concern when we got him as coach! Soft arse when everything crumbles.

New concept ma butt! They are obviously going back to Capela standing under the basket.

[​IMG]

#84 daywalker02, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    RyanB likes this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's likely that 2 out of those 4 picks will not be lottery bound, but how are you so sure about the 2 other picks? You are forecasting waaaay into the future. You really do have to analyze the age of our core pieces. Paul is in the tail end of his prime while Harden has maybe 3 more years in his prime. Same if we kept Jimmy, maybe 3 more years.

Due to the large salaries these guys are making (or in Jimmy's case, will make), those contracts may be untradeable. As of now, unless one of our young guys develops into a tradeable asset for some good assets, rebuilding is going to be very painful a few years down the road. You add on losing potential lottery picks and we are going to be struggling like the Nets to rebuild.

I do see offering 4 FRPs as a panic move for two reasons. One reason, we have no guarantee that Jimmy will even stay with us. I definitely see it being possible, but no guarantee, so it's a huge gamble. The other reason, we are just 5 games into the season and already someone hit the panic button. I'm not even sure if it was Morey. Morey has always had a better vision of short and long term goals. I almost feel this is something that came from ownership telling Morey to do whatever necessary to land us Jimmy.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we do have the pieces, note that we barely played 1 or 2 games fully complete and healthy this season

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Reminds me of the firing of McHale 11 games into the season and handed the rein to Bickerstaff. I have no sympathy for McHale. But firing the head coach that early in the season with no good replacement in sight was panic move. I suspect that it was also the owner's order.

D-rock and ElPigto like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's 2018. Nothing to suspect! It was a less decision. Effects of those decisions were to ripple out.

Easy likes this.
  9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

$90 million, he was hungry before. Now if he plays harder it's not like he's going to make more money. Granted he did pull down 14 boards the other night... So maybe he's rounding into form.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

So, it didn't look like we have the pieces before the season started.
    Then it didn't look like it in the preseason, though preseason doesn't say much.
    Then it didn't look like it when healthy.
    Then the coach and defensive leader said they should go back to the drawing board and that it's not the same team.

This team is SO FAR from playing good defense that the effects of continuity and chemistry are still unlikely to bring it back into the top 10. The fact that they will improve if they keep trying is not important if the final result is not enough to mount a title challenge.

A team starting Ryan Anderson and James Harden playing together for the first time ever wasn't this bad defensively. This is not just newness. To be one of the worst teams in the NBA defensively and overall 5 games into the season is not about health. Our performance WITH Harden, should be better than our current performance without him. Our performance WITH PAUL, should be better than our current performance without him. FULLY HEALTHY AND UNFAMILIAR WITH EACH OTHER AND WITH AN INEXPERIENCED DEFENSIVE COACH, this team's talent should lead to a record better than 1-4 against mediocre opponents.

It's far. It's very far. It's not the thing you're imagining. It's not a matter of practice. All the other teams had as much practice time as we did, and a dozen of them had as much roster turnover as we had.

The fact that they can improve, almost no one disagrees with. What I'm saying is even considering health, Bzdelik, roster - we have underperformed against THOSE expectations and it has not gotten slightly better with each game. It's totally at the mercy of how our opponents feel that night.

#90 Mathloom, Oct 28, 2018
    HP3 and hakeem94 like this.
  11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think he's rounding into form .

I'm way more worried about Paul and Gordon

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Not true at all. We were 6th in defense last year. When executed well it works against everyone.

HP3 likes this.
  13. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Someone needs to talk ClutchFans off the ledge.

Not me though. I’m staring that fall down too. This isn’t just a hiccup.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yeah, I'm going to wait a little longer than 5 games into the season.

Just way too early to start crying and ******** your pants.

Still believe in this team. Players, coaches and front office are too talented and motivated to not figure something out.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

“We gotta do what we do harder, better, longer.” *clap* *clap*
    (That's what she said.)

#95 J.R., Oct 28, 2018
    DonKnock, Vivi, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Look, all I'm asking them is to focus, communicate & switch! I'm not asking them to work a double shift logging timber! They should get on their knees every morning and thank God they play basketball for a living!

hakeem94 and Os Trigonum like this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

19. HP3

HP3 Member

If you think MDA is anywhere close to Mchale, you are mistaken.

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

man, jr turned bitter old man barking at the clouds recently

HP3 likes this.