1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Not the same team:" Rockets to "drastically alter" switch-everything scheme

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Actually it was Terry and Bev:

Jason Terry was asked if it was puzzling that the same group from last year was struggling.

"Not the same group. We've got to quit saying that. I'll leave it at that. Whoever told you that, they kidding themself."

At the SAME time Terry said it (in sync), Beverley chimed in from the background, "Not the same group!" and something to the effect of "If you think that you're not watching the games."

joshuaao, slothy420, saleem and 3 others like this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The ship be sinking.

Dgn1 likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Switching defense is supremely simple conceptually.

I’m surprised more teams don’t do it in today’s small ball nba.

All it requires is effort. Effort on switches. Effort on rebounding. Effort on communication.

The reason it isn’t working this year then is clear. Lack of effort.

No defensive scheme will work with a lack of effort.

4. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I agree with some of you guys. 5 games is still early IMO and the new guys should be getting used to the system. Including the preseason this shouldnt be such a problem.

I think that the effort, especially coming from Ariza, isnt present as much as last year. Players arent making an effort to win. There is no sense of urgency to make things happen on the offensive end. You have Harden having his guy pass by him like a third grader and there is no one to reply that defensively.

Melo aint bad on defense, Ennis isnt either...but they arent Ariza who picks up 2-3 steals a game, makes the effort and lets the other guy know when they make a mistake..

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

Sorry man, but yes, yes he is. He is so so much is.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

it requires effort and also bunch of solid defenders that can effectively guard multiple positions

lost Ariza and Luc and added Melo and Ennis

Moleb likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

That Darnell Murie sure does know how to wreck WCF teams! ;)

And maybe, just maybe, @Carl Herrera is right about the Tillman.

#runitback

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Is that an inside joke of Herrera to call Tilman 'TiLL man'?

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Surprise surprise.

Not really.

A few of the more pragmatic among us had been saying this all off-season looking at the moves being made.

We sold our defensive identity and chemistry over the summer because Morey was arrogant that he could make any pieces fit around Harden and Paul. Hubris was his downfall.

It is easy for Chris Paul to say, "Run it back" when he is signing a max contract while watching the other pieces leave. What made it worse is that he then lobbies for his buddy to join the team, a player that is a complete opposite of what we lost! LOL, what a fraud!

10. MystikArkitect

Everyone looks off. Absolutely everyone. As Bill Worrell famously said, this Rockets team has the Rockets fan base completely bamboozled.

BaselineFade, Reeko and ak99999 like this.
  11. rocketseagles07

Lol rockets fans went from trashing trev and luc to now the sky is falling without them. Y’all are hilarious... if we don’t have guys with the IQ to switch everything than don’t. Simple as that

12. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I asked this question in another thread but have yet to get a response.

Why are we ignoring what PJ, Chris and MD are saying ? Its the NEW PLAYERS THAT WE BROUGHT IN. They are yeling it from the rooftops but its like fans on this site are in denial.

Roy Rogers is being scapegoated, and i agree that he is not Jeff B. But to think that coaching is the only issue, or freedom of movement is the only reason is not a fair assessment to put it mildly.

I get that Trev went 0-12, and that Luc got hurt, but they both have extremely high defensive IQ's, length, toughness and the ability to stay in front of wings and guards, as well as being able to guard the post. To act like they could be replaced by just anyone was a huge mistake in judgement.

Now we simply dont have the same personnel. We could bring back Jeff B and the defense still would never look as good or fluid as it did last year.

It's ok to admit the organization f-d this up. Thankfully we have trade options and i know Morey wont rest until this gets fixed. I know why he is offering four 1st's ect for JB. He, Tillman D 'antoni, and now our core players know we messed up by not adequately replacing our wings.

The coaching staff has no idea about what to do without capable defenders, and i dont either.

BigggReddd, IvanLCPM, Houtho and 6 others like this.
  13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Well that's one thing we did differently than 2015-2016. Looks like we are trying to make adjustments.

14. Malaya

Malaya Member

When is MDA going to address the lack of effort from CC and CP3?

Who's the real leader of this team? We know for a long time it's not Harden. Who's gonna step up and rally the others?

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I’m if the belief that 50% just comes down to effort. They’re all nba athletes. Sure harden doesn’t have the lateral quickness. But no reason to lose men by not paying attention. To pick on Harden. The problem is pervasive here.

It’s a culture issue.

You lost the defensive culture.

After that it’s about getting better players. Better schemes.

Now they’re just trying to find a scheme to hide their lack of effort.

Even if they find one the end game is pretty obvious. It’s not a championship lol

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clint and Chris just got paid so there might be that lack of hunger especially from Clint.

As for the defense, maybe Bzdelik saw all of this unfolding so that's why he decided to retire

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If they’re going after Butler with the intention to pay him in the offseason, I don’t think Tillman is cheap. He and Morey want to blow the budget on the right players. No trade until at least October 31st—-well, let’s see how this goes.

But it is clear the team came into the season unprepared. Losing CP3 for two games and now Harden for who knows how many games simply poured gasoline onto the fire.

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

How many 1st round picks would you give up to get Trevor back?

Man, having the ex-rockets come destroy us 2 games in a row makes me wish we just stayed with A couple players. I’m beginning to feel like I’d trade Paul for Bev and Harrell too.

19. shlhl

shlhl Member

Like Marriage, Melo and MDA is not compatible.(they divorce once) Ennis amd MCW need to be gone.. Even on the paper, we are not same team. What are they thinking?Soon, the hole will be too big to dig out. MDA will be gone like McHale 15 games down the stretch if the trades not happening next week.

20. pocketrocket81

Maybe Jeff Bzdelik knew what was going to happen with all the changes is why he retired. Maybe Bzdelik didn't want to endure the wrath of Clutchfans.

buffalobills!!! likes this.