1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Not so new mar1juana studies- maybe safe?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, Nov 3, 2014.

1. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

2. val_modus

val_modus Member

You guys realize that schedule I drugs have high substance abuse risk, physiological dependence, and absolutely NO medical use. Keep in mind that cancer patients use mar1juana to alleviate nausea and give them an appetite so they can eat more than half a meal every day. Not to mention its ability to alleviate pain without the side effects of schedule II and III analgesics. Its all political, if you think anything else of it, then it is my personal educated belief as someone who works in the field of drugs that you are simply ignorant :--)

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

As a person who works in cancer research, I have to say in a Petri dish (or a contrived in vivo experiment in rats) even a hand gun will kill cancer cells at a close enough range. Its actually rather easy to kill cancer cells.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

No kidding...just because something kills cancer cells doesn't mean it's "safe".

Like chemotherapy or radiation...

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Are you seriously comparing chemo and radiation to mar1juana?

Chemotherapy and radiation kills and damages all cells (and organs), not just the cancerous cells.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

After reading your thoughts on formaldehyde in a flu shot (ermahgerd!) I'm not exactly surprised.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

8. Bandwagoner

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I know, that's why I said more.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Do you also avoid tuna because of Mercury? You are the embodiment of the phrase "a little bit of knowledge is deadly". Dosage means everything, and while you've highlighted potential risks, the amount in a flu shot is no where near it. Do you also avoid plastic cups because of the estrogen mimics that cause cancer? Seriously, when you dig into it (and actually work in this field) you learn everything CAN cause cancer, but it doesn't mean its probable.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Actually yes I do avoid Tuna (I'm vegan) and using plastic products. Considering 43% of all men will develop a type of cancer in America, I'd say it does mean it's probable.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Yes because all cancers are caused by the exact same exposure and cancer in no way shape or form is linked to genetic precursors. That's why companies like Microsoft aren't investing billions of dollars into cloud computing services to aid and expand on our knowledgebase on the genetic underlying factors of cancer as well. The truth is, you can be an organic eating vegan who smokes dope on the regular and have as much of a probability of getting cancer as a guy who eats meat and gets flu shots. When you get published for your research in cancer we can gladly talk, until then maybe you should do a bit more research.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Who said I smoked dope? Lol

And your argument, is that someone who

Lives a healthy life, eats organic, stays away from harmful chemicals

still has basically the exact same chances of getting cancer as somebody who

Eats highly processed foods loaded with harmful ingredients, or smokes cigs and takes flu shots/prescribed drugs frequently

Because cancer is all genetic. Absolutely foolish.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

It's a game of probabilities. You have low risks from all lines, whether it be exposure based or genetic. There are tons of cases of people who have smoked since the age of 13 and died at the age of 90 cancer free. There are tons of cases of perfectly healthy 20 somethings developing cancer and dying young. Surprisingly, we don't know a lot about what causes cancer or even how our anticancer treatments actually work! We postulate, but new research emerges daily. Platinum drugs are the vanguard of anticancer drugs, and yet some cell lines are resistant. We barely know why these cell lines are resistant and we don't even know what genetic factors make them resistant. At the end of the day, by avoiding chemicals you are taking something that has a low probability out of the equation (which could be good) but the other half of it is genetics as well. It's a complex equation that has a lot of push and pull factors, but truthfully the only sure way to avoid all cancer risks is kill yourself right now with a gun. Part of living in the modern era with higher life expectancies is cancer, but to equate all cancers and to assume that all cancers are caused by the same chemical exposures is asinine. You obviously know really little on this matter, and you rely much to heavily on Dr. Google here. Maybe if you're actually interested in this read some journal articles, educate yourself.

15. Bandwagoner

I assumed you dipped your weed in it.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I dipped my balls in it!

2 people like this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Educate my self like you have? Say that cancer is complicated, refuse to take responsibility for my health and wait with my thumb up my ass until one day somebody else finds out?

" A lot of perfectly healthy 20 year old's get cancer "

" A lot of 90 years old who have smoked since they were 10 die cancer free"

The game of probabilities says that the likeliness of one of these hypothetical's happening is a 100 times more unlikely then other.

A healthy lifestyle can cut your chances of getting cancer, as well as dying from cancer, tremendously. If you disagree that's okay I respect your opinion.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well, looks like pro-mar1juana legislation passed in Oregon, Alaska and DC yesterday. Oregon and Alaska to move forward with Colorado/Washington State like mar1juana programs.

DC's might get "overruled" by the federal government... which is sad since DC's passed with the largest margin by far.

Separately, Florida voted down medical mar1juana, since only 57% voted for it and they needed 60% for some reason. Florida needs a supermajority of 60% to change their constitutional laws. In a bit or irony, they introduced that rule in 2006, and that law got on the books despite the fact that only 57% of the people voted for it... that's right, they introduced a law saying you'd need 60% supermajority to make constitutional amendments, except for the law in question. Only in Florida...

I started a thread on Texas legalization earlier in the year, and the consensus was don't look for Texas to legalize anytime soon, which is, sadly, probably true. If we were to put for a amendment for legalization, I hope they do so during a presidential election and not a mid-term, since the youngins don't come out in the same force for the mid-terms.